Assumption that Andre the Giant could lift & flip over a car with 2 people in it. Plausible or not?

I would need a scrap car to try it with, but I can see how it is possible, based on the technique that allows a petit female rider to stand up a heavy motorcycle that has been dropped,

Not only was AtG strong, he was very tall, and very heavy. Those are important.

The key is that you DON’T really try to lift one side of the car. You end up doing so indirectly, but you will fail if you try to do it directly.

For this to work, the car must be on clean dry pavement, and you need the same for your feet, and high traction shoes.

Turn away from the car, squat down and grasp the car under the rocker panel, placing your back against the door.

Move your feet outward till your knees are only slightly bent, giving maximum mechanical advantage. Lift upward with your hands while using your legs to drive your back and shoulders into the car. As the car comes up, take quick baby steps backward to keep it moving while keeping your legs nearly straight.

You are essentially using your body as a wedge. But by angling your body against the car, you are using your weight to help roll the car, and not just muscle power.

The hard part is getting enough traction at the start. This is where being tall and heavy helps. The mass gives your feet more traction, and height allows your shoulders to apply the sideways force higher on the car, giving more leverage. If you are very strong, brut strength helps a lot, as you don’t need such an acute angle.

It also fails if the tires on the far side of the car slide.

If I were to pick a car to try this on, give me a mail jeep or a Suzuki Samuri.

By the way, this technique, applied at the bumper, also works to push a car. Since I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission, I have push started my cars many times. With practice, it is less bother than dragging out the jumper cables.

Video of petit woman righting a motorcycle using technique I described above:

Ok, that was not the video I thought it was. The woman doing the instructing is “Skert” and I saw her do this demo in person a decade ago when her lines were a bit more girlish. Also a shame the guy was spotting on the backside, as some might think he was helping. He was just making sure the bike didn’t fall the other way if the student lost control of it.

I had a Citroen 2CV and lifted/moved the back end single handed once, when someone parked halfway across the back of me.

André wouldn’t need to flip a car by himself, though. He had a posse.

I saw a video of Paul “The Big Show” Wight turning over a jeep. He had to get it rocking first. I would think a vehicle with a high center of gravity would be much easier to flip.

Indeed. Take a look at pictures of someone towing a bus, and look at the angle of their body. If you weigh about the same as them, and can support yourself with your body tilted about that much, then you can tow a bus, too.

It is incredibly unlikely that this story is true, at least in the manner it is related in the OP. Andre was incredibly strong and could easily have flipped over an average car in his younger years, later on he wouldn’t have risked injury from an act like that. However the incident doesn’t match his personality, he was known as a gentle man outside of the wrestling ring. It’s possible that he flipped over an empty car as some kind of prank, but he wouldn’t have put two people in danger by doing it while they were in the car. Unless someone can point to witnesses who are not in the wrestling business I wouldn’t believe this story to be true.

Meng/Haku was the one man you really didn’t want to mess with.

“Wrestler Perry Saturn, when asked who would win a bar fight between several real-life wrestling tough-guys, said, “Tonga. Nobody else would stand a chance. Not even a question. He could kill everyone without blinking and there is nothing anyone could do about it.””

“Jake Roberts: “If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away? He’s mine, right? Well the first thing I’m gonna do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don’t want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me.””

He couldn’t help it if he was the biggest and the strongest. He didn’t even work out.