Are there any streets with names containing all four cardinal points?

Here’s a bonus. Zoom in a few clicks and look about 327’ to the northwest.

That’s right. Southeast Circle NW runs right into Northeast Circle SW.:smiley:

Well, I-35 splits into I-35E and I-35W, and they both have a North and a South, but no one (except one of the GPS programs on my phone, and it’s very jarring to hear and we make fun of it) says “I-35 East North”. It’s “I-35E North”. The E is just an E.

I seem to recall that Wacker (?) Avenue in Chicago is designated with all 4 compass points, AND an Upper and a Lower. Any Windy City Dopers out there to say yea or nay?

Has anyone found one that uses synonyms for some of the cardinal points? E.g. is there a “N Occidental Drive SE” or a “South Austria Street NW”?

Yes, there are parts of Wacker Drive that are either north Wacker, south Wacker, east Wacker, or west Wacker, and there is an upper and a lower (and even a Lower lower in one part, although I’m not sure if that’s the official name for it or not, but Wacker has three levels just east of Michigan Avenue.)

This is true. If you start on Wacker Drive by the lake, you’re on East Wacker. Go west and when you cross State, you’re on West Wacker. Keep going west and it’ll curve south past Franklin, and now you’re on North Wacker. Keep going and once you cross Madison, you’re on South Wacker. There is also an Upper (local) and Lower (express, more or less) component to Wacker throughout most of its length.

There is also, for a short stretch, a Lower Lower Wacker Drive. There’s not much down there other than some loading docks and, fairly infamously, the downtown auto pound. You can see all three levels at once on Street View, but I don’t think Lower Lower Wacker has any Street View images. (Both Lower and Upper Wacker do, though, which confuses Google Maps to no end if you try to click around; you’ll bounce seemingly randomly between the two.)

Now you’re just gloating …

Huh. I coulda sworn you could access lower lower Wacker on street view through Google Maps via Field Blvd here, but it warps you up a level if you try to enter. Weird. I could swear I’ve done this before on street view.

Great job kunilou! How did you find it?

Do you suppose the residents there ever get the right mail? If I were the post man there, I’d throw it in a big pile in the middle and let the developer who named those streets sort it out. :slight_smile:

OTOH, if after partying late at night you’re trying to visit your friends at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE and accidentally find yourself drunkenly pounding on the door at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, you’ll probably have a *really *bad time. Some folks just have *no *sense of humor. :slight_smile:

So there’s at least one! Thanks.

When I lived in the desert, lettered streets were a mile apart and ran East-and-West. Between them, the streets would be [letter]-[number] ascending from the north. Additionally, the streets were on the east side of town and the west side of town, divided by a North-South street called Division. So you might have 2542 West Avenue L-12, usually abbreviated 2542 W Ave L-12. But if you ordered something in the mail, as often as not the shipper would assume you were on West Avenue, apartment L-12 or W Avenue, apartment L-12.

What’s SD policy on spiking the intellectual football?

I used to live on SW North Dakota in Beaverton. There’s also a NW West Union here, but no NE counterpart (everything here is NW or SW).

OK, now we’re mentioned on the Map site Twelve Mile Circle for kunilou’s discovery. Huzzah!

[sub]it’s at the bottom of the “Barton Swing” topic[/sub]