Are There Any White People Named 'Washington'?

From this article:

The guy’s name was Crapps Dingle?!? And his son had his name changed to Negro Dingle. Wow, this is an object lesson about how much one man hated his slave name and the lengths he would go to in order to disassociate himself from it.

The 1930 U.S. census had 14,436 heads-of-household with the surname Washington who were black, and 1,049 heads-of-household who were white.

The 1930 U.S. census had 221 heads-of-household with the surname Lincoln who were were black, and 2,079 heads-of-household who were white.

Oh, and there were five people named Lincoln Washington in the 1930 U.S. census.

Good lord, what dreadful names.

I just wanted to point out - though I’m sure most know already - that the source of many of these names are places in the British Isles:

Washington - towns in Sussex and Tyne-and-Wear
Lincoln - city (and county town) in Lincolnshire
Dingle - peninsula and town in the Republic of Ireland

Not sure that there’s a “Clinton” in England, though there is an Aston Clinton. “-ton” means “township” or “enclosure” in ye Olde Englishe.

So ** Sureal** was right after all and Larry “You do ask some peculiar questions” Mudd was wrong after all. :cool:

I’m actually talking about Winston as a first name.

Hootie and the Blowfish

Hence the user name…

wAG George?

That’s not rock, it’s crap.

In the 1930 U.S. census, there were 1,320 heads-of-household with the first name Winston. Of those, 956 (72%) were white.

George Washington is current?

Perhaps this may be of interest:

“With the end of the Civil War, slaves – whose surnames, if they had one, indicated their ownership – were able to choose names of their own. At the time, Washington was probably the best-known and revered name a person could take. The modern legacy of those countless choices is that better than 90 percent of all Americans named Washington [in 2002] are black, according to David Word, a Census Bureau demographer…. It is the common American name whose bearer is most likely to be black…. The rush to choose the name Washington began even before 1865. When the African American Civil War Memorial, which lists the names of the more than 200,000 United States Colored Troops, was unveiled in Washington, D.C. in 1998, Edwin Washington of the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society calculated that 1,885 of those soldiers were named Washington. Nearly half of them were named George Washington. Another 15 were named General Washington.”

Jonathan Tilove, “A lot of Washingtons make black history,” The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Feb. 13, 2002), pp. A1, A15.

I’ve heard a joke to this effect…in dubious taste, but certainly germaine to this discussion:

Q: What do Washington, Jefferson and Jackson have in common?

A: They were the last white guys with those names.

I might add… I’ve never met a white person named Washington. But one of our son’s middle names is the same as that of the first President.

Micahel Jackson, the writer of ‘Blame it on the Boogie’ was a white English man in his 30’s (at the time).

Thriller!

At the time G. Washingtons forebears emigrated the town of Washington was very small (it’s been expanded a lot since the 1960’s), so there probably weren’t many people of that name to start with.

At the time this thread was started anyway.

For those interested, here’s a recent update on “the blackest name in America”:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110221/ap_on_re_us/us_the_blackest_name