ave in pace

What does the Latin text “ave in pace” mean? On Emperor Gallienus’ coin issued in the name of his wife Salonina 260-268. “Hail peace”?

Since I can’t find anything referencing “ave in pace”, are you talking about this coin? http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac75aur.html

Seems to be “AVG in pace” -> “augusta in pace”. here’s a book that mentions it.

Here’s a reference.

I can’t make out the inscription on the linked image of the coin. It doesn’t look like “Ave in pace,” but I cant read it.

Here’s another reference

so is anybody going to translate the phrase?

Make it easy for you … fill in the blanks …

Ave in Pace = <insert translation>
Aug in Pace = <insert translation>

<insert discussion of differences in usage>

If the inscription does say Ave in pace, that would translate to “Be happy in peace”. The various words Romans used as greetings were imperative forms of verbs that meant “to be well”, “to be healthy”, etc. Translating ave as “hail” conveys that it was used as a greeting, but not the literal meaning.

If, on the other hand, the inscription says Aug in pace, it would be just a sentence fragment – “Augustus in peace”.

I asked one of my other Latin teaching colleagues this today, and we couldn’t come up with anything different than what you said, basically, “greetings in peace” or like “be well/ strong in peace”

Purely for the sake of being pedantic, I would like to also add that technically, since avis is bird, it COULD (and I know it’s not) be with/by/from a bird in peace

I should have a real answer tomorrow when I ask the Latin Kings.

In Latin, our U and V were the same letter, written as “V” in upper case and “u” in lower case. So, to be pedantic, it’s “AVE” or “Aue”, or “AVG” or “Aug”. (And bird would be “auis” or “AVIS”).