Are you in America or not?

Inspired by this thread about new guidelines on dates in thread titles, a real quick snapshot poll of who is in America and who isn’t in America.

Poll incoming!

Do you mean the U.S. or the entirety of N. and S. America? And are you including people who are just visiting?

I guess it would have been better worded if I had specified USA rather than America, that was my intent.

Not in the USA, but in the Americas, and am an American, and I still prefer easy-to-sort-anywhere ISO-style dates. Although for clarity in a place like this, I’d typically write out that (for example), today’s date is 2-March (still not the 'Mercin way), although for professional/personal use it’s a whole lot easier to use 2010-03-02.

I have read and believe that it is rude for citizens of the USA to use the term Americans to describe themselves, but I’ve never know any citizens of the continent that weren’t from the USA to use the term for themselves.
Ignorance has been fought, Sir!

The word “American” with no other modifier has meant “someone from the United States of America” for a very long time. It may not be logical, but language does not have to be logical.

I am in North America, but not the USA.

(Vive St-Pierre et Miquelon!)*

[sub]*crafty piece of misdirection[/sub]

Live in the USA but not American.

I am in southern PA, not too far from Maryland.

Scotland here.

I’m in west-central Indiana, a little more than a mile from the Illinois state line.

My state joined the USA twice, in 1836 and 1868.
Do I get extra points?
:slight_smile:

Oztralia, that’s where i am.

Within The Pale. The rest of ye* are beyond it.

*Apart from the other Dubs and close by peps.

Englishman in Florida, but this is home now.

I voted for America but I’m in New York City and some people might quibble that I’m not.

And in English, AmericaN has meant inhabitant of the United States for two hundred years, so bugger off, jealous other countries in the AmericaS. You’ve got perfectly decent adjectives for your own countries.

“Can I call you something other than ‘Mexican?’ Something less–degrading?” - Michael Scott

There are many countries on the continents of North and South America, Sir.
As a fellow citizen of the USA, you embarrass me.
:slight_smile:

Technically I am in America. But I answered no, since I’m in Canada and you screwed up your question.

I may be wrong, but IIRC Balthisar is an American (ie, a citizen of the US) living in Mexico - not a Mexican citizen making a statement about the term “American”. Balthisar, if I’m mistaken, my apologies.

And sorry: for better or worse, "American"primarily refers to a citizen of the United States or is the adjective for the United States. It’s just the way the language is right now, and doesn’t really have anything to do with recognizing other countries on the continent(s). “America” as a place name can (and, IMHO, should) be avoided, as it can genuinely be confused with the continents, and because it’s just as easy (and maybe even more idiomatic) to say “the United States”, “the US”, “the States”, etc.

And yes, to answer the question, I’m in the US.

Right, the word “American” in English means someone from the USA, not someone from the continent of America. As I said above, it doesn’t matter that it’s not logical – language is not logical.