Are there any studies that palm reading actually predicts the future?

For instance, could everyone who died in the World Trade Center have had a “life” line that was abbreviated? What about women whose palm says they won’t have any children? or 3 children? Louise

Actually, there is a significant lack of evidence, so we’ll save everyone the trouble of looking it up.

There is over 1 million US dollars if anyone can predict the future based on palm reading.

Visit www.randi.org

There is at least one other group offering money if such things as palm reading, pyschic powers, iris reading and such can be proven to work.

There are no scientific studies/studies done correctly that will show palm reading predicts the future. Anecdotes, claims and impressions from people might exist, but they hardly constitutre proof or a ‘study’.

Check out the link.

Weazer66,
You are kidding, right???

I seem to remember reading that some French doctors a few years ago said that there was a statistically significant number of people who have certain types of palm prints who go on to develop heart problems so in that sense, your palm might predict your future… but then probably so would eating a lot of steak and smoking two packs a day. :wink:

On famous skeptic, Ray Hyman, was converted by palm reading.

He was reading palms for a living. It started out as just a way to make money, but his customers were so amazed by his readings that he started to believe.

A skeptical friend of his suggested that, as an experiment, he should tell some of his customers the exact opposite of what the palm was telling him. He tried this reluctantly, and discovered that his clients were just as thrilled by what he told them.

Cite

Palm reading and a great many other “supernatural” fortune-telling schticks work by being vague. Often, as the mark gives more specific feedback, the successful fortune teller can work that information in and make it seem like they have deduced it. Even seemingly specific things, like lifelines, are subject to lots of interpretation. What is a “long” life, for example? If you live to be 100? Sure, yeah . . . But what if you live to be 90? Or 80? If someone has a long lifeline, but they’re cut down by an accident in the prime of life, well, obviously, that’s just fate–palmistry, after all, can’t be expected to predict everything.

But accuracy isn’t really important at all. What people really want is for someone to pay attention to them, to act as though their problems are important. Fortune tellers also give them a sense of empowerment because the marks think that they can anticipate the future, and therefore maybe do something about it.

If there’s any validity to palm reading at all, it would probably be because the hand is a useful tool for cold-reading (as any Sherlock Holmes fan could tell you). By examining someone’s hand, you can tell a lot about their station in society, grooming habits, and even their state of health.

(I wouldn’t be surprised if a really adept observer couldn’t tell if a woman was a mother or even pregnant based on the condition of her nails, especially before the days of vitamin supplements.)

Palm reading works the same way a whole heap of other nonsense works. It relies on two principles:-

• cold reading
  • telling the sucker what they came to hear.

The contents of your hand only provide a framework on which to spin the tale.

At last - a question to which there is actually a definitive answer! Yay!

Answer: None whatsoever.

Nor will there ever be any such evidence. This is because ‘palm reading’ is a scam. It’s only purpose is not to reveal the future, but to persuade people to give the palm reader money in return for uttering garbage which is an insult to the intelligence of the client. And that’s all.

Many studies of palm reading have predicted that, in the future, palm reading will not be able to predict the future.

Well, there are actually some studies that show finger length can be a predictor of homosexuality.

[I believe this is the site (U of CA at Berkley) that the other sources took from. [\url]

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/695142.stm]This one (the BBC) has additional details.](http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2000/03/03-29-2000a.html)

There is more to palm reading than just reading the lines of the hand. All sorts of observable things are taken into effect. It is pretty easy to tell when someone works a lot with their hands or doesn’t, it is also easier to see if they tend to have nervous habits (like biting fingernails and cuticles), are meticulous about their hygeine (manicured and clean nails), etc. This is about half of general palmistry and pretty difficult to refute. It says a lot about if the person is craftsy (likes making things) or lazy. They are general things that you can see about a person only by looking at their hands.

As it is now, I can tell if a person is a practicing classical guitarist with 90% accuracy simply by looking at their fingernails on both hands. This is because classical guitarist’s nails should be a very specific shape for the best tone ie, short on the left hand, longer and squared off on the right hand. The only time I get it wrong is if they haven’t been playing for very long or haven’t been playing for a long time.

In the pagan group I belong to, other people that also read hands don’t typically get to the lines until very last because the rest of the hands tell much more. A google search for medical studies that show discernable medical problems that can be seen from the fingernails. These are things that good palmists do. They don’t have authority to diagnose a person but it puts some things into light.

The other half of palmistry talks about the mystic side and future things such as how long you are to live, how wealthy you will be andthings like that. This is pretty easy to refute and when I was reading palms regularly I would always preface that these things are for rubes but are still nonetheless interesting. Palmists and other divinators who read curses and things like that are scam artists simply out for your money. As a practicing palmist, a palmist who learned from other practicing palmists, and also having a current circle of palmist friends who learned from people unknown to myself, I have to say that none of us take the lines to mean anything. We read them because they are there but discern anything else from other perceivable and documented phenomena on the hand. Most skeptics I know don’t bother getting all the facts or just look at the showmanship aspect of divination thus dismiss the entire art form. Just remember when going to a palmist, they have no license or right to diagnose you and any curse thing that may or may not be mentioned is a scam.

Yes, there are. I can explain them to you for 20 bucks, if you’d like.

Ho hum. Another arbitrary swipe at ‘skeptics’, as if being skeptical is somehow unhelpful in a thread about palmistry.

Dorkus, don’t accuse other people of not knowing the facts unless you want to get hoist by your own petard. Have you demonstrated palmistry under test conditions for the media and had the accuracy of your readings independently documented? I have. Have you given readings to people under test conditions and been evaluated as 99.9% accurate? I have. Put up or shut up.

I have done all this and more, and I have always admitted freely and openly, after the demonstrations, that what I did was pure hokum and fakery, nothing more.

So I figure I know as much about palm readng as you, and maybe then some. Keep your accusations to yourself, my friend.

How clearly can we say this on a message board devoted to fighting ignorance? It. Is. A Scam.

To follow up on several responses already given, a trained person can do a fair amount of cold reading by examining the characteristics of a person’s hand. For instance, one could discern that I am right handed and do a fair amount of writing and/or drawing from observing that the web of my right hand, betwen the thumb and forefinger, is much more muscular than the comparable area on my left hand, and that I have a distinctive callous and indentation, formed from holding pencils and pens, on the second finger of my left hand.

There is a brief but interesting discussion of palmistry tricks in William Lindsey Gresham’s novel Nightmare Alley, reviewing how one can identify a practitioner of various trades by tell-tale callouses on the hand.

IIRC correctly, either Dear Abby or Ann Landers wrote of a mortician of their acquaintance who was in the habit of examining the lifelines of cadavers. He had interred numerous people who had died young despite remarkably long life lines, and numerous people who lived to a ripe old age despite markedly short ones. I dimly recall that there was a statistical study of this kind once which rendered similar results.

Palm reading = Cold reading.

ianzin, well, I provided links showing things that the hand can tell you which is part of palmistry they weren’t palmistry specific because if they were skeptics would immediately say it isn’t correct. You simply respond to my assertations with a eloquently spoken “nuh uh.” Please refute all of the sites and learn something about palmistry before trying to refute something you don’t understand. I should know better than to post anything that remotely resembles the paranormal here because that is when all the skepdicks come out and play.