Are there states where something is uniquely illegal?

Everywhere you go, it’s illegal to kill somebody with malice. It’s going to be illegal to steal or punch somebody without consent, too. No surprises there.

But people are presumed to know all of the laws. So, my question could be thought of as, “Are there any states where, upon arrival, a person should be told: You can’t do that around here.”

The closest I could think of was marijuana laws - as our country progresses towards legalization, there may come a time where it’s just one or a few places where people have to be reminded, “you can’t do that here.”

And state tax evasion laws are going to only exist in states that have state income taxes, right?

Maybe laws regarding fireworks?

What are your thoughts. Thanks for your replies.

Here are some potentials.

Non-coral-reef-safe sunscreen is illegal in Hawaii. Not sure if any other states have followed suit.

New Jersey is now the only state where you cannot pump your own gas. Oregon has apparently relented (at least partially.)

You also can’t fish for ornamental (read: aquarium) fish in Hawaii after a recent ban. If you want fish traditionally from Hawaii, you’ll have to find imported or captive bred ones.

Ferrets are illegal to keep as pets in California. Quaker (Monk) Parakeets are illegal to own in several states.

Restaurants in Wisconsin still serve butter and margarine is only by request. I’m not sure how this translates into law but I think they are require to have margarine available.

From the 50 states link:

In Indiana … it’s illegal to ride a horse above 10 MPH.

Hopefully your horse has a speedometer! No horse shall be “driven” at a speed above 10 MPH in Indiana, due to high-speed horse races back in the day.

Well, riding horses and driving horses are actually two very different things! And Driving a horse at speed is MUCH trickier and more dangerous than riding at speed.

Ferrets are also illegal in Hawaii.

They were in NYC also but I think that was repealed. Rudy had put that one in.

I wonder if it’s also illegal to travel on a horse at speed.

Do you mean to limit it to laws that are actually enforced? For example, until 2003, sodomy was still illegal in several states. In that case, though, the US Supreme Court ruled all the existing laws invalid, but the laws may still actually be on the books.

Also, of course, liquor laws vary widely state to state and even on a local basis (there are still dry counties). But generally, that’s a prohibition on sales, not consumption, so unlikely that you’d really be able to break those laws as an individual.

I didn’t think Oregon had - I believe they had for COVID-related reasons, but have every intention of returning to it being illegal to pump your own gas. (Although I do believe motorcyclists are always exempt, as well as at some rural gas stations, so maybe that’s what you mean by “partially.”)

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that, but then I’ve never asked for margarine at a restaurant. However, it I could see it being an issue if they were attempting to pass off margarine as butter. I recall hearing that if you go into a bar and ask for a “jack and coke” or a “Bacardi and coke”, they have to use Jack Daniels or Bacardi, not just whatever whiskey or rum they feel like using (unless they clarify that you’re not getting what you ordered).

Also a long, long time ago, it was actually illegal for margarine (in Wisconsin) to be yellow in color. The dairy farmers were concerned about people mistaking it for butter. I’m 40 and never remember it being a thing, but people that are closer in age to my parents will tell you that when they bought margarine, it would come with a yellow dye packet so you could make it yellow on your own.

It is illegal to shoot a sasquatch in Skamania County, Washington.

Most of these lists are misleading or untrue. Some of the supposed laws they quote are not existent, and in other cases deliberately misleading. For example, a town might have a law that says it is illegal to tie an animal to a parking meter. But the publisher of the list, getting creative, says that the town outlaws tying an elephant, a tiger, or an alligator to a parking meter. While technically true, it makes the law sound silly when it really has a legitimate purpose.

Oregon still bans self service gas. There was a temporary lifting of the ban for Covid, but I never saw it in action.

I’m in Oregon and I’ve had the doors off my jeep all summer so far. Pennsylvania is the only state to ban that. Different states have different requirements about rear view mirrors in regards to “doorlessness”.

IIRC, that’s been relaxed a bit – rather than being completely illegal, it’s now possible to obtain a ferret permit.

I frequently see Jeeps driving with the doors removed in PA, so this may be selectively enforced (or I may just live near a bunch of scofflaws).

My contribution to the OP is that radar detectors are illegal in Virginia and Washington, D.C. There are signs informing motorists of this when they cross the border. I’m not sure how useful radar detectors are now that radar-controlled cruise control is common.

Fortune telling is illegal in Caroline County, Maryland.

I don’t know either, but the various reef-safe certifications are becoming common on sunscreen bottles these days.

That was a shock in New Jersey! I hopped out, grabbed the nozzle, put it in the car, and then looked at the pump for the credit card slot, and the attendant came up and the exchange went like this:

Him: “You can’t do that!”
Me: “What?”
Him: “You can’t pump your own gas in New Jersey”
Me: “Sure I can. Watch me!”
Him: “No, I mean it’s illegal.”
Me: “Really?”
Him: “Yeah, I have to do it.”
Me: “That’s absurd, but have at it.”