ask the guy who wants to help you listen to better music

Instrumental metal…I’d suggest something like Explosions in the Sky (although they’re sludgier, and have gotten “prettier” in recent years) or Lightning Bolt (two guys, bass and drums, playing retarded-fast free-noise metal) I’ll humbly leave the mic open to whoever wants to suggest more.

Ozric Tentacles - I’ve always lumped them in with that great, slightly “hippie” brand of english bedroom psychedelia that came back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. The closest jump i’d make is the Bevis Frond. Check out “inner marshland” for a good introduction.

Honestly, most electronic music has lots of repeated arpeggios and ping-pong delays. But if you’re looking for something TG’ish, you can’t go wrong with Isao Tomita (try “snowflakes are falling”), Popul Vuh (too many records…check the earlier stuff), Synergy (try “electronic realizations for rock orchestra”), or of course Vangelis.

Also, Jarre’s “oxygene” influenced a whole generation of stuff - but you can really hear it in Aphex Twin’s “selected ambient works vol. 1” (NOT the more popular and oft-namechecked vol. 2)

I think I love you.

Tons of both, actually. What do you want to know?

Just the best of the best. Thanks.

I feel like I must get into Frank Zappa. Someone tell me what to buy.

For awhile here in LA there was a station that played dance music, and I found myself listening to it a lot. They played a couple of songs by an Italian singer named Moony, and I was surprised to find that I really liked it. I also like that song Lady by Modjo. Any recommendations in a similar vein? I really like this music when I’m jogging because it’s upbeat and high energy.

I love that Frou Frou song “Let’s Go” that is now on the Garden State soundtrack. I also really like the Cocteau Twins, Everything But the Girl, Swing Out Sister, Mono. Any recommendations similar to these?

Catherine Wheel (especially Black Metallic), Charlatans UK, “shoegazer” is that what they call it? Any more like that?

You have to listen to Glen Phillips!
He’s got a lot of songs online. Right now the best site to get that stuff is down temporarily, but there are some songs at http://www.glenphillips.com/songs.php

And if you like Glen Phillips, you might be familiar with some of his work with his old band, Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Morbid Angel, Covenant.

Could it be? Another Glen fan here?
Yeah, I forgot to mention Toad.

Purely instrumental metal is very, very rare. Earth, SUNN 0))), etc. have done some, but it’s more slow than fast.

Appreciate the compliment. I love music, and I know metal very well, and I like to help people. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want more recommendations.

btw, when did you change your name?

For instrumental funk/rare groove, check out the Dusty Fingers series of compilations. They’re up to something like Volume 11, so that’s a ton to work through.

For Dub, it depends on the artist. The quintessential record is King Tubby meets Augustus Pablo and the rockers uptown, but I think Lee Perry’s “revenge of super ape” is killer as well.

Earth are really incredible, but more of a sludge/drone band than metal. I think this guy wants more uptempo stuff.

What about some outstanding Cuban music? I heard some great stuff on the radio where the piano seemed to as much percussion as melody. Do you know of anything like that?

And, based on your interests, an easy one: I am a big blues fan, but the magic has been wearing off. What do you have that will knock me awake?

I really do not know how to describe my musical taste other than mostly mainstream alt/metal. My favorite bands are Tool and A Perfect Circle and I am also rather fond of Orgy, the more funky RHCP songs, Garbage, Eminem, and Bush. Can you suggest some bands along those lines?

I also really like Michelle Branch. More than I should, really. Any similar artists for her?

Have you tried poking around here?

What have you heard that doesn’t interest you anymore?

At the risk of sounding plebian, not to mention old, what can you recommend for someone who likes Julia Fordam, India. Aire, and Bonnie Raitt? And who has flirted with others, but must admit that sooner or later I always go back to James Taylor?

But when I’m in another mood, who could I listen to instead of Jesse Cook or Oscar Lopez?

I’ve listened to Altan and Clannad until I can actually tell them apart–what’s next?

And finally, how about the best zydeco to get the blood racing and the feet tapping?

I guess I am burned out on modern electric blues (Chicago and Texas styles) as well as its immediate ancestors (the Kings, the Alberts, Otis Rush, etc.). Maybe what I am looking for is something that is not so guitar-centric?

One of our very own Straight Dopers, AntaresJB, is a singer-songwriter who has often been compared (including by herself) to Michelle Branch. Check her out:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/antaresjb.htm