Are there states where something is uniquely illegal?

When we went self-service in Australia, they also modified the pumps to be ~self service safe~. Which is slightly irritating to those of us who did pump our own gas back in the day. Part of it is that you have to hold the trigger the whole time. By the time you’ve filled the tank, you’re so sick of holding the trigger, you’re glad to quit. As they’ve been updated over subsequent years, they are also harder to reset, slower when reset, and lock out.

They don’t seem to have adopted those measures in any state I’ve been in, but I’m pretty much a Left Coaster and maybe on the other side they’re being a bit more responsible, but I’ve never been anywhere you can’t just slide the handle into a notch to pump on its own and a lot of pumps go really fast so when it spills it spills a bunch. And man, people just can’t seem to get over that fucked up little dance with trying to stop a fast pump on a round number and they go at it like it’s a fucking slot machine that’ll pay off if they get it right. Pretty soon they’re spitting ten cents worth down their paint job (and man, there’s a big difference in how many cars have streaks of messed up paint from spilled gas between Oregon and Washington lol) and trailing a splash all over the ground too.

I was a delivery courier and drove hundreds of miles a day and saw a lot of different gas stations with plenty of time to notice what goes on and how they look. I also spent a couple months posted up at a very busy Portland gas station doing signature gathering and watched how a full serve station operated up close and the people who have to clean the islands and parking lots are the ones who work hard to keep them from getting messed up in the first place. The Oregon way is objectively better–another big advantage is there aren’t any drive offs in a full serve station and fewer people crossing the islands to go back and forth to prepay and get change means fewer of those minor accidents like slip and falls or getting nudged by an inattentive driver.

In Wisconsin schools and prisons must serve butter unless there’s a doctor’s note. Whether the doctor’s note requirement is enforced - who knows?

Ferrets are illegal if used for hunting in Kentucky. You also have to have a permit to keep a feral ferret as a pet.

It’s not only billboards, but any type of non-permanent signs over a certain size.

Because of our isolation, there are lots of animals (no hamsters for us) and plants that are prohibited here. https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/import-program/pq-non-domestic-animal-and-microorganism-lists/

Snakes as mentioned are on the list, but we do have the tiny Hawaiian Blind Snake that looks like an earthworm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indotyphlops_braminus

Since Hawaii is rabies free, all dogs and cats arriving from the out of State (except for New Zealand, Australia, Guam and the British Isles which are also rabies free). must be quarantined up to 120 days.
Service dogs with rabies vaccination certification are exempt.

I lived in Oregon for 8 years, and now live in Washington (and before Oregon, lived in California for 5 years). I haven’t seen a notable number of “stains and slick patches” and have never seen anyone spill gas all over the place, nor drive off with the handle in the car.

I’m sure it DOES happen, but I don’t think it’s as widespread as being claimed.

And, rainy weather and all, I would much rather pump my own gas than sit around, and wait for one person to try to pump gas into four cars at the same time. Filling the car up with gas always takes way longer than it should, and it can’t be healthy for the people employed in the industry to breathe in gasoline fumes all day.

The thing is I live in a state which has had self-service as an option for most of my life. So I have also had extensive personal lived experience in pumping gas. And my experience does not match yours.

Oregon has self service gas now, it just depends upon where you live. I pump my own gas all the time now. I live in a large county with only about 30k people. You can pump your gas with a debit/credit card 24 hours a day. Most places will still send someone out during regular business hours but you can still pump your own if you want, which I do.

The law was changed because there are areas where there are only a few gas stations and none of them operate 24hours a day, making it a big inconvenience if you need gas in the off hours.

Back in 1975 I got a ticket in Zion, Illinois for making a right turn on a red light. I told the officer it was legal in Washington where I was from. The 3 others in the car, each from a different state, all said it was legal in those states. The officer called us liars and gave me a ticket for $12. It is now legal in all 50 states and territories since 1980. I never paid the ticket.

I think you may have experience with some very old self-service pumps. Every pump I’ve used in the last 20 years in the Eastern U.S., if you’re using the tab and notch to “auto-depress” the trigger, once the tank is full the pump detects it and kicks the trigger off. To overfill you would have to then manually depress the trigger again–note that even doing that, the trigger auto kicks off. So then you have to manually depress it again. You basically have to keep working hard to actually overfill a gas tank and overflow it out of the car these days.

Also there’s one chain, and I can’t remember which one, but at least in Virginia it was only one specific chain that did it and I don’t use them regularly, has the “tab” removed from all their pumps. I’ve never known why, but since the tab/notch is normal in Virginia it was clearly just a corporate decision. At those stations you have to hold down the trigger the whole time. FWIW I may be an outlier but I usually just hold the pump trigger down the whole time anyway, unless I’m also doing something like washing my window with the squegee.

While I’m obviously not familiar with every state’s laws on the matter, to my knowledge, messing with Texas is only illegal in Texas.

In the UK, you would be hard-pressed to find a petrol station with an attendant. If you are disabled (and, I guess, can’t be arsed to DIY) you can press a button and ask for assistance, but you may have to wait a while until they can find someone properly trained to fill your tank.

Larger places, like those on motorways, may have separate high-speed pumps for trucks. These will be able to lock on, but none of the regular pumps will - you have to stand and hold the trigger. With fuel now topping £1.30 a litre ($5.00 a US gallon), no one wastes any.

Free PVC gloves are always available. You can usually pay at the pump, but some rural places want you to come inside in the hope that you will buy something from the shop.

My parents lived for a time in Abingdon, Virginia, Washington county, and it was the only wet county for miles around, as into North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and (of course) Virginia. I visited them during the holidays and when I was with my Dad, we went past this non-descript green store with no real signage and a line two blocks long outside it. “What on earth is that?”

“It’s the Baptists getting their Christmas cheer at the ABC store.” I found out it was the highest grossing store in all of Virginia.

The Martha Washington Inn was the only restaurant with a liquor license for thirty miles either way on I-81 but you had to to get the right server. The first time they went there my folks ordered a meal and a couple martinis which the waitress took. After about ten minutes, no drinks so Dad went to the bar to ask what was up. “Oh, that was [name]. She won’t give me any drink orders. Here ya go.”

Thereafter if they wound up in her section they would get their own drinks and left no tip.

I was on a business trip to a dry county once, and went to a restaurant (built out of two mobile homes) with some other folks, where the deal was that you could become a “member” of the “club” that the restaurant owner ran (clubs being allowed to serve alcohol to members). Not being a drinker myself I didn’t care, but apparently the people I went to lunch with were very familiar with the arrangement (I have no idea whether dancing was legal in the county, but not wanting to get in trouble with John Lithgow, I kept my toes from tripping)

This thread reminds me of something that happened back in 2004.

I live in Ohio, and needed to travel to Hill AFB for business. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Layton, UT.

Next to the Hilton was Roosters Brewing Company. I love beer. :slight_smile: Especially microbrews. So I wandered on over there after dinner.

I sat at the bar and ordered a Polygamy Pale Ale.

“What would you like to eat?” the bartender asked.

“Thanks, but I’m not hungry right now. I’ll just have beer for now.”

“Ha, you must not be from around here. You’re not allowed to drink unless there’s food in front of you.”

“What?! You must be kidding.”

“Nope. Welcome to Utah. I would suggest getting a small loaf of bread. It’s only a $1.50.”

So I got the bread and beer.

The beer was O.K., but bland. No real kick to it. I then learned there was a state law requiring the alcohol content of beer to be < 3.2%.

So there I was, drinking anemic beer by myself while staring at a loaf of stale bread. :frowning:

I assume things are different now in Utah?

Going back to the OP: Crafter_Man’s story reminds me that Minnesota is currently the only state that limits the ABW of grocery store-sold beer to 3.2% ABW. (This article states that the 3.2% designation is actually alcohol by weight, not volume, and such beer are actually around 4% ABV, as well as noting that MN is the last 3.2% state.)

I seem to remember Graham Norton’s TV show discovering that Minnesota has a law specifically forbidding sexual intercourse with a fish. So he phoned up a local police station over there to ask about it, and got a charming lady, whose first reaction to being told the phone conversation was live on TV in Britain was to say "But I haven’t done my hair!’.

Regarding local fauna, there was a rumor that stealing a saguaro from a park or other locations in Arizona could get you 25 years in jail. Not true, but there is a rule anyhow. It can get you 1 to 3 years of prison time.

https://cronkitezine.asu.edu/spring2010/arizonalaws/nativeplants.html

The most serious crime dealing with native plants, like cacti, is a class four felony. While a class four felony is a serious offense, it does not carry a prison sentence anywhere close to the 25 years the rumored law enforced.

The term of imprisonment for a class four felony sentences ranges from one year to 3.75 years for first-time felony offenders, according to statute 13-702 of the criminal code.

Though the actual prison time for destroying or removing a native plant is less than four years as opposed to the rumored 25 years, the fact that the crime is considered a class four felony still makes it somewhat unusual.

Some of the other class four felonies listed in the state criminal code include negligent homicide, kidnapping, arson, credit card forgery and prostituting a minor. Though cactus theft seems minor to some, Chancey said the delicacy of the desert warrants the punishment of destroying it.

“Our desert is not as tough as it looks,” she said. “We’re just here to help protect it.”

It’s probably not legally actionable, but I hear that in Chicago, asking for ketchup for your hot dog is a crime against cuisine. In some places, you’ll be shown the door, and not jokingly.

Regarding self service gas being illegal, do convienence stores in those states sell gasoline?