Awaiting new sci-fi books

I’m half-awaiting/half-dreading the release of the new Honor Harrington book later this year.

I’m **still **waiting for Melanie Rawn to write The Captal’s Tower. Eight years and counting. sigh

On the very bright side, though, I recently acquired Patricia McKillip’s Od Magic. She’s been publishing at least one wonderful novel every year or so for a while now.

Kage Baker’s next book in the Company series, The Children of the Company, is due out in November.

I was just looking on Amazon to see if Samuel Delany had ever followed up “Stars in my pocket like grains of sand.” Nope!

Its a little late in the day for a sequel to that mighty book, probably best just to let it lie.

I’m expecting Harlan Ellison to release the third Dangerous Visions collection any day now.

Steel Beach and the Golden Globe are both fantastic books. As good as the Gaia trilogy is, it can’t hold a candle to SB and GG.

Red Thunder is junior sci-fi. Competent and fun, but it reads like a novel intended to become a screenplay for a summer popcorn flick (which is what it is currently being developed for, I understand).

Personally, I like John Varley when he’s vicious and when he’s funny. The John Varley Reader, a collection of his best short stories, is definitely worth a read. Some of the stories in it are fairly bloodcurdling. He’s not afraid to kill off characters you aren’t expecting to die.

Just got Mammoth, and I’ll be getting to it as soon as I’m done with “To Crush The Moon,” by Wil McCarthy (last volume in the Queendom of Sol series, and already proving to be as sad as I’d anticipated).

I’m sort of reviving this thread, but does anyone have any idea when Eric Flint or Baen will be releasing more of his Assati Shards/1634 novels? Wasn’t one scheduled for this year?

Red Thunder was a bit of an homage to Heinlein’s juvenile books.

I’d put Mammoth in the same class as Red Thunder: junior sci-fi. It’s a good read, but it doesn’t grab me like a lot of his other stuff does.

The most recent was The Grantville Gazette which was released in print last November. But it’s an anthology not a novel.

…and November isn’t coming fast enough. And, when it comes, my husband and I will be fighting over the book.

::glee::

I was lucky enough to find a decent and decently priced copy of Mendoza in Hollywood on abebooks a couple days ago. It shipped yesterday. I wanted to wait for a reprint, like I did for The Graveyard Game, but there’s no word on if or when that might happen, so I bought it.

The Sterling book, is it a sequel to Dies The Fire (which was itself a sequel to a trilogy)? I read the first few chapters online, but never saw the book in the local shop, and so I’ve never read it.

I did, for reasons that defy rational explanation, picked up The Runes Of Earth: The Third Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I’m about halfway through the thing, and while I’m not enraptured like I was with the first trilogy, I will end up finishing it. And no, Stephenson hasn’t lost his thesaurus since the end of White Gold Wielder.

Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan
Already out in the UK. Not released here until September. :frowning:

The Protector’s War is the second book in the trilogy that began with Dies The Fire; the third book will be A Meeting at Corvallis. The Protector’s War is scheduled to be released on September 1, 2005.

I believe Neil Gaiman’s new book Anansi Boys will be out in the fall.

Heh, I’m still reading Shadow of Saganami,what’s the next book called?

Also, any idea when we’ll see a sequel to Crown of Slaves? I want to see more of Victor Cachat and Her Royal Incizorship, the Queen of Torch. I’ve recently developed the opinion that while David Weber made a great universe, he just doesn’t write in it nearly as well as some other authors do (if you don’t know what I mean, read the Worlds of Honor spinoffs, with such great stories as “Deckload Strike” and “A Ship Named Francis” :stuck_out_tongue: )