Are there any more name prefixes than O', Mc, or Van?

In Czech, the -ova ending is added to all women’s surnames. Martina Navratilova’s father and brothers are named Navratil.

Curly Chick: Not that common. See the url I posted above for the official Icelandic explanation.

Anyone remember the feminine equivalent of “Mc/Mac”?

yep, Dutch.

Ten Cate is one example,

Ter Willigen is another

And then you also have :

De (De Smet = Smith)

Van (Van Akker)

one person stated the D’
Is originally French, de as in “from” and was usually an estate or region. That’s why the “petits d’s” as they’re called, are usually landed gentry.

what’s it in Russian? Is it a three fold name, like in China?

example:

Ivan Pietrovitsj Ilna
his son: Wladimir Ivanovitsj Ilna
daughter: Olga Ivanova Ilna

Chinese it’s the family name (Yip) the generation name, which differs between girls and boys (i.e. Tien which means heaven), and then the first name (i.e. Fa which means present I think.)

I know two Chinese girls, their names are Yip Tienm Fa and Yip Tien Fong.

First translates as Heavenly Present Yip, second reads as Heavenely Flower Yip (People hwo know Mandarin, please correct me if I’m wrong).

In Belgium, people are taught to write their last name before their first name . In any other country, apart from China, it’s the other way around.
In China that’s because like it’s stressed that you are part of the family, first and foremost, after that you belong to the generation (generations didn’t use to mix in China. ), and after that you belong to yourself.
In the west, that’s unthinkable.
An era of individualism prevails at the moment.

Slavic languages and Romance languages are still subsets of the Indo-European family, though. I think you’re correct about the -uez/-wicz (-vich) connection.

I’m also fairly certain that Slavic -ski is cognate with Germanic -ish/-ische … and perhaps also with Latin -icus and Modern Romance -ique/-ico.

A good way to tie this all together would be to compare these possible cognates with words or suffixes with similar meanings in the more far-flung Indo-European languages, like Farsi, Marathi, Hindi, or Bengali.

graph with pedigree
site is in Dutch, though…

http://www.ned.univie.ac.at/publicaties/taalgeschiedenis/nl/germaans.htm

I teach adult ESL in a city with a high Montagnard population.

The Montagnards are a diverse group of Vietnamese who dont speak Vietnamese as a native language (or at least not at home) but one of several languages like Kaho, Jarai, or Rade which are wholely unrelated to Vietnamese.

Many of them have prefixes on their first names (many dont have last names, but some do). H is for women like Hbruih or Hcham. K is for men like Kser or Knem. Sometimes they introduce themselves with the prefix, sometimes they dont.

“In any other country, apart from China, it’s the other way around.”

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. Ever been to Korea? Probably influenced by China, but certainly a different country. And I can’t believe I don’t remember what the convention is in Japan.

The convention in

[ul][li]Japan is Family name then personal name.[/li][li]The convention in Vietnam is Family name–middle name–personal name. When a Vietnamese person “switches” his name to “Western style,” (s)he’ll change it to Personal name–middle name–Family name; interestingly enough, the middle name stays the middle name.[/li][li]Korea is Family name then personal name (may be one or more syllables for the personal name).[/ul][/li]
p.s. I’ve lived in both Korea and Japan, and have studied Vietnamese formally.

I’m no expert on Jewish surnames in general, but the particular case of Gell-Mann is famous in physics folklore for being, well, unusual.
His family originated from Galicia in the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and the original known spelling was Gellmann. It’s been suggested that this was a Russian version of the German Hellmann, meaning a man with blond hair. By the time of Murray’s parents’ wedding in the US, the name had mutated to Gellman, but shortly thereafter it became Gell-Mann. Gell-Mann has always consistently spelt it this way.
Certain eminent Jewish physicists have over the years ribbed him over both the spelling and his pronounciation of it as an affection.

The whole issue is discussed at some length in Chapter 1, “A Hyphenated American”, of the George Johnson biography of him, Strange Beauty.

No. Nic is the feminine of Mac, is the feminine of Ó. Simple as that.

Bean isn’t really a prefix in the true sense of the term. It’s the Irish word for “woman” or “wife”, and followed by a prefix and surname takes on the meaning of “Mrs”. The prefixes for a married woman are (feminine of Ó) or Mhic (feminine of Mac).

Áine Nic Mhathúna = Anne McMahon (unmarried)
Áine Mhic Mhathúna = Anne McMahon (married)
Bean Mhic Mhathúna = Mrs McMahon

This is probably quite off-topic, but I’ll try to answer anyway. :slight_smile:

Norway was ruled as a part of Denmark until 1814, when Sweden was granted Norway after the Napoleon wars. In the danish period the written language in Norway was mostly danish, since the elite got their education in Denmark and all official documents was written in danish. (Including the church-books that registered all newborn.) The emergence of family names that replaced the previous use of patronymic names occured during a periode when the language was mostly danish, and therfore it followed the danish pattern (using “-sen”).

During the union with Sweden a desire for a written language that was closer to the norwegian spoken language arose. Two different routes were followed to achieve this. “Landsmaal” was created by starting from scratch using the language spoken by farmers and fishers in villages all over Norway (mostly gathered and put into system by a man called Ivar Aasen), while “Riksmaal” was created by modifying danish to reflect the way norwegian was spoken in the major cities. In 1885 the Norwegian Storting (Parliament) decided that both forms should be recognised as official languages. In 1929 they decided to change the names to “Nynorsk” and “Bokmål” (literally “New Norwegian” and “Book Language”). In “bokmål” son is written as “sønn” while in “nynorsk” it is written as “son”. If the change from patronymic names had happened after 1885 it would likely have been large regional differences, where the spelling depended on the local preference for “Nynorsk” and “Bokmål”.

To show how usual names ending with “-sen” as apposed to “-sson” I have checked the ten most usual last names in Norway (Source) :

1   Hansen      59833    vs Hansson      704
2   Olsen       55322    vs Olsson       1120
3   Johansen    54995    vs Johansson    1979 
4   Larsen      41125    vs Larsson      three or less
5   Andersen    39944    vs Andersson    three or less
6   Nilsen      37838    vs Nilsson      1418
7   Pedersen    37555    vs Pedersson    three or less
8   Kristiansen 25070    vs Kristiansson three or less
9   Jensen      24730    vs Jensson      three or less
10  Karlsen     22838    vs Karlsson     three or less

This was probably more than you ever wanted to know about norwegian last names and language history. :slight_smile:

-uez is not a diminutive. The diminutive of Domingo is Dominguito, -ito is the diminutive suffix.

-uez is not the only suffix which means “son of (or descendant of)” in Spanish. The common suffix is -ez, as in González and Ramírez, Gómez, and Pérez. Rodrigo and Domingo end in the g(as in guttural) sound, if they ended just in ez the word combination would sound like the first sound of help. Then there is Díaz, which means son of Diego.

González- son of Gonzalo
Ramírez- son of Ramiro
Gómez- Have no idea
Pérez- son of Pedro

ooops, sorry, you’re right.
Countries surrounding China, like Vietnam, would be the same as China, onviously.
That was very sloppy of me, thanks

And it’s not Belgium. It’s Hungarian.

Nocuous: I’ve been to Norway several times and got familiar with the whole Landsmal/Riksmal/Nynorsk/Bokmal issue. I found it pretty fascintating. Thanks for the research on the -sen names in Norway. That was good!

I’ve seen TenHoven around our parts. I may have come across a Ter once or twice but I can’t remember any.
Wisconsin has two areas of Dutch immigrant settlements: one around the Sheboygan area (on Lake Michigan north of Milwaukee); and one in the Appleton area, on the northern shore of Lake Winnebago (or, southwest of Green Bay, if you prefer).
There’s “Ver”, too, but I think it’s just a slurred version of “Vander”.

Nocuous:

This is WAY off topic, but I forgot to add: I just love it when one of those hot Norweigian babes says “Riksmal”. It sounds so sexy the way it flows off the tongue…

Son of Gomer? :wink:

Am I correct in the surmision that Juarez is “son of Juan” and therefore is a cognate of English Johnson?