Are You Concerned About Seafood From The Gulf Of Mexico?

I’m way more concerned about seafood products from China at this point.

Did anybody hear Barbara Mikulski talking on NPR last week abotu the effect this is having on the State of Maryland? She said that restaurants were especially being affected because of the lack of seafood available.

HUH?!? So all those tourists, (myslef included) who have flocked to Annapolis specifically for the fresh local seafood have actually been served shipped-in Gulf catches? at a high enough percentage that it’s affecting the Maryland economy?!?

Did I hear this incorrectly? I would think that actually the net result woudl be positive for Maryland, that local catch would go for significantly higher prices due to the large deficit this will leave in the seafood market.

What am I missing here?

Maybe seafood like shrimp and oysters, but not crab.

Eek! :eek: They just said on the news tonight that some shrimpers from Brownsville had been busted in the restricted waters–nooooooo! Oh well–I still have plenty HEB Wild Brown Texas shrimp in the freezer. So sad about the oyster beds, though. I don’t think they’ve recovered from Hurricane Ike. I’m a little ashamed to say that we always order fresh, live oysters from the Pacific Northwest. Expensive, but it’s a New Year’s Eve tradition for us. I do usually use the “Joey” oysters from the gulf when I fry them, though. I have plenty of fresh frozen flounder & grouper from Port Aransas–I just finished my supply of soft shell blue crabs from Port A. :frowning: When we lived in Mississippi we used to go to Gulfport, Biloxi, and Orange Beach all the time. I hope it gets better soon.

I live about an hour from the Pacific and I’m picky about where my seafood comes from so no, I’m not concerned about it.

Does the FDA test seafood before it gets sold for consumption?

This is my thought. Some light sweet crude with a spritz of Corexit just might be better for me than the farmed stuff from Asia. At least here I know what chemicals I should look be looking up in an MSDS.

I heard on NPR that the FDA and NOAA are testing more seafood but the problem seems, according to NPR is that it’s not practical to test everything and the FDA is testing too much fish, which tend to just swim away from oil. This as opposed to oysters which don’t move and you eat the entire oyster, including organs as opposed to fish.

I would think the toxic dispersant to be more of a concern.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37282611/ns/gulf_oil_spill/

I live in the Pacific Northwest so our regional supply of seafood is obviously unaffected by the BP spill. Yet, I am mildly concerned about how the sudden unavailability of Gulf Coast seafood would result in a shift to other areas like the Pacific Coast as a source thereby driving up the overall price.

Incidentally, a few days ago I went to a very mediocre seafood buffet (it wasn’t my choice) that advertised having salmon and salmon chowder. However, no salmon in any form could be found. We asked why and the waitress blamed the Gulf oil spill.:dubious::rolleyes:

Did you call her on it?

No, we were on our way out and it didn’t seem to be worth the trouble.

The only concern I have is the price hike it will take.