At the state line

A mile + east of Rouses Point, NY is Line Rd, a barely used gravely road dividing VTfrom Canada. I swerved over it like a drunk; I’m in Canada, I’m in the US, I’m in Canada, I’m in the US, I’m in Canada, I’m in the US, etc.

Stopped & took a picture in the middle of the road. Now, when someone accuses me of doing something half-assed I can pull out that picture & reply that not only am I half-assed, but I’m half-assed in two countries!

Grew up in Texarkana. Ordinary trips to church or the grocery store involved crossing from Texas into Arkansas. The post office and train station straddled the line. One of my friends lived in Arkansas but his mailbox (on South State Line Avenue) was in Texas.

Yeah, but I also lived in towns that were in multiple states.

I’d suggest stopping and taking your picture whenever you get the chance to cross into a new state at the new state’s sign. It’s annoying, time consuming, but makes an interesting collage later on.

There is a road which weaves in and out between Navarre (road maintenance paid for by the Navarrese government) and Aragon (road maintenance paid for by the central Spanish government). Nowadays the maintenance is all performed by the Navarrese, but going “now we’re in Aragon!” when the road got worse and “now we’re in Navarre!” when it improved is part of the memories of many locals over age 30. I have no idea why, but our central government seems to enjoy using lack of road maintenance as a political weapon. Now if we could get them to pay what they owe us for that maintenance and other jobs… :stuck_out_tongue:

Funny story: My wife and I played the alphabet game on our honeymoon. We got into a huge fight when she wouldn’t grant me an ‘X’ for a ‘Deer Xing’ sign.

That was 32 years ago. I’m still pissed.
mmm

Bars that straddle state lines

That was YOU! Damn flatlanders invading our bucolic (look it up, chump) idyll.

I swear there are still empty bottles and pools of puked-up potato pierogis near the border… an area we made sure to stay well away from on weekend nights.

Tell me if this brings back any memories:

BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROAD SURFACE! I WON!!!

I’ve commuted to work across a state line for several years – Missouri to Kansas.

There are a few misplaced pieces of states that I have visited – the part of Delaware that is on the New Jersey side of the Delaware River, and a couple of pieces of Illinois that are on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River. There is an entire city (Carter Lake) in Iowa that is on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River

On some rivers, the state line is on one bank, not in the middle. The Ohio River is all Kentucky right up to the dry land on the Ohio bank. Same for the Potomac. Step into the water in Virginia (or onto a pier), and you’re in Maryland.

There are almost no Arkansas-born residents of Texarkana, Arkansas – the only maternity hospital is on the Texas side.

Your description of the Brat Stop (in Kenosha circa 1981) and its surroundings sounds spot-on. yeah, that musta been me

Ah yes, the license plate game. It’s gotten harder in the past few years it seems to me. A lot of states have caught on to the fact that if you have 174 different special plates you can charge another $50 or so for them and people will pay it.

Sometimes strange things happen. A couple of years ago we were leaving Phoenix because it had finally warmed up at home. We decided to play and I looked at the first two cars we saw and they were from Connecticut and Delaware.

We were in Hawaii this last November and Ms Hook commentated that the license plate game wouldn’t be much fun there. A couple of minutes later we saw a truck from Alaska.

State laws often creaate a market circus at the border. Growing up in Wisconsin, where it was illegal in the 1950s to sell colored oleo-margarine. So on the Illinois state line, there were shops with last-chance signis selling colored oleo to Wisconsinites driving home.

Hudson and Hurley Wisconsin were state line towns up north with wild-west type saloons and taverns up against the state line, because of Wisconsin’s lower drinking age and more forgiving sales hours… Hurley was particularly notorious, being right across he line from a heavy-drinking mining town in Michigan, and once boasted 75 bars.

The Mississippi River bridges had Illinois signs on them warning people coming from Missouri of the fine for carrying cigarettes into Illinois from Missouri, where the tax was much lower.

That’s a very recent development, so the statement would only apply to those under 23 or so. St. Michael’s moved from (two blocks into Arkansas) to the new building out on I-30 about 1993. Lots of us who grew up on the Texas side are stuck with passports saying Arkansas because we were born at St. Michael’s before it moved.

Last week I stopped for gas at a station near Barcelona. There was a pickup truck there with Spain plates mounted over Montana ones :slight_smile: (ours are wider and shorter, you could see the top and bottom of the American plates easily)