Arrested Development season 4 is now live.

So what’s the impression so far? I just watched half of the first episode (before falling asleep), and it just didn’t “click” with me like the last three seasons of AD. The writing just seemed different somehow, and didn’t tickle me like the first three seasons. Anyhow, I hope that’s just an anomaly and my tired state has something to do with it.

I was just mentioning to my wife (who’s not joining me on my marathon - we will watch at a more human pace together throughout the week) that the first half of the first episode felt “off”, like they just couldn’t quite get into the groove.

Subsequently, however, it’s been great, IMO. There’s maybe only a little less of the magic that the first seasons had, but it’s definitely working for me. Lots of laugh out loud moments and great callbacks to previous seasons.

The show is also a little more dizzying - most of the episodes all take place during the same time period, from different characters’ perspectives. I’m digging it, but I can see why that might be off-putting for some. One might be able to watch it out of order and still make sense of things, but I’m not sure if that would be just as good.

OK, that’s good to hear. I’m going to end up watching all of them anyway, but I lost a bit of my enthusiasm with what I saw last night. Can’t wait until tomorrow when I have some time to lay on the couch and relax with beers and AD.

I have good expectations, but reasonable.

Had the shown gone away 7 years and come back with Charlize Theron’s “Mr. F.” episodes, we might have been disappointed and assumed it was due to its time away. In reality, the show did rise and fall a bit, even during its original run.

See, I know it’s not the popular opinion, but the Mr. F episodes never bugged me. I thought they were fine.

Are open spoilers allowed in here?

If not, is there already an open spoiler thread?

Same for me. I’ve noticed that I had no problem doing stuff on my computer/tablet/phone while it was on and didn’t feel like I was missing much.

Yes, spoiler away. I have no interest in reading a thread with thousands of spoiler boxes in it. If you don’t want to be spoiled, don’t read the thread.

I’m six episodes in (and taking a break for a few hours or a day) and noticed that it’s not so much a mini-series about catching up on their lives for the last few years to get ready for the movie as it is the making of the movie. But I’ve also noticed that the keep hinting about how the movie isn’t going to get made. We’ll have to see how that plays out.

OP: Can you report your post and ask a mod to put “Open Spoilers” in the thread title?

I like them too. I just see them as a 9/10 instead of a 10/10.

Charlize was probably my favorite guest (and easily my favorite recurring role) on the entire series.
They have made a callback to her already.

Just finished watching the season. Wow. I really enjoyed it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such convoluted plotting. Very interesting how it all plays together by the end.

I want more.

I have failed at my plan to rewatch the whole series before watching the new episodes tonight. I have about seven episodes left.

Can I just jump into the new episodes without feeling lost? Should I watch the last episode of S3? The last two? Is it actually important for me to watch it all first?

What’s wrong with the Mr F episodes?

Loving the cameos, but John Slattery’s the biggest standout.

I just finished Episode 6. I’m wondering who Rebel will end up with.

All in all I think they’ve done a great job so far of giving the series ANUSTART.
And I’m loving the Easter eggs between episodes.

I do hate that Michael is (so far) a loser now.

He was a loser in the original too, I think people fail to notice this because he seems more sympathetic than the rest in the family.

You could skip them, although there is one plot element that might take you a minute to realize what happened to one of the characters if you do. I don’t think there are any specific callbacks to the last couple of episodes aside from that.

However, if I were in your shoes I’d finish the first seasons before tackling the new ones. There is a bit of a finish to the story arc in those episodes, and the finale makes a nice bookend with the pilot. It’s not like the new episodes are going to go away any time soon.

I agree with this. The wife and I were watching the first episode and and mentioned how pathetic he was. Then we realized that he was always pathetic. He has always been weirdly attached to his son.

Nothing! Yeesh, folks, I was simply listing them as the ones I personally thought were a slight(and I mean slight) drop in quality.

I like the episodes!

Now, let’s put all the Mr. F. talk behind us.

“Apologies all around.”

Does this article pretty much catch me up on what might be important as of S4e1?
The eight things it highlights are (note: S1-3 spoilers here…):

George Sr was on the boat Michael and GM escaped on

The SEC is after Kitty

George Michael and Maebe got to 2nd base, and GM knows she isn’t biologically related to him after all, but his dad says he shouldn’t pursue it

Maebe was trying to get a biopic about herself developed afte she was fired as a producer

GOB is dating Ann

Buster was last seen about to be confronted by Loose Seal

Kitty was last seen in Reno in S3e1, where she hooked up again with George Sr who was in the Blue Man Group at the time.

Tobias and Lindsay still have a really weird marriage.

Yeah, but your highlights miss the one I was thinking of. And now that I think of it, there are a couple of references to it that make more sense if you’ve seen the finale (a detail regarding what the article refers to as Lucille captaining an ocean liner).

It’s not a lot, so you could certainly get almost all of what’s going on without having seen the last couple of episodes.

But I still wouldn’t, more for the sense of a story arc coming to a close and the nice bookend than for anything you’ll miss out on in the new season.

The new season, given it’s really weird loopy plotting, doesn’t really have an arc.