Arthritis - again, someone who knows

More pain questions.

For some months, I’m not really sure how long, I have had a soreness in my hip. it is not incapacitating by any means, but it is pronounced.

I am 41, 150 pounds over weight (but fairely active and definitely working on it) I smoke and until the last 6 months or so was NOT very active.

The pain is most noticable after I have been swimming or otherwise working out and I am then sitting quietly for awhile. When I get up…OUCH! Very stiff, sore.

Again, not incapacitating, just annoying.

Sound like arthritis to anyone? And do any of you suffer? What is the best way to treat? (I am losing weight and working out. Anything else?)

Stoid

This is a non-smoking area. If we see you smoking, we will assume you are on fire and act accordingly.

Nah! As a former workout junkie I can say that that is just normal stiffness from using the muscles. At least that’s what I hope it is… :slight_smile:

Anyone else, who probably knows more, care to comment?

WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above as apparently my cat has learned to type.

Don’t discount the fact that the pain may be caused by weight. I started to wake up with lower back pain about 2-3 years ago, and it was especially pronounced after exercise. After losing ten pounds in September, I realized that I no longer had back pain. Just a small amount of weight can cause joints and muscles to ache. Perhaps you’ll be pleasantly surprised, too!

I wouldn’t rule out a pinched sciatica nerve.

The usual disclaimer about don’t rely on posts here for advice on serious medical concerns-see a doc.

Stoidela -
First, a bit of non-medical advice:

Make sure you stretch thoroughly before & after any exercise. This will help prevent minor injuries.

Appropriate courses of actions (depending upon the degree of pain, whether it prevents you from doing other things, whether it is getting progressively worse, and/or how worried you are) include:

1 - Do nothing, continue your exercising & hope it gets better.
2 - Above + take an OTC (Over The Counter) pain med (tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen). The aspirin & ibuprofen have anti-inflammatory properties & are likely to work better than tylenol. OR apply ice after a workout.
3 - Modify your workouts.
4 - See a physician.

There are many potential problems in this region - the most common are osteoarthritis of the hip joint & trochanteric bursitis.

But without an examination +/- Xrays, I can’t tell you if anything serious IS going on or what is the best way to treat it.

If it is limiting your activities or getting steadily worse, or has been going on for more than 1-2 months, see a doc now.

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html