AT&T Data Breach- SSN found on "Dark Web" (Spring 2024)

I got this message today from “Protect My ID” (AAA/ Experion)-- has anyone else gotten a message or messages like this?

ProtectMyID detected a match to your Social Security Number on the dark web.
Found: Social Security Number
Potentially Breached Site: AT&T data
Urgent: We found a match to your Social Security Number on the dark web. While this information doesn’t necessarily mean you are a victim of identity theft, you may be at risk.

I got a similar message from Chase, where I have my credit card (but no bank accounts).

The Chase message said I should call Social Security and tell them my SSN has been compromised. Is that a good idea? What would be the effect of that?

This is me: I bank with one bank (two accounts: checking & savings), have one credit card that I pay off every month, no debt, no social media presence at all, and no internet presence to speak of (except here, I guess). Not a homeowner. My one car is paid off. No family. I do a fair amount of internet shopping, but my credit card # is only saved at amazon (and it’s an amazon Visa card).

How much of a risk am I looking at here? Okay, it’s not zero, but realistically, is this a big deal? Should I do something about this?

If the only thing they’re asking you to do is contact a government agency I can’t see how there’d be a scam involved.

If you do tell them, what will Social Security do about it? Are there standard procedures for this?

I don’t think it’s a scam, particularly because I got the notification from two reputable sources. My question is:

I got the same notice from Chase this Tuesday. It was the day after I filed my taxes on Monday with HR block.

If you do decide to call someone, find the contact information yourself from a source you can trust.

DO NOT use any number or internet link they may have provided.

I got the email notice and then went to my Chase account and saw 3 notices for April 15th.

Do you plan to do anything about it?

I signed up for credit monitoring when I did my taxes, so I thought that may have triggered it. I monitor all my cards and credit reports like every other day if not more. I may put a freeze on my credit since I really do not need anymore.

Me, too. I have alerts on my credit card and bank accounts for virtually all transactions-- charges, deposits, credits, and debits. I don’t get any surprises.

What exactly does it mean to “put a freeze on” your credit?,

Unless the contact link given in the email leads to www.usagov.com or something similar.

I would never follow a link like that. :face_with_monocle:

Found this while googling:

If you know your Social Security information has been compromised, you can request to Block Electronic Access . This is done by calling our National 800 number (Toll Free 1-800-772-1213 or at our TTY number at 1-800-325-0778).

Source: www.ssa.gov

Answering my own question:

What is a credit freeze? When you place a security freeze, creditors cannot access your credit report . This will keep them from approving any new credit account in your name, whether it is fraudulent or legitimate.

Source: https://www.usa.gov › credit-freeze

I believe I will do both of these things. :heavy_check_mark:

Pleeeeease everybody put a freeze on your credit! I have mine frozen with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. They make it easy to do, and easy to lift for short periods if you need to apply for credit.

I’ve had mine frozen since 2017 and have had to lift it, like, 3 times.

You don’t have to pay for this service, either. Some of the companies make you think you do but it’s free.

Yes you have to sign up for an account but if anyone already has ALL of your info and more, it’s the credit bureaus.

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze

If you go to get a loan or sign up for a new credit card or other line of credit just ask them which bureau(s) you need to unfreeze and how long.

This is so helpful-- thanks!

I want sure where to start.

I really can’t imagine caring about stuff like this.

About half of the USA uses (or used) AT&T for something and had their info compromised.

The usual way baddies take advantage of this is the people who do NOT have online access to their accounts set up. So to take SSA as an example, if you don’t already have a login there, some baddy with your info can establish online access with SSA as “you” and do harm. If you already have that online access turned on, the only way they can impersonate you to steal that access is to get your password for SSA.

The people who refuse to set up online access to banking or brokerage or [whatever] in the name of security are paradoxically leaving themselves wide open to the ab initio attack where the first person to establish online access to your money is bad guys, not you.

IMO that’s wacky. You do you, but …

In 50 years of validating my checking account(s) and credit card(s) maybe every 4 or 5 months, I’ve found exactly zero discrepancies. These days the credit card issuers are far more diligent about catching fraud instantly than I could ever be.

The idea of checking a credit score until / unless I was applying for credit is IMO silly. The score just don’t change fast enough to warrant anything else.

I monitor my bank account and credit cards several times a week. Way way back, when I used cheques, I did sometimes try to balance my chequebook stubs against the monthly statement but it was far too boring to bother much.

These days, I can scan through all the items on the various statements and spot discrepancies quite easily. The usual problem comes from places where a credit card charge comes from a different entity to the name on the premises. I buy a coffee from “The Spinning Wheel Cafe”, and the charge comes from “Acme PLC”. These are easy to track down though.

I have only had two real problems in the last twenty years. One was a purchase my wife made that turned out to be a monthly subscription and not the one-off she thought it was, and the other was a duplicate of a purchase I had made online - that is, they charged me twice several weeks apart, for the same item. In both cases, I was able to get the money refunded.

I have no interest in my credit score since I have no intention of borrowing any money. I am far more interested in interest rates on investments.

Coincidentally, I just received an email from AT&T offering, due to the breach, a complimentary year subscription to IdentityWorks.

I have not taken advantage of such offers in the past; does anyone have any comments on the usefulness of IdentityWorks specifically?

Same here; several times I’ve been notified that some company I do business with (most recently, a health insurance provider) had a data breach and offering temporary access to a credit monitoring service. I’ve never taken them up on these offers. No debt aside from a credit card.

This! :arrow_up:

We’ve had all our credit agencies frozen for several years now. On top of the big three, there is also Innovis and ChexSystems (I have no idea what these last two do, but we have them frozen). We’ve only need to unfreeze one of them a couple times, but it was easy.

And while you are working on increasing your financial security, please put MFA on every account that matters to you: Amazon, retirement, banking, email, etc.

“Master of Fine Arts”?? :art: :woman_artist:t4: :framed_picture: