Augh!! Help!!

OK, here’s the deal. Tell your parents that you know exactly when you’ll get the book. I know when I’m getting mine. It will arrive at your friend’s house before 5:00 PM on the 16th of July. Chapters has a deal with Canada Post for “Day of Publication Delivery”. The books are already in their Mississauga warehouse. If ordered online, it will arrive that day. Chapters faces stiff fines (aprox 25,000.00 CAD per occurence) if a book gets out early. Thus, the book will arrive on publication date so Chapters online doesn’t undercut it’s own stores. Why order it online if you won’t get it the day of? Your friend has probably already recieved an email similar to the following

Good luck, and remember if you return a book ordered from the website to a store, you can get a gift card back, or credit to your online account.

If you want any more suggestions, post away, or drop me an email.

MC

inkleberry, I’ve got enough money for the book, so I don’t have to worry about that. My friend is still looking for someone to sell the book to. She’s got a question about returning her book, so I told her I’d ask the Dopers. Her order was over $39, so free shipping was guaranateed. So, if she returns one book, will she have to pay a return shipping fee? Or will it be deducted from the refund total? Or will it just be ignored because the original order had no shipping fees attached to it? Does anyone know?

Yeah, you really should have thought things out a little more before being born to such major loons.

This is the impression I’m getting of how things happened from reading the thread:

dare_devil’s parents: “dare_devil, you’re not allowed to buy anything online.”
dare_devil: “Okay.”
(days, weeks, or months later)
dare_devil’s friend: “I think my dad will let me use his credit card to order a copy of the next Harry Potter book. I can get one for you, too, if you’ll pay me back.”
dare_devil: “Hooray! Okay!”
dare_devil’s friend: “Dad, can I use your credit card to order copies of the next Harry Potter book online for me and dare_devil?”
dare_devil’s friend’s dad: “Sure, honey! Just pay me back for them.”
(a little later)
dare_devil: “My friend is ordering 2 copies of the next Harry Potter book online, and I’m going to pay her back for them.”
dare_devil’s parents: "AUGH OMGWTFBBQ YOU ARE A HORRIBLE AND DISOBEDIENT IRRESPONSIBLE CHILD AND MUST BE PUNISHED!!!
… so is that right? Am I missing something?

I must be missing something.

You’re not missing anything, darling. It’s my parents who are missing something, you know, whispers upstairs, if you know what I mean.

Your parents are nuts, dude, and you have my sympathies.

My parents are compulsive control freaks. Which is why I can’t wait to turn 18 and get the hell out of here. I love my parents, but…this is so silly and stupid…

Some parents have no sense of proportion when it comes to the “crimes” of their children. On the other side of the coin, I have a co-worker whose daughter unquestionably committed a major felony crime, and she complains about how “unfair” her punishment is. :rolleyes:

I agree with elfbabe; it’s all your fault for being born to parents who can’t overlook your evildoing ways. Perhaps you could just sell your claim to the book to a third party, and then purchase it from said third party when it arrives? (Well, it doesn’t make any less sense than the original complaint.)

As for school, I recommend bringing Twain’s Letters From The Earth; that’ll confound 'em. (Just, for Og’s sake, don’t order it off of Amazon!)

Stranger

For Og’s sakes, I admit it was my fault!! I’m sorry!! How was I supposed to know that my parents were complete loons?! I thought they were just a nice Korean couple who wanted a child to make their marriage work! And I’m hurt. Do you think I’m stupid enough to make the same mistake twice?! [Napoleon Dynamite]Gosh![/Napoleon Dynamite]

Answered via email, but the gist of it is, no restocking fee, nothing will be deducted. The book does need to be returned to a store, though. If you send it back to the distribution centre, they will charge you. I’ve ordered two books in the past to get free shipping, then returned one in store and have recieved full credit for the return. YMMV by store, though. Also not advocating that practice to save money - I just misordered - free advice, don’t shop online after a night out with friends. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks so much! So, my friend can just say she’d like to return the book to the store, not the distribution centre, and they won’t charge a shipping fee? Oh, goody! Anyways, it’s like midnight where I am, so I’m off to bed. Thanks!

If I may ask, why are you going to a fundie school if you and your parents are not fundies?

Do you have any siblings or are you The Chosen One?

No, it’s because it’s a private school and my parents don’t like public schools. It’s also really close to my house.

Wow, parents who get upset because the child orders a (gasp) book!

Do they realize just how lucky they are? My jaw dropped when I read the OP. Sure hope you are able to get things worked out. How much longer before you turn 18? Are you going to college when the time comes?

Don’t worry, I got everything worked out. And it’s another two and a half years until I turn 18. By then, hopefully, I’ll be at the University of Toronto in my dorm room with an actual roommate.

Clearly, you’ve never seen the film Lexicon Madness!!, which depicts literature-addicted bookworms as crazed, maniacal adolescents who will do anything for their next “page”. The tale revolves around Mae and Jack, accomplices in the distribution of books, who manage to entice the local high school kids to stop by Mae’s apartment to read novels. The lives of all who are involved with this menace are inevitably shattered. One youngster becomes so addicted to the killer words that a judge orders him to be committed for life to a mental hospital!

But fears about Harry Potter? That’s kind of weak, really. I’m not sure why parents (even fundies) are up in arms when the likes of Mark Twain, Roald Dahl, Ambrose Bierce, and Judy Blume remain intact and in reach of innocent, vulnerable children. Still, I suppose that Rowling could be considered a “gateway book” into the dark, dangerous underbelly of subversive literature. Better to nip this thing in the bud early. Chain your children down in front of the teevee for Og’s sake.

But seriously, dare_devil007_, might I recommend to you Matilda, (once you’re past the Harry Potter debacle, of course). I suspect you’d get a real kick out of it.

Stranger

Hee hee! Coming from a very similar background I am surprised and delighted to read your reactions to controlling parents! What a sweet girl you are. :slight_smile:

I read Matilda and enjoyed it immensely. But, my parents aren’t incompetent fools like Matilda’s parents are…in fact, they’re kind of the opposite. It’s just that they want my brother and me to do everything they say because they think it’s for the best. Well, I suppose it is, but they got mad at me for ordering a book online with my friend, whose father gave her permission to do so. It’s one of those things where you go, “What’s the big deal?!” But, it’s not like they get this mad over something so trivial all the time. Thank Og for that…

Bottom line is, though, you still didn’t order the book online. You are buying the book from your friend, or arguably, your friends dad. Are you not allowed to buy a book at the bookstore if they have computer inventory control? Chain bookstores order their stock gasp via a network. Even most libraries order online these days. I am guessing 90+% of all books are ordered online at some point in their lives. Maybe your parents are spies imbedded with the RCMP to extract secret Canadian policing techniques and they are afraid you will blow their cover.