Audiophiles: HELP!

As age has crept upon me (65yrs) I have some dead spots in my perception of audio on my devices, predominantly at high frequencies.
Is there an app., program, or call it what you will… that will “push” specific frequencies for people like me (semi-deaf), that can be saved to MP3 format, to aid in a return to youthful audio clarity?

I’m a bit unclear on what you’re asking.

My first inclination is that you’re really looking for an equalizer - something you can use to adjust the sound levels for different frequencies (bass, mid, and treble).

But then you’ve asked for something that you can save as an MP3. So that got me confused - if you have a file saved as an MP3, how will that help you when listening to OTHER MP3s (music, audiobooks, etc.)?

I think you want some sort of equalizer, though. Are we talking about PC? Mac? Android? iOS?

an equalizer would do that for you (lots of players have those built in; sofware sometimes has it built in or as a plug-in) but you’d probably want to have an audiogram done to see what frequencies you need help with.

A graphic or parametric equalizer leaps to mind.

The tricky bit is getting either of these into your audio chain. It’s going to depend a lot on what equipment you already have.

An equalizer where you can goose certain frequencies and minimize others is the only thing that can help (I do not think a hearing aid is what you want here but happy to hear if I am wrong about that…my sense is hearing aids have crap fidelity for things like music).

If your senses are dulled there is not much to be done than to over-emphasize those frequencies so it all sounds normal to you.

Just realize others my not like your equalizer changes so consider keeping another setting for when you have guests with “normal” hearing.

If you want to save pre-equalized files, Audacity is probably your best friend. It’s a LOT of work, but doable. My ears now have a frequency limit of about 15KHz. That’s the extra little zing from cymbals. The equalizer on the tablet I’m typing this on has an equalizer with a slider at 16KHz. Using that is much easier than reencoding all my audio files. Come to think of it, reencoding may not even be possible for some of the DRMed stuff.

OK for clarification, let’s say I have a “deaf zone” between 15-17 KHz. Is there anything I can use to modify existing MP-3’s to amplify this frequency range for my clarity, and then save it to a new MP-3 file for future use?

You will not modify the MP3. I suppose you could but why would you? You’d have to do this for every song you’d want to listen to.

Just get an equalizer, set it and forget it. It will work on anything you play.

Remember, all you can do is modify the original recording. Once that recording was made all you can do is tweak it. There will always be some things you just can’t help (as anyone with a good audio setup knows poorly mastered recordings suck and really jump out at you on good equipment…you only have the original to work with and if it sucks you don’t have many options to make it sound good).

Point taken.
So, an equalizer is your solution?

Not just my solution…I think it is the only solution.

Modifying the original would really amount to nothing more that running it through an equalizer.

Unless you can get the people who made the music to re-master it to your specs an equalizer is your only choice.

Not ideal but better than nothing.

The equalizer suggestion is fine.

But I’m not sure why anyone thinks it’s difficult to adjust the frequencies in multiple MP3 files using Audacity (or many other similar programs). Audacity has a batch mode where you can select multiple audio files and run them through a “chain” of processes (adjust equalization, increase volume, convert to another format, etc.) You can also save the configuration so you can return to it without having to manually adjust equalization each time. Once you decide on the equalization you prefer, it’s pretty simple to load a bunch of audio files and let it run. The hardest part is deciding on the initial adjustments.

FWIW I am in my 50’s now and heading down this road so I sympathize (it is all a part of growing old unfortunately).

I am (probably) not as bad hearing as you are. I got a really good pair of headphones which can really do well when delivering music.

You might consider a good pair of cans (headphones) if you really love listening to music. A good pair is not cheap but they are pretty great (I love mine…more than I wanted to spend but last a long time). A good pair will be able to do justice to those equalizer tweaks.

How is that different than an equalizer running while you listen?

How is that different than an equalizer running while you listen?

Mostly because you just mentioned three possible things someone might have to do on a piece of software that they might have never even heard of, let alone have any experience with. And then they have to save the configuration and load a bunch of audio files? And you have to decide on the initial adjustments, which is much easier to do with an equalizer where you can drag sliders up and down to achieve instant results.

Plus then if your hearing changes, you have to modify every single MP3 again instead of just adjusting one or two sliders on an equalizer.

Only trouble with those is that even the high end ones don’t come with a pair of 14 inch woofers.
They roll off pretty bad below 50Hz.

An equalizer in hard- or soft-ware lets you adjust frequency ranges as needed. But treble-boosting room music to accommodate your personal frequency-response loss may not sit well with others in your household, if any. My old hearing loss was pretty noticeable - I blame amplified music and field artillery - and my new, rather pricey hearing aids make a tremendous difference. The smartphone app lets me adjust treble pretty well. I’m listening to Mozart sonatas on a small equalized bookshelf system at this very moment and it sounds like a piano in the room.

It’s different because it modifies the media to achieve the desired effect, as specified in the original question. It also has the practical benefit that the resulting files can be played back anywhere, not just where an equalizer is available.

While It’s perfectly reasonable to offer alternatives to what the OP asked how to do, it’s not cricket to tell him that the alternatives are the only option when that’s not the case.

And for what it’s worth, if I had to do this to a bunch of files, I’d probably use ffmpeg. And yearofglad thought Audacity was too much trouble!

There are headphones and apps that analyze the hearing in each of your ears and adjusts the sound accordingly.

I am familiar with the Even Earprint feature that is available on the Napster app. It takes a couple of minutes to set up and it does make a difference. I think Napster still does free trials, so that’s an option to try.

They also appear to have headphones, I have not tried these.

This is interesting to listen to with headphones. Either I have headphones that suck, or I have some frequencies that I have a bit of deafness to. More likely the latter. But I can’t hear anything above 12KHz.

It occurred to me after I posted that another advantage of using a software filter in Audacity, ffmpeg, or whatever you elect to use is that you can really indulge your inner Audiophile and define as many different bands for tweaking as you like instead of being limited to the bands offered by your equalizer.

I can’t really see myself going overboard with that, and would likely just use whatever equalizer was available on playback like Whack-a-Mole suggested, but I don’t really consider myself an Audiophile either.