Are there scientifically conducted surveys on the desire of parapalegics for a "cure"?

Cure is obviously a loaded term to some, at least when the condition is one a person is born with instead of one acquired through injury and/or illness. I’ve on occasion (on the Internet) heard that there is a certain amount of able-ism in thinking everyone wants to be normal/have typical functioning.

So I’ve been curious as to if there are surveys conducted in any sort of rigorous fashion (I mean, not an online poll, participants verified, etc.) to see what the general mindset of persons with that condition is in regards to desire for a cure and whether or not they’d take it if it became available (as some may not actively want a cure but still would pursue if it was available, and others might not want it at all, whereas still others might want it badly). I could guess, but maybe I’m just projecting my own biases.

In particular, I’m interested in breakdowns by whether or not there is an injury (v. born with condition, even if degenerative) type of injury (paraplegic, quadriplegic - complete v. incomplete), age at onset, etc. Basically, what I really want to know is what percentage of those paralyzed as adults wouldn’t say yes to a treatment/cure that would return them to fully unparalyzed state. How many actually prefer their “new normal” - I’m certain that there are some that do, but I would think it a small percentage. Similarly how many actively want it, even if they know it’s isn’t currently possible (I don’t mean people who pursue pipe dreams, just emotionally want).

But again, I’m operating off my own assumptions, and I just was really hoping there was actual data on this somewhere, that this was something that had actually been polled somewhere.

For comparison with deaf people there are some who have declined to get an implant that would let them hear. The implant does not work for all forms of deafness. The people who could use it and turn it down are OK with being deaf. I worked with a guy a while back who was deaf but very good at reading lips so as long as you faced him he could pretty much know what you said . He was one of the first group in the US to get the implant. He was not deaf from birth he became deaf as an adult.