Ask the Shi`a Nizari Ismaili Muslim Woman

The rules for converting are rather complicated. Of course, like any sect of Islam, the requirement for converting is to recite the Shahdah in front of reliable witnesses. However, we also require potential converts to learn about the history of Ismailism, and our rites and ceremonies, and the reasons for them, and then to be able to demonstrate this knowledge. The entire process takes about a year, and you do have to be really commited to converting, rather than just doing it for a lark.

Hi. I’m new here. Mel is my name, and I’m a Filipino male in my early 50s. I’ve recently converted to Islam, and I’m very much interested in attending a Nizari Ishmaili gathering/worship that is open to the public

I live here in Melbourne Australia. I tried once to attend some sort of jamatkhana here in my city but it was a closed group, and not open to the public. I have an interest in Nizari Ishmaili beliefs and practise, and I’d like to meet them face-to-face and hear their talks. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thank you

Angua, I wish you a happy Eid Mubbarak, as you said upthread that you did practise fasting during Ramadan.
My question to you is about Islam’s and specifically Ismaili’s relationship with Zoroastrianism, aka Pathanism in India.
Definitely not ‘people of the book’, ie non-Abrahamaic in origin. Given that both India and Iran have significant numbers of practising Zoroastrians is there anything mentioned in the Koran or Hadith, indeed for that matter in the Torah or Bible?

Very good luck with your Thesis, what is your specific subject, there’s a lot of ‘it’ out there!
Peter

Just so you know, this is an 8 year old thread, and the OP has not posted here for several months. You might have better luck PM’ing her rather than resurrecting this old thread. Also, I think we changed the rules os that “Ask the…” threads go in the IMHO forum, not GD.

Moved to MPSIMS from Great Debates.

While the OP hasn’t posted here since February they were active here as late as yesterday, so they may see the post. But PM’ing is still probably the best way to go.

This is one of the coolest, most informative, interesting zombies ever!

I can’t believe Haqim, the Assamites Antediluvian, was just a far fetched rumor that turned into something even more random that got turned into crack by White Wolf.

FWIW, Angua’s gotten her doctorate (and a few jobs in her field) since this thread petered out in 2005, but is rather busy with real life stuff at the moment so may not be able to respond in any depth even if she’s lurking.

Angua’s one of the coolest, most informative, interesting members on the boards. :slight_smile:

I think the intent of the question was to ask the OP what the Qur’an says about homosexuality, and whether or not what the Qur’an says is correct.

The Qur’an differs from the Bible in that it was written by a single man, and is generally accepted by Muslims to be a verbatim expression of God.

While some Christians believe in plenary verybal inspiration of scripture, it’s pretty obvious such a position is inconsistent because the books of the Bible have so many authors and the Bible is so self-contradictory. This is not nearly as true of the Qur’an.

So the question is: What does the Qur’an have to say about homosexuality, and is that open to “interpretation”?

(I will concede that Bible is unambiguously against homosexuality, but I’m curious about the Muslim position on the Qur’an and homosexuality…)

It doesn’t seem likely the OP will be around to discuss it.

Single man who READ a lot of stuff from other cultures and tribes some 600 years later and did a lot of copy-paste.

It would be like you writing a book on Philosophy today with access to German and English sources since 1400’s.

Hi guys. OK, so I know I haven’t been pretty active on this board, but yeah, as Gyrate mentioned, real life is getting in the way (a wedding to plan chiefly!), so I really haven’t been posting at all.

Regarding visiting an Ismaili worship service, I’m afraid that really isn’t possible at all. Ismaili services have a closed door policy, primarily because ours is an esoteric faith and not a exoteric faith, and an outsider really won’t learn that much about us from just coming to a service. However, we do have resources available to those who wish to learn about us. theismaili.org is a general history and Ismaili heritage website, and the groups in your area may put on events that are open to the public, and should be willing to talk to you about our faith etc.

Regarding questions of homosexuality, yes, the al-Koran, written 1400 years ago, says its sinful. And yes, most Muslims will tell you its a sin. A grave sin at that.

However, in Ismailism, the Koran is seen as a document that founded the faith 1400 years ago, and was a document of its time and place. Yes, we believe in the Koran, but we also believe that the Imam of the time, is a living Koran, interpreting a 1400 year old document for the current time and place. He does not openly condemn it, but assumes a position of quiet live and let live tolerance. Until such a time that the Imam comes out and condemns homosexuality, we will simply adopt that position of quiet live and let live.

Interesting viewpoint that aligns with what has been my experience in Bosnia.

As a side note… could it be that you borrowed phrase *living document *from current discourse on US Constitution – the those sides being those that claim it is a *living document *vs. original intent?

I don’t think it was intentional. The Imam has, traditionally, in Ismailism, been termed “the living Book”, so any phrase borrowing is unintentional! :slight_smile:

Hi. Mel is my name. I’m…

• a Filipino male in my early 50s
  • a recent convert to Islam
  • from here DownUnder/Australia, in the city of Melbourne
  • very interested in learning about the ways, beliefs, and practices of the Nizari Ismailis
  • most interested in getting in touch with other Nizari Ismailis where I am, face-to-face
  • hear talks given by Nizari Ismailis
  • interested in taking part in the gatherings/worship of such people, which are open and welcome to the public

Please do let me know of any info you can give me on such gatherings as I’ve indicated above in my area

thank you for reading this
Mel

Interesting thread.

I admit that, until reading it, much of what I knew about Ismalism was in the form of medieval legends concerning the Assassins and the Old Man of the Mountain.

How susceptible is the Ismaili sect to being targeted by Muslim fanatics? Are they already being targeted in the Sunni-Shia divide? (I remember reading about a recent bomb blast at the Aga Khan centre or some such) Is it possible that they could be declared non-muslims like Pakistani Ahmadis?

I now don’t dare mention of any interest I may have in the Ishmaili or Mevlevi (and other sufis) teachings in front of conservative/traditional Sunnis. I’m also finding out now that even the conservative Shi’a don’t like the Ishmailis…despite the fact that the Ishamailis are Shi’a

Hi Mel. The links I posted above should be pretty informative.
** bldysabba**: The short answer is “very”. Its not just in modern times, but through history, much of conservative Islam has decreed Ismailism to be heretical. It is, in large part, responsible for the doctrine of taqqiya, where not just historically (but also, e.g. in the USSR when it was an entity), Ismailis would conceal their beliefs, not publicize their worship gatherings etc etc, in order to protect themselves from attack, often violent and catastrophic (see the Mongols and Alamut).