Australia - not nearly that deadly, why not come visit?

That sounds good till unless of course you’re one of the two that is mauled :slight_smile:

I survivied my two trips to Oz with only a stubbed toe and a minor sunburn. The only wildlife I had issues with were the flies. Even with one of those hat/net things those little buggers can drive you crazy.

But how many clueless tourists drove their rental cars into the Outback and were never heard from again? :wink:

It’s mid-winter on my planet, plus there are Black Widow spiders all around the house anyway, so those funnel-web spiders only mildly terrify me.

Soon’s I get the money saved, I’m there!

I would really (really) like to travel to Australia someday, perhaps long-term. It’s definitely at the top of my list of places to visit. I’ll admit part of it is for this very reason. Perhaps this is due to the bias of the US media, but it seems like Australia is just hanging out in its own little part of the world. No underwear bombers. No conservatives screaming against UHC in one breath while advocating Medicare in the next. You get the idea.

Well,

There was that American? dufus about 10 years ago that tried to bicycle across the desert outback (not even staying on the main paved road). Amazingly, they found him like a month or two later and way much thinner and tanner.

youtube drop bear

Did you leave at night and make Hay while the sun shines?

(Sorry. So sorry.)

I’m sorry, but I refuse to go to a place where even the trees are out to get you.

Seriously, fuck that shit.

No, we just have the Mad Monk, Tony Abbot. <spit>

But we do have UHC, which is nice. I’m neverever going back to the US to live. :slight_smile:

Oi! Bruce! Put down that shark mate, ye’ll ruin yer tea! Yer mum will be madder than a cut snake if yer do that! :smiley:

Sorry, New Zealand is beautiful, small enough to take in on a vacation, has no plants, animals or insects that wish to see me dead, and there are, reportedly, hobbits around. If I ever have the money, that’s where I’m going.

My luck, I’ll have a layover in Australia and every funnel web in the country will gravitate toward me.

Australia and New Zealand are by far my most favourite countries in the whole world. And throughout the two months I was there I didn’t see one creepy crawly. Apart from the lemon flavoured ant I ate. Yum :slight_smile:

I’ve lived in Australia for ten years, and I haven’t even seen a deadly creature anywhere near me.

I have seen absurdly large insects and spiders the likes of which make my head spin, but those were not dangerous. And kangaroos and cockatoos and echidnas are all over the place, too, but again they’re pretty much harmless.

I’m kind of disappointed that I have yet to see a snake of any kind, even though I’ve stamped around in a lot of countryside spots where they supposedly hang out.

I lived in Australia for about a year, it was an interesting year and good place to visit, especially as Canadian, although nearly everyone thought I was Irish for some reason.

Going back in about a week as well for a short two week visit. I would consider moving there but it seems rather expensive to get a Permanent Residency then citizenship unless one gets married.

Anyone know of an easy and reasonably cheap way to do it besides being married?

We have four of the deadly snake species in the bush which surrounds our house. We had a tiger snake the back porch a few days ago. That shook me up a bit. We see a few each year. But the fact is that everyone in this semi-rural area has snakes galore around their houses and I have never heard of anyone dying, and rarely even being bitten. A few sensible precautions and you are pretty safe. Our spiders haven’t killed anyone for decades now. There is plenty of time to get to anti-venom on the very rare occasion someone gets bitten.

This should be their new tourism campaign. “As long as you are visiting beautiful New Zealand, you may as well come visit us.”

Or “Our spiders haven’t killed anyone for decades now!”

I thought it was pretty funny that at the top of the article it just said ‘maulings’ but down near the bottom you find out they actually were killed, and presumably eaten. The term was ‘taken’ by a croc.

Judging from the number of kangaroo carcasses along the road, 'roos represent a very real danger to unwary drivers.