As a kid, did any songs scare you when they came on the radio?

Hee hee, this reminds me of the part of High Fidelity where he goes over to the girl’s house and is evaluating her record collection. He has to write her off when he sees that she owns not just Tubular Bells, but Tubular Bells 2!

Eleanor Rigby creeped me out, especially the part about her keeping her face in a jar by the door. :eek:

Hotel California, ditto.

There was also one with “car accident, accident victim <We have a donor>” in it; not DOA, but something about him looking over at his girl and she’s missing an arm or something??
I wasn’t a kid, but “Don’t Worry Be Happy” creeped me out, and doubly so after they played it at a college friend’s memorial. Also, “Be Alone Tonight” from the School Daze soundtrack, as the same friend had performed in a skit singing that song.

I never heard it on the radio, but some of the film score from Disney’s The Black Hole (not to mention the movie itself) freaked me out.

Oh shit. That movie freaked me out horribly. The idea of a BLACK HOLE you can’t escape…AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

A new thread made me recall another one- The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald- very ominous.

I agree with a lot of these, Edmund Fitzgerald, Timothy (never heard the song but looked up the lyrics, Good Lord!) and The Theme to Unsolved Mysteries

Now mine -

The Intro to You Took the Words Right Outta My Mouth - Meatloaf and the intro to Lunatic Fringe

Zager and Evans’ In the Year 2525, I guess just because it seemed so bleak.

Can’t remember the title, but there was some mid-60’s thing in which the marrator of the song gets all horny while watching a belly dance or some such thing. The chorus goes “stop, stop, stop all the dancing, lord I have to leave”. Creeps me right out just thinking about it, even now.

To this day that song still freaks me out.

There’s a song by, I believe, ELO that starts out with the lyrics run backwards. When I was a teenager I played my stereo quietly all night. Sometimes I would wake up and it sounded like someone was preparing to sacrifice me to Satan. Scared the crap out of me.

I can’t place the song title or remember the intelligible part of the lyrics. Sound familiar to anyone?

The intro to “Face the Music” is backwards- it says “The music is reversible, time is not. Turn back. Turn back. …”, but ELO did a few songs like this.

Stop, Stop, Stop by The Hollies. A stalker classic.

I totally 2nd Tubular Bells – very creepy, indeed, and add The Who’s Boris the Spider to the list. Creepy Crawly, Creepy Crawly, Creepy Creepy, Crawly Crawly. <shudder>

Well, since I don’t get to be the first one to mention DOA by Bloodrock…

A couple from Jim Morrison, perhaps?:

"When I was back there in seminary school
There was a person there
Who put forth the proposition
That you can petition the Lord with prayer…

Petition the Lord with prayer…

Petition the Lord with prayer…

You cannot petition the Lord
with prayer!!!

&&

“All hail the American night!” <thud> <thud>

Well, it’s not a song.

I wasn’t really a kid, but in the late 80’s I would drive around old country roads late at night in my '76 Ford LTD and play the Abigail and Them albums by King Diamond. It was so creepy, I hade some amped Bose speakers that were not only loud but had a lifelike ambient clarity that would make my hairs stand on end during some of the creepier parts.

They are horror story albums and though they are heavy metal and King Diamond has a ridiculous falsetto, there was just something very Gothic and scary about the whole experience… flat Ohio Farmland bereft in Fall and King Diamond wailing about Deranged Families, Mental Patients, and hauntings and possessions over my shoulder, all at 80 MPH on narrow backroads at 3 in the morning with my headlights turned off makes for adrenaline and some strange thoughts.

It’s an urban legend. I thought the Straight Dope had an article on it, but I can’t find it. But Wikipedia explains it:

The real source of the scream – and the origins of the rumor – were explained by Ohio Player Jimmy “Diamond” Williams: “There is a part in the song where there’s a breakdown. It’s guitars and it’s right before the second verse and Billy Beck does one of those inhaling-type screeches like Minnie Ripperton did to reach her high note or Mariah Carey does to go octaves above. The DJ made this crack and it swept the country. People were asking us, ‘Did you kill this chick in the studio?’ The band took a vow of silence because that makes you sell more records.”

Thanks, Wee Bairn, that’s the one. After further research, I found that Fire On High was the title of the cut.

Williams is being disingenuous. There’s a simpler explanation for the scream: it’s supposed to sound like someone screaming on a rollercoaster ride. It’s a female voice, not Billy Beck, and it was probably added as a sound effect during the mixing of the song, not during the vocals recording.

More at Snopes, which includes a sound clip.

:dubious:

Snopes seems to confirm the Wikipedia explanation, down to the Desmond williams quote.

:smack:

D’oh!

“Diamond” Williams

Snopes just repeats the same Williams quote. But it also calls the voice female.