Athiest Dopers would you be mad if your kid found God?

I am mostly with Eve. To hell with having kids. What a fine way that would be to ruin my life.

I am pretty much disappointed with anyone who falls for religion of any flavor. I consider it a social disease, a weakness, and I look forward to the day when humanity overcomes it… though I am sure I won’t live to see it.

Well, we have one thing in common, because “close minded” is likely a phrase I would bring to bear if one of my kids took up religion. :slight_smile:

To answer the original post, if this happened with one of my kids, I don’t believe I would be “mad,” but disappointed and disturbed definitely come to mind. In my opinion, this shouldn’t come as a shock or be difficult to understand for the believers reading this. It is the exact same disturbed feeling that believing parents have when their kids reject all that they hold as good and right.

All thoughtful individuals have well-formed positions on many important topics. It simply hurts when one of our very own offspring doesn’t see eye-to-eye with us. However, in the end, regardless of the pain, I could deal with it if one of my children took a different course on a major life issue.

Well, unless they start pulling for Duke basketball. Then the crap will hit the fan. :slight_smile:

Jammer

As I said, that is only one of the many, many many reasons I don’t have kids. I don’t really like kids, I have never wanted to have one, I can’t afford them, I don’t think I’d be a good mother–really, “not having them turn out like me” is, like, number ten on the list.

Now, I think that is unfairly… um, close minded. Religion does not need to be a “I’m right everyone else is wrong God rules you all suck” occasion, though certain religions do bend to that extent.

Religion is a very wide field with very, very diverse branches. For many people, it is a rewarding experience in self discovery and love. For many others, it is a worthwhile community outreach. For most, it is an enlightening experience.

Then there are the kind who use it as a weapon to fight against what they believe. Ironically, atheism can be (and frequently is) used in a similar manner - the close mindedness.

Really, the reason I posted such a harsh reply was to see how that poster would respond to a harsh critique, as s/he should expect from their hypothetically religious child. Still waiting.

Don’t have kids, and I’m more of an agnostic rather than hard athiest, so everybody can decide if they want to skip right over my comments

I wouldn’t have any qualms with my kids joining any faith, so long as they remember to think for themselves. One of the things I dislike about my experience with organized religion (and politics for that matter) is that a person is too often told what to think about a topic, usually via a one-sided monologue without encouraging an individual to go out and get corroborating evidence and formulate their own opinion of the topic. (We’ll see how good I can maintain that philosophy once I’m actually a parent—If I’m successful, my kids will challenge everything I try to tell them.) :smack:

Without sucking up to the Board to shamelessly, that’s one of the reasons I belong to the Straight Dope Congregation. A lot of ponderables get thrown around here, and with the diversity of viewpoints and the strength of the debating powers of many members, the process really uncovers all the aspects that one should consider (so long as you’re willing to listen).

Can I get an Amen?

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest- we all come to beliefs and opinions on our own, and those beliefs and opinions tend to make us who we are. I kind of see it as getting mad at my kids because his favorite color is red, and mine is green.

Now, I would tend to get upset if he/she became the activist type that was outspoken and verbally opposed to my opinions and beliefs that I have gained through experience. Different issue though.

Sounds like you speak from experience.

Love

You can have it all, I belong to no religion, am not an atheist.

Just a lot of love, knowledge of a higher intelligence that cares for me, and the knowledge I am eternal. feels great, no fear.

Love

People need their religion, I doubt it will cease anytime soon.

Unless you are omnipotent, you may need a little help some day. Don’t discount everything.

I know most atheists have had bad experiences with religion, so have I, but don’t let it color your judgement of religious people. Many are kind, considerate, and compassionate. I have known a few that would give a stranger the shirt off their back.
Love

Understood, and that’s why I tried to make a distinction between “disappointed but keeping the feelings low-key around the kid” and “forbidding them to go to church or otherwise being a pain in the ass.”

I have listened to many non-religious people over the years say that they want their kid to be open to all things and to make up their mind, but when pressed, these people will admit that yes, they’d be pretty upset if that kid chose religion. Not that I’m saying there’s anything wrong with that—I think it’s human nature to want your kid to at least sort of see eye-to-eye with you. I know I couldn’t help but feel deeply disappointed if my kid hated Classical music, for instance, since it’s a big deal to me. But I wouldn’t—couldn’t—give them “grief” about it, if for no other reason than it wouldn’t do any good (and it would be hypocritical).

Oh, definitely! Like I said, it’s human nature. And I agree, some sects or flavors of religion are apt to make someone react more negatively than others.

I guess I’m curious about the parents mentioned in the OP: I wonder if they didn’t like people giving them “grief” about being atheist, while they are simultaniously giving their kid grief. I think parents on both sides of the table can have a bit of a disconnect there. (Not that I’m accusing anyone on this thread of that.)

It might be that his parents didn’t anticipate that the youth group would be prostelytizing. When I was a kid, I went to many church events which mainly involved crafts and games and whatnot-- not “preaching” or indoctrination. I wonder if this kid’s parents thought that this group was somewhat like that. When asked, the kid could have described it as just hanging out with friends and having fun, so they had no idea he was getting a dose of the Gospel.

"Athiest Dopers would you be mad if your kid found God?"

No I would not be mad. In fact, I would be thrilled! And I think every other Atheist would be too.

If my kid found God that would mean that there actually was a God (If by “found” you mean that my child discovered that there actually is such a thing as God and he could prove it). Then the mystery would be over and we could all rejoice together in Holy Harmony!

Sadly, I doubt my kid or anyone else will discover that there actually is a God becuase it’s all a bunch or serious-silliness designed to keep humans content.

So if by saying “found God” you mean “started buying into the fairy tale”; then no, I would be rather disappointed. Still, finding God would be quite a bit better than finding religion.

But some people are independent of religion and have their own beliefs. Some people are pantheists-- they believe God is All That Exists; others believe God is the moon or the earth or the sky. If my kid or anyone else believes that, at least it’s fairly harmless–it doen’t generally lead to the kind of murder and misery that most organized religion does.

Now If he “got religion” I’d have to have a serious talk with him. Still, unless the cult were particulary dangerous, I would never insist that he or anyone else believe anything other than what they choose to believe–made-up-nonsense or not.

CAVEAT-- 1) I have no children. 2) I actually may be a pantheist myself but I consider that almost exactly equal to atheism.

In the name of all religions… please stop…

I’d be disappointed. I hope I can raise my kids to be as skeptical as I am. I’d also be disappointed if my kid started taking astrology seriously, or voting conservative, etc. I’d want my kid to be like me. Who doesn’t? I wouldn’t try and force them, but I would try and make a case for my non-beliefs.

Why does being skeptical == atheism? Are you implying that anyone who follows any religion is a mindless sheep with no free will?

Yeah! Name me one religion that uses a shepherd & flock metaphor. :smiley:

Probably for the company, the activities, and maybe the parents didn’t mind exposing their kid to different worldviews, or didn’t think the kid would be converted.

[/quote]
and secondly he now has something added to his life which is a belief system that will help him to do right and give him some hope…what could be bad about that? I would understand a little better if they had already had a religion but they didn’t so the whole thing doesn’t make sense to me.

Any Athiest parents out there that would be mad if your child started following a religion or went up to an altar call at a church?
[/QUOTE]

From the way your OP was worded, I suspect that you think atheists are somehow “nihilistic” and devoid of hope, or have difficulty finding justification for ethics in the absence of some higher intelligence. I can’t speak for all atheists, but I am operating from a completely different set of assumptions than theistic people. I am quite ethical, and I am quite happy with my life and my place in the universe, and I do not need the presence of a higher intelligence to have “hope” or “meaning” in my life.

Anyway, about your question: why should the reaction of an atheist be any different from that of a theist? I think most parents would be less than enthusiastic if their child’s religious beliefs differ from what they were taught, if the parents feel strongly about religion.

I would be mostly puzzled if my kids turned out religious, and would want an explanation and a discussion about it, but I would never browbeat or ridicule or argue with them, just as I don’t browbeat or ridicule or argue with my parents and sisters. I would just have to live with it, I guess.

I have to admit, I’d be somewhat disappointed if I had a kid who was anything other than a Jewish atheist, like his old man.

I’d be quite severely disappointed if he showed a casual attitude toward critical thinking. Being “called to accept Christ” would be pretty good sign.

I’ve got nothing against Jesus personally, but a whooooole lotta dumb things have been done in his name.

I’d be slightly upset, if only that meant my attempts at teaching him to be an intelligent, rational, critical thinker has failed.

But mad? That’s for deliberate, vindictive acts, and I don’t think “finding God” qualifies as such.

My answer here depends a lot on whether my kid found the God that wants his followers to be kind and loving and tolerant and humble, or the God that wants him to be a smug, self-righteous prick.