Are these people friggin' serious?

I wouldn’t be surprised if that turns out to be the case
:(I feel for those kids:(

Damnit… that’s supposed to be

I agree, I don’t think that half a mil would ever see an educational institution. Maybe for the first month it’d go to diapers and food, but after that … I don’t mean to judge these people because of their income bracket, of course. I’m judging them as I would judge anyone who blatantly uses an innocent child, born or un, as a ploy to make money.

“As long as we provide him with a comfortable and loving home …” Umm, sir? You’ve already failed. Suck my nuts you greedy cheese weasel.
Dragonblink the Disgruntled

Farmer Oak
Did your low-life whoring pimpster mom (not that there’s anything wrong with it) sell your naming rights to Thomas Hardy?

I taught well over 1000 kids in areas outside of Washington, D.C. and currently work in a job where I come across hundreds of thousands of names. I can attest that the name like “Coke” or “Pepsi” would not be any more burdonsome than some that I’ve seen, what with French-esque spellings and all.

What scares me is if this couple succeeds and finds it quite profitable. There could be even more spawn!!!
To extend the “good saviour company” idea mentioned above, why not XYZ buy the naming rights for the $500,000; name the kid “Marcia” or whatever and put the money into a trust fund locked until the kid is 18 and untouchable by the sperm & egg donors she’ll call “mom” and “dad”.

The only “benefit” of this is that they give some kid half a mil and get to claim that they are good guys. Otherwise, the kid still has a “normal” name. The question becomes if the company can score half a mil in generated-profits to cover their outlay. I doubt it.

Hey, I just thought of this. Wasn’t there some guy auctioning his kidney on e-bay? Didn’t he get into some sort of trouble for this? One would think that the same “rules” would apply to the cum-sicle and his semen-sop wife.

Just because it’s an urban legend doesn’t mean it could never have happened, you do realize. That’s the problem you get into. You can NOT absolutely debunk the existence of a person named Oranjello simply because it is - in MOST cases - an urban legend. Faulty logic.

My sister knows a guy who calls himself Oranjello, but I’m fairly certain his given name is simply Angelo and he likes to fool with people.

Heh heh. You’d be surprised (or maybe you wouldn’t) how few people dig the reference. You should see the eyes glaze over when I try to explain it.

Yeah, but friend-of-a-friend (FOAF) stories should always be looked at with heavy skepticism.

Go on alt.folklore.urban and see how many newbie posters swear that their friend knew someone who was on duty at the ER the night Richard Gere came in with a gerbil up his butt. Yet ask for a person or some evidence that can verify this information and it almost always leads nowhere.

The FOAF turns into his friend’s uncle knew the guy… then my friend’s uncle knew a guy who was the former roomate of the guy… etc etc.

These people may not be deliberately passing on false information, and most ULs wouldn’t be earth shattering if proven true, but the purden of proof is on them if people expect to take their claim seriously.

Save your money for now. I asked her about it and she said she didn’t know them, but she heard it from someone else… well you get the idea. However, I wouldn’t be suprised if somewhere there is really a Lemonjello, since there are in fact two individuals named ESPN and Silver Ann Blackwell (her parents are Raiders fans).

I met a girl who worked as a waitress at Chili’s in Concord, NC at Concord Mills Mall whose name was Pepsi.

No joke.

She said that was her real name, and acted like she was asked that all the time, I don’t know if it was true or not, I didn’t ask for a birth certificate but I believed her.

In beautiful Jefferson City, MO there is Popp’s lown and garden center, run by the Popps.

They named their son “Soda” and their daughter “Lolly”
I actually met Soda. He was coaching the flag football team we played against when I was 10. I think he had it legally changed at some point. Either that or became a male prositute, I don’t remember for sure.

My best friend also dated a girl, whom I’ve met, called Debbie Mae Rust.