Augusto Pinochet dead.

[QUOTE=Paul in Saudi]
Left-wing head cases praise Castro for advances in education and whatnot, but turn a blind eye to his mercenaries in Africa, his prisons, his quarantine of AIDS people.

Perhaps we need to go back to our basic values. The people of Cuba and Chile ought to have been allowed to find their own destinies by themselves, without the guidance of strong men. Imperfect as it is, democracy would have been better for both nations.
[/QUOTE]

Cuba certainly has problems. But the fact is that Castro’s Cuba has a very successful educational system and their doctors are known to be some of the best in the world. People with HIV/AIDS get very good care there and it is simplistic to call their programme “quarantine.” Cuba is one of the only places in the world that has apparently managed to nip the epidemic in the bud.

And many Cuban people are fiercely loyal to Castro. I don’t think democracy is the definite answer for every country in the world.

Which people do you think are unfit to govern themselves? Why?

[QUOTE=Paul in Saudi]
Which people do you think are unfit to govern themselves? Why?
[/QUOTE]

I hear women are not allowed to drive or to travel without chaperones or permission from a male family member in Saudi Arabia. Sorry for the hijack.

I generally support democracy. But many people suffer and fall through the cracks in our system; equality is mostly a myth. And I’m not sure anyone can compare the US favorably to Cuba when it comes to supporting evil dictators, mercenaries and genocide in other parts of the world.

Oh, and Paul, you mentioned prisons. We imprison more people in the US than does any other country in the world. And then we can talk about the prisons we have overseas in which there are no trials and inmates are regularly tortured.

I’m just sayin.

So I’m guessing that you will be in Group B when Fidel bites the big cigar?

(In others news, I was talking about this with my Spanish professor. I mentioned the huge number of people killed by Fidel and Pinochet. She pointed out that W has killed many people too. I replied W was different. He killed people without improving the economy or healthcare. I make myself laugh.)

[QUOTE=Rayne Man]
Margaret Thatcher is said to be “greatly saddened” by his death and will be sending “deepest condolences” to Gen Pinochet’s widow and family.

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to this?

[QUOTE=ivylass]
Do you have a link to this?
[/QUOTE]

Here you are :- Independent

and BBC

Thanks.

One thing to be said for Pinochet: His performance was the only thing worthwhile in Die Hard 2!

What?

[QUOTE=Paul in Saudi]
So I’m guessing that you will be in Group B when Fidel bites the big cigar?

(In others news, I was talking about this with my Spanish professor. I mentioned the huge number of people killed by Fidel and Pinochet. She pointed out that W has killed many people too. I replied W was different. He killed people without improving the economy or healthcare. I make myself laugh.)
[/QUOTE]

I’m not a Castro supporter. I’m just saying people have many different views of him and of Cuba and it’s not a simple topic. I certainly wouldn’t say that I know what is best for Cuba. And I think the US, at least, oughta get out of the business of deciding what form of government is best for other regions of the world. There are a lot of more compassionate ways we could assist less fortunate parts of the world.

Did he get to be a real boy in the end?

[QUOTE=Mangetout]
Did he get to be a real boy in the end?
[/QUOTE]

I just loved that. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Mangetout]
Did he get to be a real boy in the end?
[/QUOTE]

No, that was Mark Foley.

Oh, wait…“get to be…”

Never mind!