[QUOTE=kittenblue ]
How about a definition for those of us too lazy to google?
[/QUOTE]
It’s a neurological brain “difference,” which is not supposed to be considered damage or abnomality since it causes no harm and isn’t the symptom of any disease, that makes people experience stimuli with a sense that the stimuli shouldn’t evoke, as well as the one it should. Some people taste colors, some feel sound, others see colors around numbers, and those like me see sounds. It seems to be rare for someone to experience more than one of these. IICR, associating numbers and colors, and tasting colors, are the most common.
It’s more common to left-handed people than right, which isn’t surprising given our brains are already wired differently to begin with. It’s more common in women than men, as well.
[QUOTE=Happy Clam]
Do you find synaesthesia useful to you*, an annoyance, or do you just not really notice it? Or, in other words, how much impact does being a synesthete have on your life?
[/QUOTE]
If you read the articles, they’re usually filled with people who say things like it enhances their lives, and they couldn’t imagine not having it, and they wouldn’t give it up for anything.
Well, I’d sell it away, cheap. It’s in no way useful to see sound, at least not to the degree I do. Perhaps if it was something you could control it might have practical applications, but to me it’s just irritating. But I suppose if every sound had a color, I’d lose my damn mind, so perhaps I should be grateful for small blessings, eh?
It’s more annoying when my eyes are closed, because it’s actually more noticeable. Imagine being nice and warm in bed and you’re half asleep. Then, somewhere in the house a motor kicks on or a truck drives by outside, and inside your eyelids are **flooded ** with color, waking you up entirely again. Motors are bright white, sharp noises involving things like slammed doors are black and white like TV snow, traffic is purple or yellow, something soft I couldn’t identify was light blue, and something recently was black. Black was okay, it was so subtle that I barely noticed it. However, I see white the most often, and it’s the most startling. Given it takes me forever to fall asleep to begin with, I’m never thrilled when colors startle me and I have to begin all over again.
I didn’t notice until recently that I see colors when my eyes are open too. I have no idea what the noises are that cause them, but I see white, a faint red, gray, and yellow now and then. It’s a lot less distracting, though, since it looks different. It’s more of a little wavy haze an out of the corner of the eye thing. Another person I know with this form says she sees the same sort of flashes with her eyes open as I do closed, so it varies from person to person.
[QUOTE= AHunter3]
To those of you with audio-as-visual synesthesia: could something like that be devised that would show us what you see when you hear sound, or would something critical be “lost in translation”? Do any of the existing ones mimic to any significant degree what you see via synesthesia, or not so much? If you listened to a given piece of music, would it “look” essentially the same in the same way that it sounds essentially the same when you play it again? Could you work with a software geek and create a module that would do a visual that replicated what you “see” in the sound, or would the rules be too hard to explain and apply, in your opinion?
[/QUOTE]
I looked at all the visualizations, but I didn’t see one that really matched. So I made an animated gif instead. With eyes closed, it looks like this, but imagine it sped up about 8-10 times, and without repeating. Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos
[QUOTE=Sattua ]
How severe/overt/consistent does the experience have to be, to be officially synesthesia? It seems like something that most people would have to a very minor extent in a very limited way–I always think that the number 4 is orange, for example. Are you being constantly surprised by new associations? Is there anything systematic? (for example, 1 is red and 3 is yellow, so 4 is orange?)
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure how the associations between colors and numbers work, sorry, but I do know some people are more severely affected than others. I’d say I’m on the mild end, personally.
Unfortunately, at least as far as I’m concerned, new associations happen. I’m always a bit dismayed when a new sound has color too. It does seem pretty systematic, actually. The new sounds are usually to some degree “sharp” and sudden like the old ones. lower noises like a truck’s jack-brakes are more colorful than snapping ones.
I’ll have to leave **SoulFrost’**s question for someone else.