Astronomy Q: Nebula Filters

As I slowly begin to amass a collection of astronomy tools, I am wondering about the effectiveness of nebula filters. Since nebula filters cost about $150 CDN a pop, I’d like to know I’m getting something for my money.

In one of Terence Dickinson’s books it is claimed that some nebulas and galaxies are vastly improved by the use of a nebula filter. Is this true? Is it worth my $150? I like nebulas and galaxies.

For what it’s worth my total list of equipment includes a 6-inch Dobsonian, f/8, with 25mm, 15mm, and 10mm eyepeices, plus a 2x Barlow and a 25 neutral density moon filter, plus a no. 56 green filter. I have a telrad and every book you can buy.

Should my next investment be a nebula filter?

There are different kinds, broadband & narrow band. Most broadband are light pollution rejection filters…they work best if you live in an area that has a bit of light pollution. They are good for most nebula, but don’t work equally well on everything…galaxies,or all emmission nebula.
Narrowband filters give a “high pass” to a small segment of the visisble spectrum…H-beta and OIII filters are examples. These are more specialized and are for seeing very faint nebula. They can give great contrast gains on certain objects, but are less versatile.
Start with a broadband(also called wideband) and see how much it helps, different makes (Lumicon or Orion) will give different results.
If you become a die-hard deepsky nut, then add something like an OIII.
Personally, I don’t use deepsky filters.

This thing wouldn’t let me edit my post, but I suggest you try before you buy. Go to a star party, I’m sure you’d find someone with one, they would probably let you try it in your scope.

Unless you live in light-polluted skies, I don’t think you need one. How good are your eyepieces???Are they decent quality ?? With a 6" f8 you should have something longer than the 25mm…a 32mm Plossl would be nice.
Yeah, get something like that, before the nebula filter.
Do you have a nice pair of binoculars, atleast 7x50?? They are great for widefield observing.
Do you use that green filter for looking at the planets?? It makes a big differnce on Jupiter.
Colored filters are cheap, maybe add a light blue and an orange…try them. It amazes me how people have $400 eyepieces and $200 neb filters, and I don’t see them trying different colored filters on the planets.
Just my 2cents

DreadLead gave you alot of good advice… I agree with him… and to add in my 2cents as well: if and when you do decide to buy nebula filters, read up on them… many are out there and I admit I have been duped into buying cheaper versions of the expensive ones, to only find little satisfaction. Check out www.space.com and run a filter query in their search engine, and you should find a wealth of information about comparisons and what they can do. Goodluck… and clear skies!