Are there any major works of art still missing from the Nazi's pillaging?

I was reading this semi-related article and was wondering if there were any major works of art that have not reappeared since the fall of the Nazi empire.

Does the Amber Room count?

Raphael’s Portrait of a Young Man from the Czartoryski is the obvious example.

It’s clearly currently missing. What all the arguments have been about is whether it’s merely lost or has suffered destruction at some point.
Catherine Scott-Clark and Adrian Levy rather convincingly suggest in their recent The Amber Room (Atlantic, 2004) that it was in Königsberg Castle when the city fell to the Soviets in 1945 and hence was technically “recovered”, but was destroyed in an accidental fire a few days later. Between Russian reluctance to clear up the details and peoples’ wish that it might somehow have survived the hazards of war and its aftermath, arguments will however surely continue. Probably indefinitely.

To carefully amend my own post, the same can technically be said about the Raphael. Both it and the Amber Room have indeed been missing since 1945.

The greatest collection never to have resurfaced is arguably the group of paintings from the Rothschilds’ collection in Paris that Goring picked out and then gave to Hitler. They included works by Fragonard, Gainsborough, Goya, Frans Hals, Rembrandt, Rubens, Watteau and, most notable of all, Vermeer’s Astronomer (not the one in the Louvre).

From your link–

Bolding by me.

Question answered?

I apologize for going slightly off topic for a moment, but this reminded of the Simpsons episode and was wondering if anyone knows if the works shown were actual examples of missing paintings?

Are you sure you’re not inventing a spurious Vermeer here? After all, the Louvre Astronomer was owned by the Paris Rothchilds, seized by the ERR, selected from their haul in the Jeu de Paume by Göring, given by him to Hitler (as part of the booty listed in attachment 10 to the Plaut report) and then recovered and returned to the Rothschilds after the war. Lynn Nicholas (The Rape of Europa, Macmillan, 1994, p414) quotes an anecdote about one of the family servants recognising it amongst repatriated loot. It then only entered the Louvre’s collection in 1983.

Nicholas (p409) also implies that the major Rothschild works from Paris, as given to Hitler, were amongst the first to be returned to France in 1945; I suspect most of these had turned up at Alt Aussee.
Of course, this was still only the tip of the iceberg, even as far as the Rothschilds were concerned. So much stuff was taken from them in France (and Austria) that I doubt that any more than a small minority of even just their stolen artworks has been accounted for since.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that pieces from the Amber Room have been recovered-only a few small ones, but still, that’s something. I believe they did recreated a fascimile at the Catherine Palace in Pushkin for display purposes.

IIRC, I read somewhere that Bob Jones University has a lovely art collection acquired in pre-war Europe.

From the link posted by Max Torque, on the history of amber–

Reading the beginning of the article, I was just thinking of buying amber jewerly… but knowing its medieval history of people being enslaved by corvée to gather it gives me pause. I would like some idea of the provenance of the current supply of amber that I would find in a jewelry store, and working conditions for the workers. I want me some Fair Trade jewelry to go with my coffee.

The CLAE - which is what I had checked - need to update their own database.

Aa-ha! I would have been surprised to learn of another Vermeer with that subject and I’d guessed that somewhere recording the loss, but overlooking the recovery, was likely to be the problem.

Do you mean Adolf Hitler? He’s the person who comes to mind when you refer to “the Nazi”.

I know it is an aside, but what happened to all the faked paintings that the famous dutch forger (hans van Meeghren) sold to the nazis? Van Meeghren specialized in faking vermeers-and his stuff was good enough to fool Dr. Abraham Bredius, the foremost Dutch art expert of the time.
Are any of the faked pictures still in existence? or were they detroyed?

Actually only one of the van Meegeren’s wound up in Nazi hands, but it was the fact that Göring had bought The Woman Taken In Adultery that led to him being investigated and unmasked. Like much else, it was recovered from the mines at Alt Aussee. Who it belonged to after van Meegeren was convicted was unclear, given the various illegalities involved on behalf of different parties, but a Dutch court decided that it was the property of the crown, i.e. the state. As a result, it’s now owned - along with at least one other of the fakes, Lady and Gentleman at a Spinet - by the Rijksdienst Beeldende Kunst (the Netherlandish Office for Fine Arts) in The Hague.
Various others are in private hands, while The Supper at Emmaus is in the Boymans Museum in Rotterdam. I don’t think any have been destroyed (at least not after leaving van Meegeren’s possession).
To my knowledge, none are routinely on public display, though some have been shown in specific exhibitions about forgeries.

I seem to recall watching one of those old, Unsolved Mysteries type show on the History Channel (it was hosted by Leonard Nimoy) about Nazi loot hidden somewhere near a lake in the Bavarian Alps. I don’t know if it was actual money, or artworks.

The excellent Robert Harris novel Fatherland has a painting in a Swiss bank vault, but I can’t recall which one it is, other than in a postscript its described as missing from the war.

From the Author’s Note of said novel:

(This is the only mention of a painting in the postscript, so I assume it’s what you were referring to.)

It was - many thanks, I no longer have my copy.