Are there terms for authoritarianism waves (opposite of democracy waves)

Supposedly democracy occurs on a large scale (not just in isolated countries) and so far, 4 waves have been identified.

Early 18th century
Post WW2
Decolonization in the 70s and 80s
Arab spring and Eastern European revolutions in the last 20 years.

Do authoritarian, anti democracy movements occur in waves? Example, the rise of fascism and communism in the 20s-40s era? Or the rise of right wing populism now?

Other than Venezuela, are there authoritarian regimes that are turning back human rights that have a leftward political slant?

nm. Im a guest, so my location does not appear on my post.

Actually yes it does, jtur, top right corner. They turned them on a while back.

Nowhere near as radical (thankfully), but Evo Morales in Bolivia is aligned with the policies of Venezuela and Cuba. He has renationalized oil and other companies which had been privatized by the previous government, but after the initial ruckus the process actually went pretty swimmingly.

any time a generation gets old, they get scared about how things are “changing for the worse” and try to clamp down in a “law and oirder, we will go back to the ‘good ol’ days’” push.

This past election was nothing more than the Boomers having their last temper tantrum.

Apparently, everyone in the world can see it except me, unless I log out and view my posts as an outsider.

I’m logged in and a guest same as you. Might be something about your cache.

Here in America we just call it THE WAVE.

“Reaction”
or “the pendulum swinging back”

Napoleon Bonaparte may have been a military dictator, but his propaganda machine used the rhetoric of the Enlightenment and the French Revolution. For about a century after he fell, revolution was out of fashion in most of Europe, except for a couple of brief outbursts in 1848.

If you study Chinese history, you will run into the Dynastic Cycle theory. China has oscillated between tyranny and anarchy, and Chinese historians have traditionally considered tyranny to be less dangerous than anarchy.

I’m logged in now, and here is the entirety of what appears above the text of my post:

It’s visible in Sultantheme, not in SD Classic, for all users.