Artists and Showbiz ppl forever stigmatized by ONE thing they did

Jessica Simpson might not be the sharpest pencil in the box, or she might be much smarter than everyone thinks - I really don’t know for sure. But she permanently earned herself a reputation as a ditz when she was baffled by “Chicken of the Sea” brand tuna on her television show.

I think the prime example of this in the sports world - even more than Tyson - is Bill Buckner, who had a long career in pro baseball and put up good numbers, and then forever became the Guy Who Cost the Red Sox the World Series in '86 with one (admittedly costly) error, even though there was plenty of blame to go around for the Sox being in the position they were in Game 6. Tyson’s done plenty of crazy things, with the ear-biting incident being just the worst example. But Buckner would have been fondly remembered by fans as a good hitter, good baserunner, decent fielder…if not for that one error.

I think this is something that happens to visual artists a lot. Salvador Dali did hundreds of paintings, plus films, sculpture, conceptual art…and he’s known to the public at large as “the guy who did the melting watches.” Just about any art historian is likely to tell you that “The Persistence of Memory” is one of Dali’s least interesting works. Marcel Duchamp is one of the most important figures - if not the single most important figure - in 20th Century art. But if he’s known to the public at all, it’s as the guy who put a urinal on a pedestal and called it art. Dorothea Lange took probably hundreds of photographs for the FSA during the 1930s and is a hugely influential figure in the history of American photography - but most people wouldn’t even recognize her name, just her photo, Migrant Mother. These are just a few examples out of many, and most artists would, of course, give their left arm for one enduring image like these - but few have a comparable body of work.

Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith, anyone? I kept expecting him to break into a Well now, MISTER Baggins during TLotR.

I’d include Loudon Wainwright III in that list for “Dead Skunk.” He may not be stigmatized for it, in fact he’s had a very good career by all accounts, but “Dead Skunk” is the first thing to come to my mind when I hear his name.

Leonard Nimoy.

'Nuff said.

That explains this book.

Anthony Perkins, though he acted in many films after Psycho, always carried the stigma of being identified with Norman Bates, the psychopath.

Charlie Chaplin tried on many other characters, but people would not let him stop being The Tramp. And I know he portrayed The Tramp in many films, not just one, but it was always just the one character.

I MUST see this…

…Geraldo Rivera?

The eyes of the nation were on him. He, and a nation, thought for all the world that he was going to discover something huge.

All the money spent, all the equipment that had to be brought in, one of the highest rated programs ever…

…and…well…guess that lousy crook got nabbed before he could decide what to put in them, huh?

Rivera’s career never recovered.

I for one will never look at Sydney Poitier (the daughter) again without thinking of that scene from Death Proof. You know the one I mean. Except you probably don’t, because nobody saw it.

–Cliffy

But then he published a retraction.

:: British peasant accent ::

He got better.

Wasn’t that a joke on the Simpsons?

“I am not Spock”
“I am Spock”
“I am also Scottie”

OJ Simpson was never able to get acting work again after that after dinner theater fiasco in Brentwood

Werner Kemplerer never got much high profile work after Col. Klink

Alanis Morissette will always be known for her misuse of the word “ironic”.

This was going to be my answer. Just before Psycho, Perkins starred in Tall Story, a romantic comedy where his love interest was young Jane Fonda. The IMDb tells me he had over 40 film and television roles after Psycho, but I don’t think he ever played a sweet romantic lead again.

It’s not nearly as exciting as it sounds.

True, but at least he’ll be remembered for executing that role perfectly. His fault was being too good and too memorable. I think he can live with that.
Though for me personally, he is one I continue to enjoy watching. I loved him in “Proof”, for example.

In what way is Luka a novelty song? It’s exactly like every other one of her songs, it’s just happens to be a particularly good example of it. You might not like her style, but that hit was perfectly indicative of her oeuvre.