Are you looking at your 401K/Retirement statements?

I got two of them today and they went straight into the trash. I don’t want to get depressed. I am far enough away from retirement that I don’t need to panic, so I just chucked 'em. The worst part is, they don’t cover the first ten days of October, which were worse than last quarter.

No.

I’m 26, and I’m not in anything especially weird. Part of going aggressive is knowing that sometimes I’m going to take it in the shorts for short periods of time. I’m not going to sell right now, although I do plan on rebalancing at the beginning of the year like I always do.

Weekly. Mine went down, not significantly, but they did. I’m sure they’ll come back up.

Yeah. I even cropped out the picture of the relative decline in value and termed it “Plummeting Equity” and passed it around to some of my close friends. Good thing I have time to regain. Sigh.

My current plan is to raise enough money for my retirement by [del]embezzling[/del] requisitioning money from the rest of you.

With the greatest deal of respect, if you really want to invest in the stock market, and really believe that it is a good thing to put your money in… if you really believe that America isn’t ultimately doomed…

Then you shouldn’t look at your statement until 5 or 10 years until retirement. The stock market is intended for long term investors.

In fact this sort of short sightedness (reevaluating a long term investment far too often) has been proposed as one of the causes of the equity premium puzzle by no less than Shiller et al - you will recall him from “Irrational Exuberance” (editions 1 and 2) no doubt :slight_smile:

I’d dig up a citation, but really I can’t be bothered.

I check mine online a couple times a week, but I do that all the time because I’m crazy.

Also, I just really like looking at all my money[sup]1[/sup]

[sub]1. OK, it’s not all that much. But I’m 27 and not touching it until I’m a feeble gray-haired fogey[/sub].

Sure, I looked. :eek: But I’m retired and I’m living off of it, so I’d better look. It would be even more foolhardy to ignore it, than to do something like, say, invest in the stock market. Everything’s down, and I’ve lost a big chunk. I’m shocked, shocked I say!!

I have both RRSP (I think they’re like your 401K) and non-RRSP mutual funds. I’ve decided to just ignore them for a while; looking at them would just aggravate me more. I can’t resist keeping an eye on the TSX and Dow Jones on TV, although I probably shouldn’t do that either.

I had been following mine closely up to a year or so ago. Then I quit checking it, till 2 days ago.
:eek:

I lost more than 25%. Theoretically, I could retire in Jan 2010. Needless to say, that ain’t gonna happen. But I’d already decided that I was going to hang around till 2016 - I’m hoping things will rebound by then. If not, I’ll keep working.

And I don’t plan to check again till things turn around. I don’t need the aggravation.

I am 24 and check mine daily since it automatically updates with Quicken.

I haven’t gotten my 401(k) statement yet, I’m scared to look at it when it comes in. We got a pre-emptive email from HR this week saying how it’s up to us to understand how the benefits package works.

I peeked at my IRA. I’ve lost 30% since a year ago.

I’m half toying with the idea of taking a loan out on the 401(k), pay myself the interest, and while the money sits in a CD, at least it won’t be in the market. But, I await someone to tell me how dumb that would be.

The envelope is sitting unopened on my kitchen counter.

Nope. I don’t need it for another 20-odd years…no point in upsetting myself right now.

Goodness, someone with sense!

Ladies and gentlemen: If you wish to invest for the long term then for God’s sake invest for the long term. Reevaluating your investments after x time period is investing for x time period!

Ivylass sounds a hell of a lot smarter than the overwhelming majority of what, in American terms, would be called mutual fund managers. I’ve had the displeasure of meeting many of them and think they’d do very good as firewood.

I’ve been avoiding looking, because I am 20 years from retirement and I don’t need to get needlessly cranky. Er, crankier.

I don’t throw them out; just file them unopened. I did look at the most recent one, but it was quarterly and ended on 9/30–plenty o’ bad news since.

Ha, no. This (not looking at it) is one of my strongest financial strategies.

Also, to make it even easier not to look, I stopped the paper statement delivery a while back. Good for the environment and my sanity!