As a kid, did any songs scare you when they came on the radio?

Just wondering if I was in the minority as a kid by being spooked by certain songs when they came on late at night on the radio. I can recall two:

Knights in White Satin- I would having to turn the radio off if I heard this at night. Overall a really creepy sound.

A Day in the Life- specifically John’s “ahhhhs” after “somebody spoke and I went into a dream”.

Wild Fire creeped me out quite a bit.

After seeing the movie Tommy when I was a wee lad, I was afraid of Tina Turner.

Not the radio, but my parents had James Gang “Bang” album and the cover weirded me out - six barrel shotgun, tiny pony, moon with a face. Some of the guitar noises in their songs got to me a bit - but scared really isn’t the emotion. I totally dig this album now, it’s fun to listen to, but when I was a kid it made me feel weird.

Also not the radio but The Late Late Movie used Syncopated Clock as it’s theme and that song can still cause a chill if I hear it unexpectedly.

Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin. When I was a kid, there was a TV program called “The Double Creature Feature” or something like that. It aired things like Godzilla and B horror movies every Saturday afternoon. Anyway, it used the psychedelic bit from the middle of Whole Lotta Love in it’s bumpers going to and from commercials, and it freaked me out! I’d run from the room if I were alone.

To this day, that part of the song still creeps me out.

Not a song, but Wolfman Jack scared the heck out of me. I didn’t understand that he wasn’t a real wolfman…

yeah, I’m a child of the 70s

I spilled the cup of water I was carrying the first time I heard Arthur Brown scream "I am the God of Hell Fire!!!"

“Rock Lobster” by the B-52s.

I used to have a clock radio with a “sleep” timer on it. I would listen to the local radio station while going to sleep, during which time they would run down the top 5 songs for the day. There was a stretch of time where “Rock Lobster” was in the top 5, and always seemed to be playing when I was half-asleep. The tail end of the song, with the creepy electric organ music and weird “fish” sounds used to give me nightmares.

I found Manfred Mann’s cover of “Blinded By The Light” a little intimidating.

Back in the late sixties, early seventies there was this song about, I think, a group of miners who got trapped underground and the song talks about Timothy with the intimation that Timothy gets eaten when the miners get hunger. OMG. Scared me to death when I was a kid. And I liked the tune, I remember that. It was only after I listened to the words that I freaked out. Yuck.

That’s “Nights in White Satin” btw. Easily and often confused.

When i was in high school I woke up to a clock radio, but it played for an hour or so while I drifted in and out of sleep. One time I had a seriously scary half-awake dream while “Hotel California” played and the song has made me creeped out ever since.

I also liked to read about the whole “Paul is dead” thing and find the clues. But finding the clues and the whole idea of the thing REALLY creeped me out. Kept on reading about it anyway. So pretty much anything cited in the “Paul is dead canon” scared me.

This was in the 80’s and 90’s by the way - not while it was actively happening. I knew he wasn’t dead.

I thought I was the only one who got that eerie feeling when reading about “Paul is dead”! It’s weird…I didn’t really know about that rumor until the late 80s, either, so I KNEW he was alive, but the whole thing just puts me in a very strange mood.

Ick, ick, ick, yes! There was this song, I don’t even know the title or artist, it was in the early-to-mid-eighties that I heard it, that to this day kind of creeps me out - something about the music bothered me, because I sure didn’t/don’t mind the words. It was something about having to get down to the river, since everyone thought he had killed someone, but she was fine when he left her, and he has to get to the river (to prove he hadn’t done it? I’m not sure why). I can’t even listen to songs that remind me of it. Any idea who it was, so that I can avoid them more thoroughly?

I am so bloody ashamed that I know this.

Hazard by Richard Marx.

I didn’t hear it on the radio, but whenever my sister played Kiss’s “God of Thunder” I’d get freaked out. The end of “Black Diamond” also freaked me out, as the speed of the recording gradually slows down and comes to nearly a complete stop. At the time (about 7-8 years old) I thought the whole space-time continuum (or my vague conception of it at the time) was slowing down around me. Creeped me out big time!

Timothy

And any fan of MST3K knows that Timothy was a duck!

For me, for some reason, “Big Bad John” by Jimmy Dean kinda creeped me out when I was a kid.

“Tubular Bells” by Mike Oldfield. After part of it was used in The Exorcist, it became a hit single. The association was enough to make us kids stop whatever we were doing and talk in awed whispers about the whole shocking story.

Zebra- ditto Wildfire, assuimg you mean the one about the horse.

ZipperJJ- thanks! :slight_smile:

There were some that made me really sad when I heard them, but the only one that creeped me out when I was a kid was on TV - it was the theme to Perry Mason.

OK, so I feel a little old. :rolleyes:

I thought Painted Black was spooky, and the keyboard section in. . Runaway (I wa wa wa wa won-duh, why she ran away! or something) but my older sister had something. . . I have no idea what it was-- I want to say ELO but I realize that’s highly unlikely (she mostly listened to the pop stuff-- Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Manilow, KISS, etc. . . so I can’t image what this would have been)-- but it was like distorted electronic work-- some sort of oscillating synth stuff that reminds me (in my memory) of more modern ambient techno, but it scared the crap out of me. I’d get hysterical whenever she played it and jump up on a couch since I was afraid of touching the floor.
If someone could guess what it was based on this I’d be impressed. Someone could probably determine the exact date of my birth as well from this post.