Arrests of personnel from Gitmo, raising spectre of "dual loyalty"?

If you don’t know who the Walkers are, you possess way, way too much ignorance to have an opinion about what the military ought to be doing about security clearances. To paraphrase someone else in this thread, you may be outraged by this, but frankly you can go screw yourself.

Given:

Conclusion:

Does not compute.

*Whom is the accusative case of that preposition, who is the nominative case. It doesn’t matter if the entire phrase or clause of which it’s a member is functioning in the accusative; what matters is its role within the accusative phrase or clause.

*Originally posted by DMC *

If you don’t see the difference between somebody breaking a marijuana law and somebody commiting treason, then may I suggest that you have a perverted value system ?

Nope, I’m not making it into a religious issue, the enemy has already done that. You may not believe them, but I do.

Nope, I’m not outraged at all. I have thicker skin than that, and it is not the first time that somebody has resorted to lame personal attacks on this board.

So, i take it your debating logic goes like this ?

(1) debate back and forth for a few posts.
(2) after a few posts, if the other debater still hasn’t changed their views, resort to silly name calling.

:rolleyes:

And please tell me, why I should bother to respond to the previous post you made about all the white spies in the military ?

Going all the way back to 1940 or whatever is hardly relevant, as the political climate of the world has changed drastically. There is no big, bad commie Russia to sell secrets to anymore. And you yourself said their motives were for monetary gain, which is hardly the same as having genocidal motives, which these other terrorists have. I don’t see any similarity or connection, whatsoever.

Bahahahahaha! Daisy, it might benefit you to go back and check whose quote I paraphrased. No, really.

Didn’t check out the report, did you? Color me unsurprised.

My point was that profiling based on religion is a poor idea since the data indicate that religion (or other ideology) is not a good indicator of whether one is likely to become a spy. Even the Islam religion. See, there’s already a guy in jail who was spying for Israel – you may have heard of him (probably not). And I don’t see you agitating to profile all Jewish persons in the military. What is a good indicator is whether a person is living beyond his means, has debts or (as apparently in this case) is violating the already-existing terms of his security clearance. So those are good things to profile by. See?

And your point is ?

Do you believe that laws should be followed ? I would assume the majority will answer YES to that question.

I bet the majority on here has broken some laws in their lifetime. Speeding, parking tickets, smoked a joint etc.

So, what’s wrong with me saying that I find certain laws silly (marijuana laws as an example) and I don’t care for them, while I take other laws (treason for example) quite seriously.

If people don’t show dissent to certain laws that they disagree with, how in the world will those laws ever change ?

I’m still waiting for an answer to my question. Here it is again:

Yes, I agree with that part. This sounds like a standard method for weeding out spies, as the majority do it for monetary gain, as you previously stated.

However, I don’t think this is a good method for finding terrorists though, as they have completely different motives.

Also, yes, I do realize who made that other statement about people who can go “screw themselves”. See, thing is though, I always keep my insults vague, and I don’t target it to anybody specifically, so no one in particular can take offense.

Yes, I saw your question before, and I wasn’t ignoring it, I think it’s a question that there is no proper answer to, as I don’t know what methods the military currently uses to screen people, nor am I an FBI agent or an interrogator.

Is one not allowed to partake in a thread about space travel, without being a rocket scientist ?

I do think, that the current methods are obviously flawed.

How in the world did that muslim chaplain get into the military, after having converted, spent years in Syria and then re-enters the army ?

We’re talking Syria here, one of the biggest terrorist sponsors on the planet.

So, all these expert interrogators and screeners fail to see obvious warning signs, while I, who is certainly no expert on the matter sees them quite clearly ?

You tell me what’s wrong with that picture.

:smiley:

OK. So. You admit you don’t know what the military (or civilian agencies granting security clearances) does to screen people. You’ve seen the evidence that ideology is a poor predictor of disloyal behavior. You cite what is apparently a clear example of what I already posted is a good predictor of disloyal behavior – violation of existing security clearances.

So what was your point again? What, specifically are you calling for, and what is your evidence to recommend your idea?

Monty, you are one brilliant devil! ::serious face::: Many Dopers might have missed this remarkable post: how easy it is to just mask information (important information about your whereabouts, and even your extremely vital mission) in a simple self-deprecating post. Very nicely done, and again right back to the OP. The Oath was the coup de grâce.

BTW: you’re one lucky motherscratcher working where you do. Hat’s off to you.

Well, my point was and is that I believe the screening process to be flawed, since such obvious cases, such as that chaplain fellow was allowed to slip through the cracks.

If I was presented with sufficient evidence which describes the current screening process and background checks, and I found it to be adequate, then I would rest my case, and would not assert that there is any problem.

Being that this info is probably classified, and I will never see it, I will not be persuaded, and I will hold my current views.

Some of the 9-11 hijackers were issued visas, after they died. Why should I trust that there is not such incompetance in the screening process of other govt. organization. Or perhaps they are competant, but ridiculous laws and other circumstances prohibit them from doing their job to the fullest.

The real beauty of it, Mr. B, is that is where I worked about ten years ago! Now, I’m just some undergrad slogging his way toward a Linguistics AB.

Daisy:

The esteemed Polycarp provided me with the following image for responding to posts such as yours in this thread:

code:
|||||||
||||||||
_|
||||||_
|
|||||||
|||||||
||||||||
_|
||||||_
|
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||__|

Well, if ya can’t beat 'em, then start drawing silly symbols. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not one person here has convinced me that profiling is a bad idea, or that it is an ineffective method.

Just tonight, I read that 5 military people have now been taken into custody. This is just at Gitmo. How many more are there out there, and how were they allowed in the military to begin with ?

The symbol is to convey the idea of me (along with, apparently, everyone else in this thread) talking to a brick wall.

And what percentage of the US Armed Forces does five persons constitute, DC?

snippet from newspaper article
*Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Yee received advance training and official endorsement to become an Army chaplain from the Graduate School for Islamic Social Sciences and the American Muslim Armed Forces and Veterans Association.

He said the two groups are being probed by the Customs Service for laundering as much as $20 million for terrorists.

Schumer blasted the Pentagon for failing to keep extremist clerics out of the military and allowing these groups to continue to sanction Muslim chaplains.*

Apparently, I’m not the only one around who thinks that the military is doing a lousy job of keeping out muslim extremists.

Which picture will certain people draw in response to the senators allegations ?

The number of people murdered in a given day in the USA is quite small in proportion to the population of the USA. So, therefore, there is no need to work a preventing violence or murder.

Five is five too many. Excuse making is tantamount to permission.

Gitmo has a special need for Muslim chaplains because, well, most the people there are Muslim, and if we’re not going to try them and we’re not gonna let them go, the least we can do is let them pray.

Muslims clerics generally go overseas at some point. For one, they (like all Muslims) must visit Mecca if it is possible. Futhermore, the great religious learning institution are all overseas. It’s much like how a Japanese Christian might want to head over to the US if he wants to go to divinity school. It’s not that shocking that a Muslim cleric would want to study his religion in the Middle East.

Not by profiling there isn’t.

You two really DO want a Minority Report type state, don’t you?