Assholish New Ford Mustang Commercial

[QUOTE=D_Odds]
Well, now that’s an advertisement that might hook me…I just need to find a drive-thru dry cleaner. They’re not too common in the heart of Queens.
[/QUOTE]

If you drive a Mustang hot women will search Queens for a drive thru dry cleaners for you.

[QUOTE=Merijeek]
Could you explain the part above for those of us in the cheap seats?

-Joe
[/QUOTE]

There is a commercial that is being run nearly non-stop during the baseball playoffs. John Mellenkamp is playing a patriotic song in the background and the commercial is a montage of various iconic historical scenes from the 50’s to today interspersed with Ford trucks.

[QUOTE=crazyjoe]
Strangely enough, the VAST majority of mustang purchasers are women betwwen the ages of 18 and 30.
[/QUOTE]

PENIS. ENVY.

[QUOTE=Loopydude]
PENIS. ENVY.
[/QUOTE]

According to Sailboat’s cite the mustang was intended to be for a female market, so I guess that means guys that buy them have…

VAGINA. ENVY.
:wink:

Ye gads. The Mustang, once the very epitome of an American Muscle Car, is now a Chick Car[sup]TM[/sup]. And Ford wonders why they’re losing billions.

[QUOTE=betenoir]
If you drive a Mustang hot women will search Queens for a drive thru dry cleaners for you.
[/QUOTE]

I just want someone to pay for my dry cleaning. Anything else would run afoul of Mrs. D_Odds.

[QUOTE=D_Odds]
I just want someone to pay for my dry cleaning. Anything else would run afoul of Mrs. D_Odds.
[/QUOTE]

Go for it!

[QUOTE=astro]
Can’t seem to find a video link for this new ad but this is basically how it goes-

Guy and girl are evidently on some sort of a date riding in aFord Mustang.

Cute girl looks lovingly at model handsome guy, and says"I think you’d make great father material"

Guy looks panicked, then revs Mustang, peels out and starts driving like a maniac.

Girl looks panicked at nice guy turned crazy asshole and tells him she wants to be let out.

Girl gets out, and boy says “Whew” and drives away.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I ain’t a guy, and by default that means that I’m not good “father” material, but I LOVE this commercial, based only on your description.

I’m still toying with the idea of buying this, in fact.

Apparently I’m actually a commitment phobic man if indeterminate age that likes muscle cars…

[QUOTE=hajario]
There is a commercial that is being run nearly non-stop during the baseball playoffs. John Mellenkamp is playing a patriotic song in the background and the commercial is a montage of various iconic historical scenes from the 50’s to today interspersed with Ford trucks.
[/QUOTE]

Er, Chevy trucks. Ford trucks were apparently used by the Bolsheviks.

[QUOTE=crazyjoe]
Strangely enough, the VAST majority of mustang purchasers are women betwwen the ages of 18 and 30.
[/QUOTE]

…and they purchase the 6-cylinder version which is like getting a Honda Accord with 2 fewer doors and about the same power. :\

[QUOTE=hajario]
There is a commercial that is being run nearly non-stop during the baseball playoffs. John Mellenkamp is playing a patriotic song in the background and the commercial is a montage of various iconic historical scenes from the 50’s to today interspersed with Ford trucks.
[/QUOTE]

What Dag Otto said. Chevy trucks. Using images intended to evoke their current slogan, “An American Revolution”. Which Chevys are just about the furthest thing from, of course.

Anyway, I hope some marketing guys are reading this thread. The manufacturers and their ad agencies probably spent millions developing those ads, focus-grouped 'em to hell and back, and here we’ve proved conclusively that hardly anyone knows what the hell they were advertising, except some kind of car or truck.

[QUOTE=Sublight]
Still, it’s more coherent than “buy our pickup because it’s somehow linked with Vietnam, Watergate, 9/11, Katrina, Oakland wildfires and the Ali-Liston fight.”
[/QUOTE]

That commercial is pure high fructose corn syrup. I can’t imagine how they made it with a straight face - because I can’t watch it without laughing.

Interestingly, this commercial does not appear the worst ad on TV involving a Ford.

She called him a wussy!

What d’ya expect him to do!?

[QUOTE=Loopydude]
Ye gads. The Mustang, once the very epitome of an American Muscle Car, is now a Chick Car[sup]TM[/sup]. And Ford wonders why they’re losing billions.
[/QUOTE]

Since day 1 more Mustangs were bought by women. The car would never have been given the OK without the 6 cylinder version since that’s what sold the most.

The early versions weren’t muscle cars, they were more accurately pony cars. The emphasis wasn’t on power but sporty. Except for the Cobra or Boss versions, the Mustang wasn’t even considered a muscle car. That evolved over time, but the biggest sellers have always been the 4 or 6 cylinder versions, and they are mostly bought by women.

Interesting. I always thought the 'stang was supposed to be this androgenic speed-demon, at least the one with the best power plant. My dad always coveted the ‘67 Mustang GT convertible with a 390 cu. in., lusted after it, really, and considered it to be the acme of American Fast Cars. I remember being from Maine, having to drive to my folks’ from D.C., and being in abject fear of CT State Troopers, who drove unmarked stock V8 Mustangs and had bionic vision for out-of-state tags. I always associated a “macho” image with them when tricked out.

It may have been ‘68, I can’t remember now. I think Steve McQueen drove one in one of his movies, all that kind of hypermasculine image stuff, and if one drove by my Dad would say things like "Now that’s a friggin’ car right there. You think you know what a car is in those shitboxes you drive around now, but that’s a car. Jesus Christ, what I wouldn’t give for one of those. Did I tell you about the time me and Rennie Arsenault took his out on the Turnpike when they just opened it up, and we made it to Bangor in…"

[QUOTE=Rufus Xavier]
I’m sure quite a few of them have ingested good father material…

:o
[/QUOTE]

Rufus, I just want you to know that I read this and laughed out loud. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Loopydude]
Interesting. I always thought the 'stang was supposed to be this androgenic speed-demon, at least the one with the best power plant. My dad always coveted the ‘67 Mustang GT convertible with a 390 cu. in., lusted after it, really, and considered it to be the acme of American Fast Cars. I remember being from Maine, having to drive to my folks’ from D.C., and being in abject fear of CT State Troopers, who drove unmarked stock V8 Mustangs and had bionic vision for out-of-state tags. I always associated a “macho” image with them when tricked out.
[/QUOTE]

The V8 Stangs are nice respectable American muscle cars. They may not have the best technology but they always had great bang for the buck and good looks.

Actually the 6-cylinders aren’t that bad. I’ve never owned a 6-cylinder but my mother had a '79 6-cylinder. I had a 1990 GT and now have a bone stock 1991 GT.