Asashoryu clinches Nagoya sumo tournament title

Are there any sumo fans out there?

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/sports/news/20060722p2a00m0sp034000c.html

:snicker: He said “Asahoryu”. :snicker:

Is this where I say ‘whoosh’? I do not get it.

Say it out loud.

Not getting the joke.

Anyway, good to see he’s back in form after his injury. A 15-win sweep would be incredible.

Also, it looks like Kotooshu’s under some pressure. He has to beat Tochiazuma today to get his kachikoshi.

It struck me this tournament that over a quarter of the Makuuchi division is foreign now: of the 42 wrestlers, five are Easten European, at least five are Mongolian and one is Korean.

I have been following Sumo for years and Asashoryu since he made the top division. I have said his name hundreds of times. I still do not get it.
Are you a sumo fan?

I really like Asashoryu. I am though almost wishing a few of the Japanese rikishi would challenge him and win some tournaments.

ass ass whore you

Dunno much about sumo, but it must be strange to live in a country where professional wrestling is for real.

(Errmm . . . It is, isn’t it?)

1. Used to avidly follow this sport when Ozumo Digest was broadcast on a local station, and later when Hawaii had its greatest contingent ever (Yokozuna Akebono, capable Ozeki and later Yokozuna Musashimaru, and fading but still capable Konishiki, and at least one person in Juryo). Now that there hasn’t been any local broadcast for years and no American even sniffing sekitori now, not so much.

2. Asashoryu has been simply out of this world for the past two or three years. He won 7 championships in a row at one point and now has 17 overall. Not even Takanohana had this kind of dominance.

3. Which raises a pretty thorny issue of just how Japan is going to deal with it. No, not the foreign yokozuna issue (which I’m sure most regular Japanese citizens are sick of hearing about at this point), the question of who the freak else can win a championship. Seriously, who is there? Chiyotaikai is fading, Tochiazuma is too inconsistent, Kaio is BARELY hanging on, Kotomitsuki just can’t ever move above “pretty good” status, and Miyabiyama…sorry, folks, but his time came and went. At least when we had the Futagoyama Advantage, we had an entire stable competing for championships. A one-man show doesn’t benefit any sport, and certainly not one as struggling for relevance in a 21st century world as sumo.

4. Okay, this is the SDMB, we shouldn’t have to horribly bungle Japanese words for cheap laughs. That’s “a”, pronounced “aaaahhh”, “sa”, as in the first part of “soccer” (we’ve just had a World Cup, so this should be easy for you), “sho”, prounounced, mmm…sho, and finally “ryu”, a combination of “reee” and “oooh”. And not “raiyu”, “rayu”, or some other ridiculous nonsense, and just how long ago was Street Fighter 1, anyway?

(And for that matter, I’d really like to know how the freak “kerryokee” became so widespread.)

1. It’s not wrestling. The Japanese term for wrestling is “puroresu”. Sumo is a completely different animal, complete with its own history, rituals, and qualifications (Can execute a textbook takedown? Great! And completley useless in sumo!). And it’s all real, despite the tedious blatherings about fixed matches those tabloids regurgitate on a regular basis. Furthermore, what distinguishes this from even legitimate wrestling (the kind with a point system and singlets and 3-minute rounds) is that it’s not all wrestling; hitting is permitted. In fact, a number of sumotori achieved phenomenal success with their striking power. Akebono was one.

2. There has been some effort to limit foreigners in the league. There was actually a new proposed rule that each stable could only have one foreigner at a time (not sure how far this went). For all the progress this country has made, the fact remains that a lot of sumo fans don’t like the idea of a foreign yokozuna, much less a foreign SOLE yokozuna. The unfortunate truth is that sumo simply is an unattractive career option for a Japanese budding professional athlete with any real potential, and we’re just not going to have the next Chiyonofuji, Takanohana, or even Asahifuji, probably ever.

3. Looking back on this post, I just don’t freakin’ know how serious you’re supposed to take it, so respond how you will. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was in Japan from 2001-3 I was shocked that Sumo’s popularity was declining so fast. I did not meet a Japanese sumo fan under 40. The sport needs a Japanese Yokozuna to arrest this decline in popularity.
The only rikishi I can see winning a basho in the next year or so are:-
-Asashoryu(Mongolian)

• Hakuho(Mongolian)
    -Kotooshu(Bulgarian)
    -Baruto(Estonian)

Maybe Kisenosato is the Japanese chance at a Yokozuna?

I used to watch it when I lived in Osaka in 1996-7. Used to amaze me that a crowd of people would stand near a big TV at Moriguchi Keihan station and watch a bout on the way home…

Well and truly lost track of the players, and frankly surprised there are so many foreigners.

A katakana version of “brute”?

[QUOTE=First Amongst Daves]

BARUTO

A katakana version of “brute”?

I think it is a katakana version of “Baltic”. I could be wrong