Assholes Who Don't Like Dylan's Voice

Pistols at dawn, sir!

I TRIED to get into and like Dylan, but his voice annoys me so much I can’t take it. I can read and enjoy the lyrics, and I like most covers of his stuff, but the original…sorry. I also can’t listen to Rush because of Geddy’s singing, though I recognize that they are a great band.

But it also doesn’t mean chocolate is, objectively speaking, bad or distasteful, as some people are claiming Dylan’s voice is.

I’m at best a casual Dylan listener; I don’t own any of his records, and he isn’t what I normally listen to. But even a casual inspection of his more well-known material reveals that he does have a voice, he can sing well, and he knows exactly how to use his voice to fit the song. “Lay Lady Lay”? “Positively 4th Street”? “The Times They Are A Changin’”? “Subterranean Homesick Blues”? Come on, folks. Really.

Springsteen, I don’t normally listen to either, but that dude can belt it out. And Tom Petty? Tom Petty is my man, so don’t fuck with him.

ahahaa.

Oh, now you’ve gone too far.

Ike, you’re spawning upstream in a dried up creek on this one. I was once told that the real measure of class is putting up with them that don’t got it.

People who don’t listen to Dylan don’t need to listen to Dylan. It’s not as if anyone needs to expand his fan base to increase his product sales to keep him from starving.

My favorite Dylan cover is When I Paint My Masterpiece by the Band. Both versions give me goosebumps, I just like the singing drummer with the Band. If I had to choose, like if the fucking music police were holding an AK to my head, I would pick the Bands version. Fortunately I have never had to choose my music at a bullys command. This is still the USA, freedom and all that.

Ike, I’m with ya all the way, brother!
I challenge anyone to listen to him sing “I Shall Be Released” and not be moved. Dylan rules! The rest of you guys don’t know shit from shinola!

Zette
(PS- this post closed captioned for the humor impaired)

I’m with dropzone and pldennison. Who cares if his vocal timbre sounds like a rusty chainsaw? It’s what he puts into the song that counts.

Otherwise we’d be listening to 101 Strings Play the Lennon-McCartney Collection. [insert vomiting smiley]

Besides, I have it on good authority that dewt likes dylan’s voice. And who else has a better right to an opinion? :rolleyes:

Yuck, I don’t like Bob Dylan at all - not the music, not the voice. Maybe it’s in my genes - my mother hates folk music.

I don’t think it’s an ‘adult’ taste, either, since most of the people I know who listen to him are younger than I am.

What he puts into it? Ornette Coleman and Lester Young put all of themselves into their music and everyone isn’t crazy about them.

I think Bob has brainwashed the lot of you.

Well I guess I’m an asshole. Sorry. I mean, I want to fit in here. I like a lot of you folks. But if you ever want to torture me you can forget the hot coals and thumb screws, just throw a Dylan tune on. To me, it’s absolutely hideous. I swear I can hold my nose and sing just like him and I have not a drop of musical talent. Okay, maybe I do have a drop, I played Sax in high school jazz band. But I know enough to stay away from the microphone.

Well, since I’m an asshole, all I can do now is try to be the best asshole that I can be. I’m not going to be one of those mediocre assholes. No sir. I take pride in my work.

First off, de gustibus non disputandum: roughly translated, ain’t no arguing over taste.

Second, while I am a total Dylan fan, I can understand why some people don’t like his voice. There’s no need to condescend to folks, Ike.

I enjoy Dylan’s voice because of the authenticity he conveys in his phrasing. Dylan didn’t set out to write 3 and a half minute pop tunes to be played on the AM drivetime slot. The roughness of his voice fits right in the harmonic tradition of Appalachian folk music, where the boy from Hibbing, MN, drew his inspiration. Folk singers like Malvina Reynolds, Pete Seeger, and Woody Guthrie had less than mellifluous voices, but the very plainness of their singing styles gave force to songs of labor, struggle, and sorrow.

Alright - now you’re fucking with me. Bruce is, without doubt*, the bestfuckinsinger in the history of time. So there. I mean - can you imagine anybody else singing the Born To Run album? Britney doing Thunder Road perhaps? I mean - did you hear Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s version of Born To Run? Jeez.

pan

*alright - maybe a bit of doubt

[little girls voice] Hey Mister… Who’s Bob Dylan? [/little girls voice]

:slight_smile: My two cents… I like him!

I agree completely.

This thread is totally pointless. Will someone please close it and save us some time and heartburn?

Thanks.

Wheeeeeeeee-HAWKEN!

Go ta bed, get up and come to work in the morning, tune in the crystal set, and by golly we’re up to page TWO already! Cool! Where were all you guys when I wanted to talk about Henry Darger and “Sally Go Round the Roses” ?

I’ve got to put the word “asshole” in my thread titles more often, I guess.

Clarification of the OP: I cited Armstrong and Stewart and Guthrie because they have varying degrees of roughness, toughness, and grit to their voices, and are consequently less easy to “enjoy” than a smoothster like Der Bingle. (Not to put down Crosby. There’s a time and a place for everything.) I don’t know why the fuck I included Mariah, her current popularity I suppose, as I have no idea what she sounds like.

Okay, to everyone I’ve offended: I don’t give a damn if you don’t like Dylan, but I do maintain that acquired tastes are more rewarding than listening to top-40 singles and eating white sugar straight from the bowl.

And all those guys defending Bob’s voice, pldennison and Upham and Nacho and Lux Fiat and Zette and magdalene and everybody? They are VERY SMART posters. You should listen to them carefully, and pattern your lives after theirs.

• silky voice *

oh Ike…

John Corradosigh…must be put on notice that another poster has captured my imagination…

/silky voice

in my realms of experience, I’ve noticed that you either like Dylan * :: shivers of joy :: * or you don’t.

[sub] Dylan is god and I love Ike! [/sub]

ps: can I use that “I’m right, you’re wrong, fuck off” thing in my sig?

Except my only back up would be the endless repetition of “But I can’t stand Tom Petty.” I’ve seen MANY Pit threads and MANY, MANY GD threads that looked just like that back and forth on many topics, but I’m in no mood to start one now.

Ya know what? I hate Bob Dylan. Love Rush. Hate Bob Dylan. Love Tom Petty. Hate Bob Dylan. Love Jimi Hendrix. Hate Bob Dylan.

My parents went to a concert of his 10 years ago with another couple. They said he looked as if he had no clue what city he was in, let alone what planet. After the concert, the other couple asked my parents what they thought of it. My parents said that they really didn’t like it too much. The other couple laughed saying “We thought it was terrible, but we didn’t want to tell you because we invited you to go.”
My parents then said “Yeah, we thought the same thing. But you invited us so we couldn’t ask you if you wanted to leave early.”

Probably the only song of Dylan’s that I like to hear him sing is “Hurricane.” Either that, or “I like big butts” by Sir Mix-a-Bob.

Those at the bottom of the hill can never appreciate the view seen by those at the top. I gotta give mad props (am I allowed to say that?) to Uke and the rest of the BD fans.

There seems to be quiate a bit about Dylan in other threads, (Dylan vs. Jimi, etc.) and about cover tunes. I’ve posted it before and I’ll post it again. There has never been, nor will there ever be a true songster the likes of Bob Dylan[sup]1[/sup].

Appreciation of BD is like understanding “completing the square” in algebra. You don’t get it. You don’t get it. You don’t get it. You don’t get it. Epiphany You get it and it’s good. Keep trying, y’all. :slight_smile:

FTR, I gotta break from the Gritty Voice Conglomeration, and be a purist here. BD can NOT be placed in the same group as Springsteen, Petty, et. al. for comparison. Petty started out as a Dylan wannabee, but has progressed into a viable singer/song writer in his own right (American Girl does, indeed, rock). Springsteen? What can I say. No big fan. I do like that one song about the kids drinking on the beach and complaining about how life is a drag and they want to escape. Oh, wait, that’s damn near every song from 1973-1985!!!

[sup]1[/sup]With possible exceptions of Tom Waits, Ani Difranco and John Prine.

I really like Dillon’s voice. It’s so authoritative and deep. But he doesn’t smile enough.
Festus is funny and Miss Kitty…what’s that, honey?
Oh, THAT Dylan. I love his voice,too.
So fart on you other fuckers!