Assassination fears

And the ones who are smart enough to succeed are hopefully going to realize that a) killing him in office would martyr him and b) the Secret Service tends to catch the guys who do it (and then they get the death penalty).

I’m very worried about it. When I see him giving live speeches, I don’t tend to watch the screen.

I also worry for Sarah Palin. She strikes me as the kind of person who really could inspire the sort of “I love her I need to kill her!” crazies.

I worked with the Secret Service in a previous life with the DoD, I’m here to tell you that you don’t know the half of it. These cats are jumpy, twitchy, nervous, observant and so highly trained that it would make you sick.

Still, big cities with lots of tall buildings present a real problem. With everything they have in the way of technology, manpower and training, there are some things you simply can’t prepare your way out of. I have the same fears as the OP, but I think the actual risk is very, very low.

The problem is not with the shot. The problem is getting away with it. There is no defense against a well trained sniper who is willing to die to succeed in an assassination.

• “If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it’s that you can kill anyone.”* —Micheal Corleone

If someone wants to badly enough and is willing to die in the attempt ,it can be done. Bhutto was a recent example. You can not protect against every nut case.

Can’t convince you otherwise. I’ve posted elsewhere that I think unfortunately he’ll make a attractive target for unstable people. He’s gotta go outside sometimes. Long distance rifle or close-range pistol pulled out of a pocket.

Maybe he’ll do such a good job that everyone will love him though. I really do hope that happens, but I have my doubts.

This sounds fascinating. Can you tell us more?

Which is why I’m every bit as concerned about McCain as I am about Obama.

Excellent link. Really.