Assassin's Creed 4 initial impressions (potential spoilers)

This is by far the best AC game since AC2. So much more open and the environment is awesome. Almost makes me want to be a pirate in the West Indies my self. The naval warfare, which I hated in AC3, is incredibly well done in this one. I don’t dread getting out on the sea like I did in AC3. Edward is easily the best protagonist since Ezio and, I think, better in alot of ways.

I think they wanted to make a pirate game but use the existing AC mechanics and couldn’t figure out how to do it without everyone saying “It’s just AC on a boat” so they worked this one into the universe to avoid those accusations right away. That’s ok with me. I’m really enjoying looking for treasure maps and taking over forts etc…

I STILL hate tailing and eavsdropping and it seems, so far anyway, that alot of the story missions are those two flavors.

Oh, PS4 by the way.

Having played way too much of it over the holidays… It is tiiiiime to goooo noooow, haul awayyy your SHUT YOUR CUNT MOUTHS UP ! SAIL IN SILENCE YOU BASTARDS !

And that’s a good half of the AC4 experience :slight_smile:

I’m bored. Bored by this game. To tears. The only enjoyable parts are the plantation raids stealth sequences, and that’ saying a lot considering the stealth mechanics are half-baked and the sailing, except even that is getting a bit boring.

Had really high hopes for this, really got into it for like 3 hours… and this is definitely my goodbye to the series.

Here’s hoping Watchdogs doesn’t turn out to be the same just in a modern setting.

Didn’t realize this got bumped. Played a lot more (obviously), so let me just get to the biggest obstacles to 100% completion:

Legendary ships: By far the hardest part of the game, but if I can take 'em, so can you. First off, get ALL the upgrades (you’ll need to visit the diving bell locations) and make sure your ship is fully repaired.
HMS Prince (southeast) - The easiest. Broadside, swivel, broadside, swivel, rinse and repeat. All you really need to do is keep on the move to avoid its heavy shot; otherwise it has nothing that can really hurt you.
Royal Sovereign and HMS Fearless, a.k.a. The Brothers-In-Arms (northeast) - The trick is NOT to follow the obvious strategy, i.e. sink them one at a time. Why? Because while both are still afloat, neither can use their heavy shot, which is the real danger here. Stay on the move, pepper them both from a distance, and do your best to avoid being sandwiched. You may take a broadside from one of them while you’re focused on the other, but as long as it doesn’t happen too often you should be in pretty good shape.
El Impoluto (southwest) - Its attack plan is simple; build up astounding speed and ram you, then use heavy shot to finish you off. When you see it rushing, sail perpendicular to it at full speed; this is the only way to avoid it. Even if you can’t avoid it completely, with luck it’ll just graze your stern. Then immediately bank hard to get away from its heavy shot barrage. Once the threat is passed, unload on it (only the sides will give you weak points). From there it’s just a pure battle of attrition where you must avoid heavy damage to have any chance. Stay sharp!
La Dama Negra (northwest) - This one’s just cruel. This monster is equipped with a mortar which can fire like 25 shots per salvo, each hit doing sick damage, and it’s very quick on the draw with its heavy shot. Worse, the only part of it that will open up weak points is the stern. I have no fancy strategy here; just stay on the move and get its back if you possibly can!

I’m not entirely sure, but it seems like if you just keep at it (and follow a sound strategy), eventually you’ll prevail. One time the Brothers-In-Arms were no trouble but I struggled horribly against La Dama Negra; another time the Brothers-In-Arms were a pain, El Impoluto was relatively simple, and La Dama Negra was impossible the first three times but went down easily the fourth. There’s no telling.

Mission objectives: The important thing to remember is that you don’t have to get both at the same time. You can clear one, do the other on replay, and it’ll count as both cleared. The ones that might give you trouble:
“Use one broadside to sink two boats” - At this stage of the game, you won’t have much firepower, so just ignore it. When you replay this, your firepower will be what it currently is, making it much easier.
“Kill four gunners” - You’re going to have to run around a bit to find them, during which Prins and Torres are going to get distracted a lot. This actually works to your advantage, as they’ll stay put, lessening the risk that you’ll get too far from them and desync. Take out any meddling guards that get in your way (out of sight); as soon as you see the gunners, drop them with sleep darts.
“Use a fire barrel to sink a ship” - The barrel does not have to strike the ship directly; if you shoot it with a swivel and the explosion sinks a ship, that counts. This is actually easier, so go for the direct hit only if you get a really good opportunity.
“Skin three animals” - While marooned, the only animals you can skin are black panthers; the best way is to hide in foliage, whistle it over, and kill it with the hidden blade. Make sure you get at least two from the first area before proceeding further into the jungle. You’ll get a chance for a third before confronting Vane.
“Double Assassinate Cockram and Burgess” - This can be really, really irritating because this duo apparently has spider senses; as soon they glimpse your fleeting form for a millisecond or hear your breathing, you’re busted. The trick is that they can’t detect you while talking. Climb to the top of the closest house (sleep-darting the tower gunner so he doesn’t blow your cover). Soon after the duo gets within sight, they’ll bark something to a man in a barracks, whereupon you can seal their fate with an air assassination.
“Stay out of combat/use a rope swing to kill the captain” - The rope is in the tower. You have to begin your swing as the captain is walking toward you. If you’ve avoided combat up to this point and miss, be sure to assassinate him immediately so you at least get the first part done.
“Stay out of combat while finding Hornigold” - You only need to avoid detection by other ships before finding The Benjamin (which requires plenty of hard maneuvering but otherwise isn’t too tough). Once on the island, you’re free to go all out against his guards.
“Visit two old friends” - The tricky part (other than the fact that you’re underarmed) is that one of the “friends” is actually 1. an enemy and 2. dead, and you must get to him before entering the prison. His remains are in a gibbet near the shore. Vane, inside the prison, is easy to find.
“Use two guards as a human shield” - You must do this while fighting El Tiburon. Also, if you’re wearing the First Civilization outfit, change to something else before starting the mission, or else it will be almost impossible to use human shields.

Kobal 2 - You can turn off shanties in the options. I’m actually surprised you never tried that.

The key to the Dama Negra is to get in close and personal. It can’t fire mortars at point blank. Full speed ahead, ram it, heavy shot it, don’t let it get away.

And I know I can turn off shanties, that’s not the problem. The problem is that, even with every last shanty in the game in my possession the bastards insist on singing the same five or six all the bloody time. It’s like listening to daytime radio :).
Oh, and they abruptly stop whenever anything happens, which is sort of jarring. We’ll PAY Paddy DOYLE for his BCaptain’s taking a swim eerie silence. :smiley:

You can cut to a new shanty by pressing right on the d-pad, and make them stop by pressing down.

As a young teenage I spent countless hours roaming the high seas in the original Sid Meier’s Pirates! I really got to know the map of the Caribbean well as I retired several times as a King Advisor (Prince). Sir Francis Drake became my longstanding childhood hero.

I played the 2004 Pirates! game and had some fun reliving the past but it was nothing to write home about.

But now they make this game, which is an oblique update of Pirates! The only thing from the original I miss is having to actually tack into the ever changing wind and deal with different speeds depending on one’s angle to it. That would be more complicated and possibly boring when sailing the high seas - but much more tactically appealing during combat.

Agreed that the tactical aspect of sailing is really badly modelled and “arcadey” in A. Creed.
Having played a lot of Sea Dogs and its various sequels back in the day I was a bit disappointed to find that I could sail dead into the wind with seemingly no ill effects whatsoever besides maybe the ship lazily turning away on its own ; and the Jackdaw can turn, slow down, speed up on a dime (again, even straight into the wind).

OTOH I was happy that ship-to-ship mayhem tends to last a few minutes tops - in Age of Pirates you could spend an entire afternoon tacking and tacking and tacking, trying to make your broadside count because it took ages to reload, doing your absolute utmost to avoid getting pinged back because you were sailing the flimsiest bit of wood this side of a champagne cork… :). Fun, sure, but you wouldn’t want to be doing this for each of the gazillion ships Creed throws your way.

Well I finally beat this game. Really enjoyed it, though the story was tough to follow. Loved the setting and really enjoyed the sailing and exploring. The assassinations were all super easy and the final one was anti climatic. In fact I didn’t think I really beat the game when I did. All in all very fun and hopefully they can peel the AC out of this product and release a straight up pirate game now.

I just finished the game a week or two ago. I have mixed feelings.
Here are my rambling thoughts… I’m definitely glad that the amount of work I had to do outside the Animus was minimal (and that it made sense).
The game was long! Usually that’s a good thing; but sometimes I thought to “I just want to get through it!” However it’s a good enough game where I’m still going back to play it and try to pick up missing trophies and achievements.
The ship battle AI is definitely better. No more having to switch ammo type. If you press aim (PS3) and then press fire, you’re shooting chain balls, if you’re looking out the side of your ship and just press your fire button, you’re shooting cannon balls. I like how the ship upgrade were a mixture of pure money, finding the right materials, and treasure hunting.
I liked that you could earn two different outfits through the key hunting and the round rock key thing you’d find.
I hated that they teased you with the rope darts and you basically didn’t get them until after it didn’t matter.
I hated that there was not an ultimate achievement of a sword or a pistol that was 5, 5, 5 in all categories.
I hated that you can’t kill an alligator or shark with a knife.
I loved the underwater ship wreck puzzles. Some of those were really clever.
Sort of repeating what I said above, if I can punch a shark, (or any other animal for that matter), let me be able to kill him. That was one of the fun features for me in the last AC was the ability to wrestle a bear and kill it.
I still hate that I can’t run worth a shit in the game. I’ll be running from someone or trying to catch someone and whoops! suddenly I’m trying to run up a wall that I know I can’t scale.

Still a fun game, but I definitely see some wear and tear. Now if Naughty Dog would come out with a new Uncharted.

I have a question. I recently got a new tv, which of course has 3d baked into it :rolleyes: The ONLY application where 3d tv would be enjoyable to me is for video games. Is there a 3d option for AC IV in the settings anywhere for the ps3? I didn’t see one.

Just felt like dropping off one final note…

The biggest rewards (social chests, social Treasure Fleets, and white whales) require a server connection…but moreover, they require someone else to be playing at the same time (or something). Furthermore, there are “community challenges” that give rewards, and UbiSoft needs to be providing one at the time. Something like that.

IMO, this was a mistake, and a fairly serious one. The biggest problem is, what if I delete the game and start over (which I’ve done numerous times for each previous game)? All that progress loss, and since it depends on other players, there’s no guarantee I’ll ever see any of it again. And while getting the lonely single players involved in the community is a good idea in theory, having rewards dependent on other players is, effectively, just more heavy-handed blind luck, and you know how big a fan of that I am.

In the early weeks of the game, everyone was playing, so white whales and social treasure fleets where everywhere…for a time I was so wrapped up getting them that I hardly had time for anything else. But now that the initial hype is cooled, it’s practically impossible to find either anywhere, much less a social chest. Honestly, if I had absolutely zero intention of playing any of the board games and white whales and social chests were the only things preventing me from completing all the challenges, I’d be seriously ticked off.

In the future, if UbiSoft is to incorporate social elements in single player at all, they should be achievements savable to the player profile, so I can start a new game without worrying that Item X or Enemy Y won’t be there this time. I’m tentatively going to chalk this up to a rookie mistake that they’ll learn from quickly. They’ve had a pretty good track record with those.

Haven’t had the energy or motivation for Freedom Cry lately. Maybe this long weekend.