Are twin-blade razors better than single-blade ones?

I found that I had to have a Gillette with 3 blades or more to get a close shave without cutting myself. The problem would always be that, no matter how hard I tried, some of my hairs would not come out of the blade. The Mach 3 and Mach 5 have this design where the blade compartment is open to water on both sides, and I could get it clean. Each blade would last a couple months or so.

I finally got tired of paying so much for the new blades. I tried a sharpener, but it really didn’t work. I pretty much went to not shaving until I got an electric shaver for Christmas. I thought I was going to hate it. But I found out that I could go over the same spot multiple times without cutting myself, like would happen with any safety razors (even the Gilletes–I just didn’t need to go over the place more than once).

Anyways, the reason I brought that up is that my electric shaver has 9 blades, one for each head.

I use the Fusion and I find I can basically go over any spot on my face as many times as I want without cutting myself (well, maybe if I deliberately slid it directly sideways). It’s a huge improvement over twin blade razors. I’m a cheapskate at heart, but I’d never go back to cheap disposables.

I’ve tried the electric shaver, but the last one I had took too long and never gave me a really good shave (even if I went over the same spot for a long time).

Well I figure why take 10 min to shower and then 5 min to shave when I can shave and shower in 10min. I don’t even need a mirror any more. When I get out of the shower I just check to make sure I got the sideburns level and didn’t miss any spots. I’ve gotten so good at over the years that I rarely have to do any touch up any more.

I think up thread I called it a Mach 5, but yes, the Fusion is the most awesome of blades. The blades are really expensive but I only have to change mine every two months.

I also shave in the shower just fine without a mirror. I know where my face is. I know where it grows hair…just run the razor over those places and check with my fingers to see if I missed anything.

The best part - no whiskers in the sink. Showers are self-cleaning.

Non-fogging mirrors are available. I shower and shave at the same time, and I shave my head as well. Nothing but a Fusion will do. Smoother, faster, no nicks.

Rack-a-Bones said:

How can it take you the same amount of time to shower when you are doing more?

I tried shaving in the shower, but couldn’t take the extra time with the water running. I shave with the water in the sink, not tap running.

BigT said:

I’ve had 2 or 3 Norelcos, the problem is they end up leaving my face (especially my neck) scraped raw. That doesn’t happen with blades, though I’m susceptible to nicks. I can’t stand the rawness, because sweat makes it sting, and I live in Houston. Summers are enough of a bitch without my neck stinging for 6 months.

Released in 1998, the Mach3 was the result of 15 years and $750 million of research. Thirty-five patents covered this consumer item. The three blades were spring loaded, the high carbon tips bonded to the blade with niobium. Each stroke whisked off 40% more whiskers than before. [sub only: http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_TGDVPQ&source=login_payBarrier ]

Irishman: BTW, foil shavers have a somewhat different feel than rotaries. All electrics require about a month to get used to.

I’ve used a Schick Adjustable Injector since I was 15. It’s hard finding blades anymore, except on Ebay. Once in awhile an old drug store sells off their stock.

I recall in the 80’s Schick sold a twin blade for the injector razor. I used them for awhile, but quickly realized they dulled quicker. Plus the shave wasn’t all that much better than a single blade. So, I went back to the single. Remember Teflon blades? Another gimmick that wasn’t worth the cost.

A quick tip. Never take a razor you care about to the hospital. I had my stuff unpacked and went in for my surgery. I woke up in intensive care. The hospital staff repacked my stuff and cleaned out my room. Somehow my bag of stuff got misplaced. I lost the razor I’d used since I was 15. Thirty-five years gone!!! Thank goodness for Ebay. It cost $40 to replace a vintage one like I had.

So true. I think when people have a bad experience with shavers, it’s cuz they used a rotary shaver. Those either yank hair out (painful) or leave raw areas around the sharp edges of the face (jawline).

Foil razors (Braun for example) are a world of difference. And they do take 4-6 weeks to get used to.

Blade razors give a “closer” shave because there’s more ex foliation going on - getting your skin wet, then rubbing it with the razor pulls off an outer layer of skin along with the hair. You are technically getting a closer shave. This is a big reason it takes so long to adjust to the electric razor - not so much ex foliation, it takes your skin and hair time to adjust to the new cutting method.

I’ve also seen people talk about using an electric razor with your skin oil as a lubricant, or using some other lubricant. IMO, you should always wash your skin with something that removes oil (soap, foaming wash, etc.) before you shave. The oil protects the hair, including protecting it from the shaver. Leaving oil on the hair;
a) makes your hair harder to cut
b) dulls the blade faster
c) doesn’t give you as close of a cut (because the oil and oily skin keeps the razor from cutting the hair as close to the root)

I’ve experimented with shaving half of my face (and half of my head, I shave my head bald also) with an electric razor (Braun) 6 hours after a shower, then I washed the skin thoroughly and shaved the other half. The half I shaved after removing the skin oil was noticeably closer and felt nicer to the touch.

I’ve repeated that experiment several times to the same results.

I also think that shaving just one time with a razor means you have to start your 4-6 weeks of re-acclimation to the electric razor over again.

With respect to disposable shavers, blade quality plays a big part. I began using single-blade Wilkinson Colors as a result of reading Cecil’s column. They gave me the best shave I’ve ever had. Then Wilkinson was sold to Schick, and the quality went way down. The razors were exactly the same in appearance, but the shave wasn’t as close and they dulled more quickly. I switched to Gillette and now use the Mach 3.

I am another fan of double edge razors and shaving old school with creams and a brush. I can get a far superior shave compared to that of a fusion or Mach3. I have a bad combination of sensitive skin and thick beard. With a Mach3 I could get a close shave but it would irritate me like crazy. I hated shaving back a couple years ago. The irritation went away, and the shave was just as close with switching to an old Gillette Superspeed (well after an adjustment period of getting rid of all my bad habits that cartridges let you get away with). The only down side is it takes me 10-15 minutes to shave (you absolutely must take your time and do multiple passes with a DE razor). Considering I actually enjoy shaving now, I don’t mind getting up a tad bit earlier.

I actually don’t think DE razors are for most people, but I highly recommend anyone that shaves on a daily basis at least picks up a shaving brush and some decent cream. The difference in the protecting qualities (not to mention the smell) of a good lather versus goop from a can is pretty remarkable.

Check out http://badgerandblade.com/for more info