Artists who hate their biggest hit

In their Behind the Music episode one of the Bangles copped to hating Eternal Flame.

I think Billy Joel mentioned on an Oprah episode that sometimes Just the Way You Are can get on his nerves.

And Stephanie Mills once said that she got sick of Home because she sand it so much on Broadway during The Wiz’s run.

Which other artists can’t stand their biggest hit?

Bobby McFerrin - Don’t Worry Be Happy

When I saw Bruce Springsteen in the mid-80s he was very un-thrilled to perform “Born to Run” as an encore. He said, scoffingly, that this was something he wrote when he was very, very young. He then proceeded to perform a very slow, acoustic version, which not only robbed the song of its power, it pissed the audience off.

According to Fantasia, Tchaikovsky didn’t care for the Nutcracker Suite.

The word encore reminded me that Rachmaninoff got sick of performing Op. 3 No. 2 Prelude in C# Minor

Alec Guinness couldn’t stand his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi (and I can’t blame him, given that he was a renowned stage actor of the highest caliber who is now best-remembered as that one role.)

Maurice Ravel didn’t like Bolero, which he wrte as an experment, and was reportly mortified that it became his best known work. I believe he once said, “It is my best known piece, and unfortunately it contains no music…”

I agree with them. 1000%

correction: … who is now best-remembered by cultural illiterates as that one role.

AND, Alec didn’t hate Obi-Wan because of his legacy, he hated the role and the movie all on their own merits. Harrison Ford was also known to have said to George Lucas about some dialog: “George, you can write this stuff, but ya sure can’t say it.”

John Mellencamp did not want to include Jack and Diane on the original album, didn’t like the song.

Neil Young wasn’t too fond of Heart of Gold:

“This song put me in the middle of the road. Traveling there soon became a bore so I headed for the ditch.”

Movie soundtrack hits can sometimes be a mixed blessing.

Simple Minds eventually resented the huge success of “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” as they didn’t even write the song - and it was offered to both Billy Idol and Bryan Ferry before they agreed to record it. They were never able to match its success with subsequent singles.

“Take My Breath Away” by Berlin drove a wedge between band members when it went to #1. I believe lead singer Terri Nunn persuaded the band to record it, while John Crawford rightfully felt it didn’t represent the band’s New Wave/techno-pop style.

Bob seger has had a long and successful career, but he only had ONE #1 hit on the Billboard charts. And, when he releaeed his first greatest hits album, he didn’t include it because, in his words, “I didn’t write it, and I didn’t really like it. I only did it for the money.”

That was “Shakedown,” the theme from “Beverly Hills Cop 2.” Glenn Frey was suppsoed to sing it, just as he’d sung the theme song to the first movie, but he backed out at the last minute due to health problems. Seger was a mere substitute for his fellow Detroiter, Frey.

Jani Lane, of Warrant hates the song, “Cherry Pie”. It eclipsed all their other songs.

Warrant was a total one hit wonder. Of course it eclipsed all their other songs, their other songs were crap. He should be thankful for the attention they did get.

ETA: ‘Heaven’ did reach #2 on the Billboard charts, but big freaking deal.

John Sebastian apparently has an intense loathing for the “Welcome Back Kotter” theme song. In the 1960s, Sebastian was considered one of the pre-eminent talents of rock & roll, was one of the most influential artists of the age. Then midway through the 70s, WHAM!, he is known mainly as “the guy who sang the theme song for that drivelous John Travolta series.”

Tina Turner said she couldn’t stand “What’s Love Got to Do With It?” and resisted even recording the song. However she changed her mind when it became a number one hit, launched her solo career into the stratosphere and once and for all shed the label of “Ike Turner’s wife.”

Small Faces/Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan was on NPR recently and obviously slightly embarrassed the host by copping to the fact that couldn’t stand the song Itchycoo Park that the host had keyed up as part of the discussion of the band.

Radiohead dislikes playing Creep live. In fact, the guitarist even hated it while recording. The distinctive crunching chord before the chorus was added to ruin the song. Fail?

Oh here we go. If you didn’t travel to England to attend a legitimate theatre production featuring Alec Guiness before 1977, you are CULTURALLY ILLITERATE!

Additionally, if you did, but also happen to be a fan of one of the most popular series of movies of all time, and think of them when you think of Sir Alec, you are CULTURALLY ILLITERATE!

I could, at this point, Claire, give you a list of culturally important things that you are completely oblivious to, but there is a limit on the length a post here can be.

Night Ranger reportedly hates Sister Christian.

Could it be because he wrote it for his first wife? (Now ex?)