Art that was inspired by the Black Death

Am making a comparison between the hiv outbreak of the 20th century and the Black Death outbreak of the late middle ages for example:
HIV spread from Africa to America and then in Asia in westerly direction.It was seen as punishment for toleration of homosexuality who were the main victims and appeared in the arts as the universitality of death.It was also a zoonose spreading from chimpanzees to humans it has similar symptons to bubonic plague during seroconversion.It also have several subtypes and strains.It also affected the arts playing on the theme of the universitality of death ie in movies,songs and musicals(Rent,Philedelphia,Everytime We Say Goodbye by Annie Lennox for Edward II)
Now are their any songs from the late middle ages specifically about the black death as known drawings about the dance of death were made.Also any movies set during the plague outbreak

Il Decamerone” by Giovanni Boccaccio (1313–1375) is a 14th century novel about frequently fairly racy tales told by a group of young people who fled to an isolate villa to escape the black death raging in Florence Translation to English. The film “The Decameron” (1971) by by Italian director Pier Paolo Pasolini is based on this novel, as is the 2007 romantic comedy film “Virgin Territory

It was painted LONG after the Black Death, but it FEELS as if it was inspired by it.

The Triumph of Death (circa 1562) by Pieter Breughel the Elder

Of course, much more recently there was the film The Seventh Seal.

I know of things inspired by the aftermath of the Black Death, but I honestly can’t think of anything directly driven by that Great Dying.

You might start here: Black Death in medieval culture

from here

Ring around the rosie/A pocket full of posies/Ashes, ashes/We all fall down

A movie called (appropriately enough), “Black Death,” is extremely grim and violent but is set in the middle of the Plague (1348). It’s almost oppressive but it’s beautifully done. See it sober, depressant usage is not advised. :wink:

Annie, I’m sorry to dispute this, but The Master had a piece on this in his second book, “More of the SD,” and the song signifies nothing. I can’t find the article using keywords, but it was part of a “quiz the members” feature in that book. I’ll try to find the specific SD entry later on today. Stay tuned.

I remember reading that article. But many people still believe that explanation.

Der Totentanz”, German for “Dance of Death” is one of the motifs that became frequent during and after the black death and influenced art up to today.

Pestlieder” are religious songs that cry for god’s help against the disease or praise him for having helped to survive. Swiss reformer and bible translator Huldrych Zwingli, who caught the disease when caring for the sick and dying when the Black Death broke out in Zürich in 1519, but recovered, wrotethis song

also was ring a ring a rosie really about the Black Death or not?

The fact that people believe it doesn’t make it so.

From the wiki article:

[QUOTE]
Several folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:

[ol][li]The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.[15][/li]
[li]The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague.[20][23][/li]
[li]The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above).[21][24][/li]
[li]European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this “fall” was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[25][/ol][/li][/QUOTE]

Since this is about art, let’s move it to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

—Bring out yer dead.
—Here’s one.
—That’ll be ninepence.
—I’m not dead.
—What?
—Nothing. There’s your ninepence.

Snopes.

It’s not a song, but Chaucer’s Pardoner’s Tale references the plague.

And it’s not from the late Middle Ages (keep in mind that the plague didn’t go away after 1350; there were frequent outbreaks for the next few centuries, though none of them were as virulent as the first one), but Thomas Nashe’s “In Time of Pestilence” is a song written shortly after an outbreak in 1592:

From the current Broadway production of Something Rotten:

Black Death!
It’s gonna get ya! It’s the
Black Death!
It’s gonna hit ya with those
Blisters, oozin’ like syrup;
That pesky little pestilence
is killing half of Europe! It’s the
Black Death!
And it’s comin’ for youuuu…

Here.

My favorite piece of art! Well, second only to the Ferrari 330LMB, that is.

Jeez, I wish you had been kidding.

nm

The Periwig maker is a stopmotion animated film, set in London, during the great plague.