Avro Vulcan Flies Again - video

Following on from this thread by Quartz, Avro Vulcan XH558 has been certified for flight. It has performed at a number of airshows since the start of July, and is looking for sponsorship for an ongoing display program.

We were lucky enough to be at Farnborough Airshow 2008, where CatInASuit took a few video clips of the Vulcan displaying. A few technical problems occurred, but the large Delta bomber flying was still the star of the show. I’ve put the rough cuts online here with Flash, for anyone interested. (The videos are embedded in Flash so allow for very slow download - currently they just loop. I’m planning to add playback controls and Quicktime versions but that could be some time).

Also, if anyone can recommend a cheap video editing package that can remove camera shake, it would be really useful. The ground moves when those things take off!

That’s great news, it’s been years since I’ve seen a Vulcan fly.

It would be good fun to see it sweeping over an air show, but I always preferred the look of the Victor.

Is this a good time to mention that the best condition Victor survivor, XM715, is also at Bruntingthorpe :smiley: ? There’s a clip of her taxi-ing here. Unfortunately it seems restoring her to flying condition isn’t feasible.

There was a Vulcan performing low-altitude aerobatics - and I use the term guardedly, since a whacking great plane like that isn’t exactly doing loops and stuff 100 feet from the ground - at an airshow in Somerset or Dorset sometime around 1992.

Of course, it was pants-wettingly spectacular, and to this day remains the loudest sound I’ve ever heard.

They’re apparently not cleared for flying in the UK, but I’d love to see an English Electric Lightning doing a low (fast) pass.

Well, you caught my eye with this title; I just read an article about the Avro Arrow, which apparently every Canadian and almost no Americans know about. Interesting stuff.

Not since “Roly” Falk smashed the windows in the Woodford plant by doing a barrel roll directly over it.

I saw it at Biggin Hill and I can remember the hanger doors vibrating as it did a low pass.