Attention Madison, WI Dopers (and other music fans) LONG

This thread is specifically geared towards Madison, WI area dopers, but all are free to contribute or chime in, of course. I’m not sure exactly how many Madtown dopers we have, but offhand I can think of Otto and Boyo Jim– I’m sure there are quite a few more.

I am the co-organizer of an event called the MAMAs (Madison Area Music Awards). This event has a two fold purpose – to recognize the efforts of Madison/Dane County musicians in all genres and styles of music, and to donate money for music education programs in the Madison Metropolitan School District. MAMA, Inc is the parent company I started, and it is a 501 ( c) ( 3 ) corporation. (Non US Dopers – that is a designation given by the IRS for certified non-profit organizations)

I would specifically like to invite any and all dopers to check out the event, and heck, if the cause tugs at the heartstrings enough, to make a contribution. (Mods – I am NOT actively soliciting contributions, but hey, it’s a worthy cause….)

The event itself takes place next Sunday, at the Orpheum Theatre on State Street. For full information on the event, the cause, the nominees and the award categories, check out our website, www.madisonareamusicawards.com . The Orpheum is a stunning historic theatre in downtown Madison, with a capacity of 1800 people.

The event is being produced for television for later re-broadcast, and promises to be stunning. John Urban, of Triple M Radio and UPN-14’s ‘Urban Theatre’ is hosting the event. The event starts with a red carpet entry at 5:30 at the Orpheum, and the VIP party (replete with tons o’ free beer, drinks and munchies, courtesy of Red bull, Budweiser, Red Hook and Big Mikes); the main event gets underway at 7:30.

Starting off the show will be a performance by Mama Digdown’s Brass Band. The house band for the night is Madison wunderkind The Gomers, performing as the Your MAMA Orchestra. Featured acts throughout the evening include Rockers The German Art Students, Singer Songwriter Amelia Royko, Country act Madison County, Latin sensations Prole, Hip-Hop by The Crest and a very special performance by West High Schools Jazz West program – to showcase what the kids can really do if given the opportunity to learn and experience music.

In addition, we will awarding the first annual Michael St. John Lifetime Achievement Award to the one and only Clyde Stubblefield. (For those not in the know, he’s ‘The Original Funky Drummer’ – played behind James Brown for several decades and also with many other funk/r&b/motown legends. He’s also quite the gentleman, and one hell of a nice guy.)

We will also be giving awards in the following categories: Best Album and Best Artist in the following genres: Rock, Blues, Country, Metal, R&B, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Bluegrass, Punk, Acoustic, Classical, Electronic, Funk & Other. In addition, we are giving out several non-genre based awards, including Best Male Vocalist, Best Female Vocalist, Best Ensemble Vocals, Best New Artist, Best Underage Artist and a lot more.

So, Madison dopers! Come on out, I guarantee one heck of a show! Also, if you’re interested, I do have several volunteer slots still available.

Non-Madison dopers – thanks for reading this far! It is a great cause, and if you believe that arts funding has been cut far too drastically, please check out our website. On our links page, we list organizations that provide the same support for music and arts programs on a national level.

And, yes, we do accept donations, no matter how small or large. And yes, they are tax-deductible.

Thanks for bearing with me, and I hope to see you guys at the show!

Oh yes, following the MAMAs we will be having a post show party at the Orpheum Stage Door (adjacent to the theatre) called the PAPAs (People Against Popular Awards Shows) featuring more free beer and performances by Shotdown and The New Recruits. Free admission with a MAMA ticket.

If anyone has any questions, you may post or email me - address is in my profile.
Cheers!