Are there states where something is uniquely illegal?

People today have smartphones as a distraction, perhaps?

Any restaurant will need some time before they can start serving food, to get the cooking appliances up to temperature, and obviously at least some employees must be there to start that process. It sounds like the only thing unusual about that French restaurant is that they allowed people to come in and sit during that time between when employees arrived and full opening.

https://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/okc-cop-gas-.jpg

Plenty of photos and videos of police/sheriffs and others driving off. You were just lucky.

Oregon is (for now) the only state where it is illegal to use “buyers’ love letters” in a real estate transaction. These are the letters a buyer provides along with their offer on a home explaining why the seller should choose them. It opens the door to potential discrimination.

I expect this will not be unique to Oregon for very long.

Like I said, I witnessed a moron try to top off his tank and spill some decent amount of gas just last time i got gas. Sure, it wasn’t a “major spill” but the Air Quality dudes don’t want even a pint spilled.

The only time I ever had a “major spill” was when I got a malfunctioning pump handle that didn’t click off when the tank was full. That ended up overflowing my gas tank and spilling gas all over my pants and shoes.

Are you SURE it wasn’t just your meth cook ex-partner dousing your carpets in gasoline for revenge?

I’ve bought a few houses in my time. I have never even heard that this exists. It’s never been hinted to me that I would need to write a letter. Maybe it’s for more high end deals?

It seems to be a recent thing. We were encouraged to write one for a house we were seriously considering last year. It wasn’t high end.

We wrote them when house hunting this year. We were careful to imply that we intended to have children without specifically lying about it.

When I read the words “meth cook” at first I thought you were responding to my other post in this thread about attempting to buy Sudafed in Oregon.

It was a thing in the San Francisco Bay Area 20 years ago when the housing market first was going what seemed to be crazy at the time. In that market, sellers would set a date on which they would open all offers, and then choose the best. The thought was that a letter might act as a tie breaker, or encourage the seller to give you the opportunity to match the highest bid if they really liked you.

I’m not sure if it ever really worked, but it’s easy to see why it’s not a good idea if preventing discrimination is a goal. Even with the best intentions, as a seller you’re probably going to unconsciously look more favorably on someone like you.

I have owned a home in Santa Barbara since 1993. I couldn’t tell you exactly when it started but it was for sure in the late 90s. It’s not exactly the same thing but I will get unsolicited letters in the mail from people looking to buy my not for sale house. It almost always from a young couple looking to buy a first home and often with a picture of them.

That has to be the worst cold call ever.

I was at Hill AFB between 2009-2013, but didn’t drink. I do know that the Class Six (the on-base liquor, smokes, gas station and convenience store for all y’all non-military types) sold full kegs of beer and all the hard booze you could want. But they also sold “strong beer” (greater than 3.2%) which had a bright orange sticker slapped on the side of the case. IIRC, the state just recently passed a law allowing grocery stores to sell “strong beer” too.

I grew up in NJ and got used to not pumping my gas because of the law. Having fled the GardenOil-Petrochemical-Manufacturing State in '95, I’d been pumping my own gas for years. Fast forward to ~2005, when I took a road trip home from Montana, I made the same mistake @bump did, but got more of a nasty glare from the attendant. After throwing shade, he went to open his mouth to “lecture” me, but I just pointed to the Montana plate on my truck.

Tripler
@Crafter_Man, you shoulda delayed yer trip a few years.

Around here, you can still get it over the counter, but it’s literally over the pharmacist’s counter, as opposed to on the shelves like ibuprofen. You have to go ask for it at the counter, they probably will only give you one box at a time, and I think they might log your purchase or something (it’s been a long time since I bought anything like that).

You’re just raising all kinds of suspicion! :laughing:

What the hell is the rationale for the pumping gas thing?

I mean, sure, a tiny fraction of people are morons that shouldn’t be driving let alone pumping their own gas. That does not seem to warrant hiring full time people to do it.

Is it just a job creation thing? I mean, yeah, this used to be standard fare and a nicety, but I can’t help but feeling I’m paying for it somehow.

Not that it matters much, only one in a long list of reasons I avoid Jersey at all costs.

We bought a lake house as a second house several years ago. We wrote a letter how it would be used for me while I was teaching part-time at the local college, but also for our family and grandkids to use and enjoy beyond that. The sellers were an elderly couple battling end-stage cancer. Our relator said they picked our offer versus others whom they thought would have used it as weekend-only party place. I can see how the buyers read between the lines to keep younger people out.

Minnesota not only has 3.2 beer in gas stations and grocery stores, but also a law that liquor can’t be sold in the store itself; it has to have a separate entrance and check out. It probably helps in setting hours that sales are allowed and for checking IDs. And only recently could liquor stores be open on Sundays; car dealers are still closed on Sunday.

You’d think that the absolute fact that hundreds of millions of other people in the US, not to mention other countries have managed to safely pump their own gas for decades would eliminate that as a realistic option.

My guess is that it’s a hold-over from the era when self-service pumps were emerging. Wouldn’t have been station owners; they just pivoted from being gas/service stations to being gas/convenience stores everywhere else; they probably make more money that way than before. I wouldn’t imagine the gas station pump attendants have ever had much of a lobby, so that’s unlikely.

My guess is that some well-meaning state legislators figured it was an easy way to prevent a degree of job loss, and it could conveniently be cloaked in public safety rhetoric, and the cost could be passed on to consumers. Win-win for everyone but drivers, who barely notice the difference in cost anyway.