Ask the single-sex high school girl!

I’m not old. :o

Now I want to go to an all girls school, too!

::: not really a DirtyOldMonstre[sup]TM[/sup], just plays one on TV :::

So what does the whole “brother school” thing mean, anyways? That these are just the guys they bring over for your dances? (Which I would have to agree – that doesn’t sound like the best batch to bring over for your dancing and dating pleasure…) Or is there some other significance to a brother school?

Does the school have a curfew?

Welcome to the SDMB!

::: noting that Merla is definitely a cutie, and the GRA loser boys had better not bug her! :wink: :::

Miss Mapp- When I started going here (9th grade), we were allowed to wear pants but NEVER blue jeans. In 10th grade we got a new dean that said no extra pockets allowed- lots of things went on with this, including a petition my friend and I started that got us our pocket rights back. But, then the boom was dropped. We switched to horrid, disgusting uniforms, made by the "Schoolbelles"company. Khaki and navy pants and skirts, knee socks, button-down blouses or polos. All very baggy, inferior quality, coming apart at the seams. SUCKS. Forget those schoolgirl uniform fantasies men have, everyone here looks terrible. At least in these clothes, that is. I find I clean up rather nicely :smiley:
Anyway, I bet you had Mrs. Casseau- and she’s still here. Been here for 45 years!

Merla

PS: That schedule? I’m ignoring that too you dog!

What was the last play you did?

Do you think the lack of boys improves your education or is that the teachers challenge you more at the private school. If there were boys in you classes would you be getting worse grades?

Oh, you poor things. Sounds god-awful ugly.

The name is familiar, so yes, probably.

I also remember a Mrs. Brownlee for English, and Miss Nasvitas (or something like that) for French.

Merla - So what are you learning? What is class like? If you could, how would you change school to foster a more productive attitude? What subjects are you taking?

Do you all have to wear Britney Spears uniforms? What are your plans for college?

What are your hopes and dreams?

Mine were cruely smited by the cold hard world…

Sorry about that, I must be blind, you already said something about your “uniform”…

I have attended an all-girls school. Me am boy. Me was happy. We drank beer at lunch.

Yes, I think I get a much better education here. I plan to study biology in college. Right now my classes are AP english, Color & design (art), Ethics, Film, Chemistry, and modern dance. I loooove my school, even though it can be pretty boring.
Uniforms are icky, but at least we have nice dance leotards.
Teachers challenge us a LOT. Average homework is about 1 1/2 hours per night. Sucks. People think we’re lesbians here, but only a few girls really are. And we can get pretty desperate for boys sometimes. Just a little, though.
And the last play we did was called “Catholic school girls”
(we aren’t catholic, btw, just did the play)
And the brother school is pretty much for some guys to come to dances and that’s it. Sucks big time.
Merla

They have “sex high schools” now? I’m going to kill my guidence counselor.

Is your school’s faculty completely female as well? One of my ex’s went to an all female college, and I was surprised how most of the adults, even in positions such as the therapists, were male.

I went to an all girls school from grade 4 right through to year 12. Junior school from 4 through 6, and senior school from 7 through 12 (they are more or less run as seperate schools, even though we shared a campus and some facilities) Personally, I loved it from about year 10 onwards, but before that it was very catty and bitchy. I was a day girl (only about 10% were borders).

I guess my questions relate more to the differences between your experience and mine rather than what goes on in an all girls school, because I already know about that.

Is it all that common for single sex, private education? Where I live, it’s not entirely uncommon - a lot of kids go to private schools and a large number of private schools are single sex.

You mentioned your brother school - how exclusive is the relationship there? For us, although we had a brother school, we did stuff with at least 2 other boys schools I can remember off the top of my head. And they did things like sex-ed practical classes with us and another girls school.

Did they do any “how to relate to boys” classes? I can remember in year 10, we did “human relations”, which was promptly dubbed “sex ed practical classes” with our brother school for three days - they did the classes with us and another girls school.

Do you do any interschool sport with other girls/co-ed public/private schools? Is there some kind of league for that?

Do you do any fun/silly sporting events with your brother school? We always had a Prefects vs Senior Committee football and netball day.

Your uniform sounds a bit more casual than ours was! But then uniforms are far more common here (both for public and private schools). Personally, I liked wearing a uniform - what are your views?

Is your school a religious school/owned by a church? Here, most private schools are owned or founded by churches, but are pretty much secular.

Is your school public, private or catholic? In my city, there are single sex schools in each category. If there are public single sex schools around - are there equal numbers of boys and girls schools or more of one gender over the other? (Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 state girls schools, but only 1 boys).

Are there any other girls schools nearby? If so, is there a strong inter-school rivalry? As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of single sex schools around where I live - and there were particular schools that we had very strong rivalry with, it was always so much sweeter to beat them at sport/music/maths/debating/chess or whatever.

You know, I recently saw that movie on Cinemax just the other night. Did you play the new girl with something to prove, or the popular leader of the established clique who doesn’t play by the rules when it comes to getting what she wants?

:smiley:

(OK, I’ll stop corrupting the nice thread now)

What are you wearing?

I remember my days as a catholic school girl. Much fun. Loved it completely. I went in officially straight, came out mostly lesbian.

Wow that’s a lot of questions. I’ll try to get to them all. I’d say about 15% of the local teens are in private schooling. The public schools in this area of Ohio are terrible, they are rated some of the worst in the country, so many parents enroll their children into private schools.
The other girls school nearby is Hathaway Brown, and generally we hate them- because they have more money.
Andrews is running out of money quickly; because it’s less donated to, because it’s not religously affiliated, and because many alumnis don’t donate money because some are upset when Andrews changed from a Job prep school to a college prep about 20 years ago.
In America, btw, every child has the right to attend most any public school he/she chooses, so all single-sex or religious schools are private. Mine only has about 200 students now.
We don’t do anything with our brother school except draft boys for plays and invite them to dances. It’s not that exclusive, but the other boys schools we invite don’t usually attend because they have other sister schools.
Andrews basically sucks at all sports except for Lacrosse, which we rule at. And we rule and equestrian too, but I’m not counting that. I don’t know since I haven’t played sports for a couple of years, but there are some silly rules about who we can and can’t play. Naturally we only play all-girls teams, but they can come from co-ed schools too.
We haven’t had any “relate to boys classes”, at least not recently to my knowledge. But many of the teachers here are semi-feminists and joke around about how women rule the world; like saying “snowoman” instead of snowman, and stuff like that. As for the faculty, I’d say it’s about split between male and female teachers. But many times when we get a mildly attractive new male teacher, the younger girls go all ga-ga for him.
To other questions, I am very straight. No way I’m going to turn lesbian.
And, I’m wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Merla

So, any truth to the old urban legend that you gals are all on the same cycle?

In an attempt to discover your age (to determine what questions I’m allowed to ask), I discovered something neat.

On your homepage, in that poem, I’M THAT GUY! Yeah! Really!

I quote:

“Your hair- an unruly mass of toffee colored strands tickle my nose as your sticky tongue slides down the valley…”

THAT’S ME! You described my hair exactly!

So, how you doin’? Hey, I lost your number, can you e-mail it to me?

(by the way, you’re welcome for me generating the subsequent 1000 hits on your site when I post this, lol!)

I went to an all girls’ Catholic school last year. I hated it. The classes were awful (I was taking three sophomore levels as a freshman, and I had already taken two of them in 8th grade), the other students were mostly rich, catty, “christian” girls (or so they claimed. They didn’t act very morally or anything) with no grasp of the real world, there was a complete and utter lack of personal hygeine (“Oh, it’s ok if I don’t wash my hair or shave my legs! There’s no guys to look good for.” So…um…do you have any self respect at all?), and in gym we were graded on how well we could shoot baskets, or hit a volleyball, instead of how much we tried. I got a D, because I’m simply awful at sports. Oh, and the admistration never filled the pad and tampon machines. What the hell?

Some of the teachers were wonderful, though. And I did make several really good friends. But overall, it sucked.

That was a total hijack, wasn’t it? Sorry.

Here, this makes it an un-hijack–do you have any such problems at your school?

Hi, single-sex high school girl! Meet the single high school guy!

(leers, catches himself, then reminds himself that he’s trying to sublimate his impulses or something)

So, seeing as how few students at your school have signifigant others, how are those that do seen? In my public, both-sex high school, it’s as common as picking your nose. I think I’m the only junior here floating alone in the sea of loneliness. Most are quite indifferent here about whether or not a person has another in his/her life. 'Least I am.