Are women's thighs usually bigger than men's thighs?

I love thunder thighs!

Let’s see, I saw this at parties. You lay down, head to toe, waists in approximately the same place. Hook the near leg of your opponent and try to roll him off his back.

The ladies usually one, but in this configuration when the guy rolls off his back, guess where he ends up.

curlylonghair may have a different sport in mind.

I knew a woman weightlifter/bodybuilder who was very proud that her thighs were bigger than her waist.

Great username/post combo. :smiley:

I think it’s more along the lines of evolutionary results…

If women piled on the beer belly like men do, it would impede the ability of the stomach to expand during pregnancy. So they are more likely to take the same fat and distribute it neatly (?) around the rest of the mid-to-lower body and under the skin generally.

Of course, some excessively obese women do pack on the belly (let her tell you she’s expecting, don’t ask if you don’t know… :slight_smile: ) but usually not until the other repositories are also full and (just my observation) the incidence of excessively slack belly in that situation seems much higher in females than obese males. Sue Johanssen of “The Sex Show” referred to it as an “apron” where the stomach hangs down below the crotch.

OTOH, both sexes could benefit from exercise… Starting with me.

If you had watched the first-ever episode of “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” you would have seen George Wendt leg-wrestling with John Goodman. Alas, I can’t find a video clip online anywhere.

I’m skeptical about the data Omar Little posted too. I remember reading that women had significantly bigger legs on average, let me see if I can find that data.

21" is a small measurement for the largest part of the leg IMO. Mine are almost 20" and I wear a 00 in pants. Of course, the only place I carry any weight on my body is at the very tops of my thighs and my butt, the rest of me is a stick. It would definitely be possible for me to bulk my quads enough that my leg would be bigger than my (unusually small) waist. oO

Don’t be so quick there…

Ah loves me some big thighs.

:cool:

:smiley:

And, the non-testosterone-driven answer. An inch one way or the other- no matter what the height to weight ratio- might well be attributed to water, musculature of one woman compared to another, etc.

There’s both a NASA-funded study and an adult film sneaking around here somewhere…

I’m a man. My calves are around 17 and thighs 26. My overall body fat percentage is not very low but my legs are muscular. I’m surprised the male average is that low- since so many people lift weights these days. However I notice a lot of of top-heavy men walking around, guys who don’t seem to reAlize they make weights for lower body exercises, too.

Guys whose biceps are bigger around than their head, tend to look at their biceps and pecs in the mirror. I don’t recall to many situations where you would see guys checking out how their thighs or butt look in the mirror…

Women, on the other hand…

Your measurements seem very proportional. Which is why it seems completely unbelievable that it’s also roughly the same average for women who wear size 12-14 pants as the average woman does.

Exactly. On the fitness forums they look with disdain on the people that only work the “ego muscles” - abs, pecs, biceps. Everyone gloats endlessly about how they do deads and squats for “real strength.” It’s true, but it’s not like everyone that does is picking up cars and stuff. :rolleyes:

No, it would be the opposite since taller people are usually more “stretched out/lean” than shorter people, this would mean that men’s thighs would actually be bigger (by a bit larger margin than in that article) than women’s. Also, I’m pretty sure that measurement is already taking into account height and weight. Not to mention that men have substantially more muscle and larger bones, as well.

Here it is:

Some taller people are “stretched out lean”, some aren’t.

On what do you base that belief? I didn’t see such indicated in the article.

Some men have “substantially more muscle and larger bones”, that’s not an absolute. Hence why the article looks at averages.