Are There Any White People Named 'Washington'?

“Urban” being used a euphemistic black racial descriptor is pretty well documented. You can’t ignore that fact that “pop,” “rock” “goth” and “techno” not generally listed as urban music forms but “rap”, “R&B” and “neo-soul” are.

Nobody’s ignoring it, we’re just bitching about how it’s an abuse of language.

I think I understand how it came to be used this way: “Urban” is an antonym for “Country,” and you don’t get much whiter than “country” music. It’s those guys who committed the first offense – there’s very little that’s rural about Nashville or the “country” music that’s produced there.

Outside of the U.S., “urban music” means what you’d expect it to mean, and includes everything from techno, house and drum&bass to jazz to hip-hop. The kind of stuff that gets played in any sort of cosmopolitan club, as opposed to the more provincial sounds that the unsophisticated rubes in the suburbs and backwaters groove to. (Ouch! Stop!)

If we need to pigeonhole classes of music into quasi-racist phyla, why not just be direct about it, instead of being cryptic and using a term that has another meaning which is both intrinsic and useful?

It’s irksome.

I think the tangent is way wide of the mark.

Urban music may or may not refer to black music. That’s beside the point.

Urban **legend ** is a completely different term having nothing to do with race. The best I can explain it is “popular misinformation”. It includes things like alligators in the sewer, putting cats in the microwave, babysitter on pot putting the baby in the oven & the turkey in the crib, and all kinds of “it happened to a friend of a friend” stories.

You might have missed the “last name” part of the question…

:slight_smile:

Auughh!!! Yes to the first part, but then no no no no no no no.

“Urban legend” is a 20th-century term, coined by folklorists once they realized that legend (a type of folk narrative) existed among modern, urban, educated, first-world people just as much as among rural and less-educated people. It was popularized as a term by Jan Brunvand. Since then, folklorists have largely supplanted the term with “contemporary legend” (as Chronos mentioned) or just “legend.” Meanly, the general population has kept it and even added the monstrous hybrid term “urban myth.”

The thing is, to be a legend, there has to be a story. A belief or a misconception or summary of a story cannot, technically, be a legend, urban or otherwise. The story about alligators in the sewer is a legend; “there are alligators in the sewers” is a statement of belief, to be sent to the Straight Dope for verification.

[crawls off soapbox]

The 1930 U.S. census had 1,049 heads-of-household with the surname Washington who were white.

Alabama, 43
Arizona, 6
Arkansas, 28
California, 42
Colorado, 7
Connecticut, 8
Delaware, 2
District of Columbia, 15
Florida, 29
Georgia, 78
Idaho, 3
Illinois, 13

etc.

How about rock music. Any major black rock acts in the last twenty years?

Lenny Kravitz, Local H, Ice T / Body Count (“Cop Killer” was not a rap song), Skunk Anansie, Prince, Fishbone, Living Color, Suicidal Tendencies…

Living Color has been MIA the last twenty years. Of the others, only Lenny Kravitz and Prince and be conisdered both major and rock acts.

Suicidal Tendencies and Local H have or have had black people in them, but I don’t know if they’d really be black rock acts. The primary creative forces in both bands are white boys.

Bad Brains.

Continuing the hijack… Living Colour released an album, Collideoscope, in 2003 and toured extensively. Critically acclaimed, but not a huge commercial success. But hard rock tends to be a niche market, methinks.

And are there any white people called Winston? (apart from the Churchill dynasty, that is)

Wow, that is really rare. Does it say how many black ones there were? It must have been many times that.

The 1903 U.S. census has 898 heads-of-household with the surname Winston who are white.

The 1930 U.S. census has the following heads-of-household with the surname Washington and these racial classifications:

Negro: 14,378
Colored: 58
Mulatto: 0

For the surname Winston:

Negro: 1,297
Colored: 4
Mulatto: 0

I meant 1930, of course.

So the answer to the OP seems to be that there are whites in the U.S. named “Washington”, but they are outnumbered by blacks with that name by a little more than 14 to 1.

They won their Grammy in 1989. That’s less than twenty years ago.

I couldn’t follow those census answers.
Were there more or less white than black Washington families in 1930?
And how many white or black Lincoln families?