Authors who can do no wrong

Definitely a different Christopher Moore. The one I know of is a Canadian who lives here in Bangkok and has penned a series of detective stories featuring American private eye Vincent Calvino. Extremely juvenile work, but he’s a minor celebrity among the expat community. Does not hold a candle to John Burdett.

Me too. His non M&C stuff is really different, but still tremendous.

I have tremendously enjoyed every single thing I’ve read by Tom Wolfe. He’s definitely my #1 favorite author. There are some really scathing reviews of his newer stuff (specifically I Am Charlotte Simmons) but I thought that book was amazing and just as good as all of his other writing. I’m hoping he comes out with a new novel soon.

He wrote a smut book? Seriously?

At any rate, if you want Sung in Blood, it is now available in hardback for $16.29 from Amazon. Heck of a lot cheaper than the $300 or $400 the limited edition is going for.

I’d like to see more in the Starfishers’ universe, and I rather wish he’d write another Garrett book, although I don’t know where he’d go with it. He’s starting to run out of metals to name them for. Maybe something else in the Dragon Never Sleeps universe. I’m a bit iffy on his Instrumentalities of the Night series, though, which takes him off my “never fail” list.

Isaac Asimov: I have 12 shelf-feet of Asimov books (I haven’t counted lately, but that’s well over 100), and I’ve enjoyed every single one of them, including the science fiction, straight science, fantasy, mystery, math, and even the juveniles.

Tony Hillerman: Absolutely consistent. I even read (and reread) his book about writing mysteries and loved it.

Tom Clancy: This will be a controversial one, I’m sure, but I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read that Clancy actually wrote himself. The stuff that other people write and slap his name on (e.g., Rainbow Six) was drek.

J.A. Jance: Haven’t started her third series yet, but I’ve enjoyed every book in the first two series.

Tanya Huff: Well, she did one or two that were only okay, but she hasn’t written anything bad that I know of.

Spider Robinson – absolutely yes. Larry Niven – not if you count collaborations. Building Harlequin’s Moon (with Brenda Cooper) was awful. My book group read it and we all unanimously disliked it.

I’ve enjoyed everything from Lois McMaster Bujold.

Hooray! I’m not alone!

Christopher Moore’s Fluke is about humpback whales – the title refers to the whale’s tail. The main character is a marine biologist in Hawaii who has spent his whole life trying to figure out why humpback whales sing, and what their songs mean. And then strange things begin to happen …

It’s basically the only book of Moore’s that I would consider “humorous science fiction” rather than “humorous supernatural fantasy.” Kinda reminds me of something Douglas Adams would have done.

No reincarnation, though, so fortunately it’s got nothing to do with the stinker you read by the same name.

And BBC is reporting that Fraser just died at age 82. :frowning:

Thread on it here in Cafe Society.

Yeah, he did. It’s called The Swap Academy, written under the pseudonym Greg Stevens. It was one of those truck stop books that were popular in the 70s. I think he’s even said that he no longer has a copy of it so I don’t feel too bad that it’s one of the few gaps in my set.

Yeah and one of these days I’ll pick it up, but I really want the limited edition. I’ve already read it (friend has it), so no pressure other than completing the collection. I checked again after posting the other day and I’m missing a total of four items from his bibliography:

1. The Archon 7 program book (1983)
  2. The Balticon 31 program book (1997) - although I have a reprint of the story.
  3. Sung in Blood - in the original.
  4. The aforementioned Swap Academy.

Other than that, I have everything. Lots of time on AbeBooks, eBay, and in used book stores…

The Garrett books are fun, but light. The *Instrumentalities of the Night * are actually decent if you can keep track of everything. I think he’s trying his hand at a LoTR or Fire & Ice depth universe. Remains to be seen whether he can pull it off over a full triology+.

Most of mine have already been mentioned either as author and or book series.

My newest ones however seemed to have missed the cut

Alistair Reynolds

chasm city, redemption ark , absolution gap etc.

Neal Asher

hilldiggers , brassman , agent of polity etc.

Declan

Bruce Sterling

Neal Stephenson (caveat: have not tackled the Baroque cycle)

China Mieville (Iron Council dragged a little)

Declan, I’m just starting my first Asher book: Gridlinked

JK Rowling – loved every one of the Harry Potter books, although PoA is still, IMHO, the best.

Lois McMaster Bujold – everything she has written if both well written and FUN to read.

Patricia Briggs – I just finished her new Mercy Thompson book, Iron Kissed, and it is WONDERFUL.

I have to go with Ed McBain, John Irving, and Tabitha King.

No love for Jacqueline Susann? Yes, she wrote trashy novels, but they were damn good trashy novels.

For comics and short stories, I am a devoted Warren Ellis fan. (Though not nearly as rabid as some of them.) I haven’t read his novel yet. If any of you are interested in comics that don’t involve men in tights, give Fell a try. Ellis and Templesmith are a wonderful team.

My choices for classic Sci Fi are Ray Bradbury and Stanley Weinbaum. Much, much love for both of those.

I’ve enjoyed all the Neil Gaiman that I’ve read, though it’s not his whole body of work by far. So far I’ve made it through Neverwhere, Nocturnes and Preludes, Good Omens, Coraline, and am part way through Smoke and Mirrors.

And when I get the urge to read a superhero comic, I’ve yet to see anything that beats Kurt Busiek’s Astro City.

I’ll second Richard Russo - I’ve never been disappointed by his work.

And it’s purely coincidental, but there’s another Richard Russo, Richard Paul Russo, who writes sci fi, and I’ve never been disappointed in his work either.

I have a couple of things to catch up on (mostly the noirs he wrote under the penname Joe Kurtz), but my favorite genre author is Dan Simmons. The thing about Simmons is that while most of his fiction has been in the genre ghetto, he has moved between genres repeatedly. The list of novels for which he has won major awards covers fantasy, science fiction and horror:[ul]
[li]Song of Kali - World Fantasy Award 1986 [/li][li]Carrion Comfort - Bram Stoker Award 1989 [/li][li]Hyperion - Hugo Award 1990, Locus Award 1990 (Science Fiction) [/li][li]Children of the Night - Locus Award 1993 (Horror) [/li][li]Ilium - Locus Award 2004 (Science Fiction)[/li][/ul]He has also written the previously mentioned noirs, straight historical fiction (The Crook Factory) and a number of short story collections.

Nonfiction writers include Torey Hayden, Peg Bracken and Robert Fulghum.

Augusten Burroughs
David Sedaris
J.D. Salinger
Haven Kimmel
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Truman Capote
Shel Silverstein

Of authors who I’ve read at least 10 novels or collections from, these stand out:

Asimov at 100%, (even the Black Widowers), although I’ve read very little of his non-fiction.

Terry Pratchett at 98% (Monstrous Regiment was just bad but everything else is pure genius.)