Ask the Irish Bloke

Not to forget that Trion will be over in October and D-marie will be here in August!!!

re: Area and drinks…

reminds me of a good joke.

a Sociolgist was doing a study of race relations in Dublin.

He stopped off in a bar and asked the regulars if the prople of Dublin were anti-semetic.

one of the regulars paused and said to him

“Nah, its just that they prefer the taste of Guiness.”
[rimshot]

Have you ever peed on the Blarney Stone?

Cool ! Hope you don’t mind me jumping in with some answers .
Too hung over today to work :wink:

Sue, Its a physical impossibility, unless you can hang by your feet over the precipice and manage not to get your hair wet.

Oh, good, I thought this thread had sunk to oblivion.

I’m going to be in Dublin from August 6-13. My brother and I are coming to visit my cousin, who is working there for the summer. As of yet we don’t have anything set up except for the plane tickets, so we still have lots of planning to do. Anybody want to meet us for drinks? :smiley:

D Marie… you are hereby nominated for understatment of the year!!

:smiley:

D Marie , any excuse for a piss up is a good one . See ya in Aug. :slight_smile:

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Ireland over Christmas of 1997-98. We ended up going to mass 3 times . At all 3 places, at communion time, there is no orderly que…whats up with that? In the states, each pew lines up one at a time…then the pew behind them lines up. In Ireland (at least the 3 places we were at), everybody makes a mad dash to que up with no pew order…strange…

dave

beats the shit out of me. :wink:

This’ll teach me to check in more often. Hey Moosie, when in October will you be there?? If we could all get together at the same time that would be too cool. Mrs. Trion an I will be there the 8th through the 13th.

Trion, talk about great timing! I’m going to be there October 9th-23rd. First week I will be in and around Dublin. I’m sure we can manage to meet up! We can leave the organizing to the locals. :wink:

Do you know where you’ll be staying and what you’ll be visiting? Have you started counting the days? :wink: (No, I haven’t!)

Do you find a lot of racist attitudes from surounding countries towards the Irish? I had an english friend who said that there was a reputation (in England) that the Irish were a poorly educated, ignorant lot. I’ve heard other countries have similar attitudes toward Ireland as well. Your thoughts?

There is a tradition of “Irish” jokes in England . This is slowly dying off I think , mainly due to the P.C. movement .
I don’t really have a problem with them and even within Ireland we tell the same jokes and just transplant “Kerry” for “Ireland” .
I don’t really know of any other country that has specific Irish jokes .

:: waiting for a lot of "Paddy Englishman/Scotsman/Irish jokes ::

yes and no.
people sometimes have an image of the Thick as pigshit, potato munching, rain and Incest Irish Paddy. There is alot of ignorance of this sort, but I wouldnt really call it racism. There is a lot of xenophobia abroad, in some parts of Germany you can still see the “No Dogs, No Irish” signs, but overall there isnt much of the Thick Paddy image anymore.
Ever since people stopped listening to “Comedians” like Bernard Manning, our reputation raised immensly!.

With the growth of the Celtic Tiger, Ireland has become a very cosmipolitan european city.

come and see for yourself!

Sounds Great Moosie! We don’t know where we’re staying yet. We got our plane tickets to and from the States and we went back to AAA this weekend to get more details settled. Unfortunately we wound up dealing with the most horrible travel agent possible. When we got her to finally do some work she seemed more interested in planning the trip she wanted to take rather than helping us with ours. When I know more I’ll be sure to let you John and ruadh know.

:slight_smile:

I, Coldfire, might also join y’all in Dublin. Sounds like a fun bunch so far!

Coldie - that would be great! Come on over.

Something to keep in mind: Moosie say’s she’ll be there starting on the 9th, a Monday. I’ll be flying out on the 13th, that Friday. So we are talking a work week here. But it’s three months away - plenty of time to get out of work if need be. :slight_smile:

This is starting to sound good.