Aww, fuck it, let's just put everything we have in a bowl

Oh, no argument there – while neither is exactly my cup of tea, if I had to spend the afternoon at one or the other, I’ve little doubt that I’d choose the Monster Truck thing, unless attending a horse show was a prerequisite for getting some nooky or something. It’s just that they’re not – you know – remotely equivalent.

Are you really that nutritionally innocent?

Oyako Donburi, American Style-ee:
[ul]Calories: 289
Total Fat: 11.4g
Carbohydrates: 16.4g[/ul]

KFC Famous Bowl:
[ul]Calories: 690
Total fat: 31 grams
Carbohydrates: 77 grams[/ul]You can count on the gap being somewhat wider if you are comparing Japanese portion sizes.

It’s the new pizza crepe taco pancake chili bag. Only at Taco Town.

–FCOD

Anyone else see the “Malcolm in the Middle” where Lois makes leftover casserole where the layers are made of the previous week’s meals? That’s what this reminds me of. Like at KFC one day they realized they were throwing out bits of each dish and they thought, you know, we could combine these and make another meal.

But where are the biscuits?

Oyaka Donburi at 428 calories per serving, 207 from fat.

Oyaka Donburi at 409 calories per serving.

Oooooh! Here’s one at 623 calories a serving.

Fuck me! 916 calories a serving!

Dude, you cherry-picked a recipe that had exceptionally low calorie value. Theones I’ve linked were all from the first page of a google search.

Well, that one’s gotta be a typo. I can’t see how you could take the following…

1/2 teaspoon powder bonito fish stock dissolved in 1 cup of warm water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons mirin
3 cups cooked chicken, sliced thinly
1/2 medium Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
2 eggs stirred
6 cups cooked hot rice
1/2 sheet of nori, shredded or cut into strips with scissors

…split it into 4-6 servings, and have them come out to 916 calories apiece, unless you served them on large cubes of Schmaltz Jell-O.

To be fair, a hundred and sixty grams of rice is a… bit much for a serving.

=O.o=

I have a theory that “The Bowl” concept (Taco Bell’s Border Bowl, KFC’s Famous Bowl, etc.) is really a subliminal marketing tie in to the Davinci Code. It’s the grail of the fast food world, literally and figuratively.

Everything tastes better in a symbolic uterus!

You know, once a week or so, I have a bowl of mashed potatoes with corn and chicken gravy mixed in. I’ve been doing this for years. (Around Thanksgiving, I get festive and throw some whole cranberry sauce in…you may all give me a collective ‘eeeewwww’ right now :wink: ). It’s actually a pretty decent low-fat meal the way I make it.

ElzaHub thinks I should sue KFC for ripping off my idea.

Of course, the cheese should NEVER go on a mashed potato bowl. Whoever thought of that idea should be shot. The only time cheese belongs on gravy is in poutine.

E.

My friend Paul put it quite succinctly when we were discussing this new KFC item. He said:

“It’s a mini-trough for people!”

While I certainly concede the caloric argument, I hope you don’t really think I was being dishonest.

I just looked at the first return on my google search and assumed it was representative. My mistake.

I think the main thing is the fat though, really – anyway you slice it, KFC’s bowl is going to have about 300% more fat in a serving. Deep fried chicken, with gravy, and cheese, not to mention the butter and (hopefully) milk in the spuds. Dude! Kill me now!

Anyway, compare those recipes with a those that haven’t been adjusted for North American tastes, like this one, from the inimitable bento.com. See the difference?

When I first saw the commercial, I didn’t think much of the idea. But then a little voice in the back of my head said, “But if I were drunk, that would probably seem pretty darn tasty”. Hmmm…

Well, sure. When you’re drunk, your resistance to things that are bad for you goes way down.

It’s the same with sex. When you’re sober, you would never think “I am totally gonna fuck that bowl of mashed potatoes and chicken.” But when you’re drunk it seems like a great idea.

This? Comedy gold.

devilsknew, thank you for a most refreshing laugh!
Oh, the topic? The first time I saw the commercial, I went “the fuck?”, now I can’t see it without having to resist the urge to hop in the car and go get me some taters&stuff in a bowl.

True dat. (I’m trying not to think about that time I woke up with a Jalapeno Popper up my ass.)

There’s a whole category of food that only makes sense when you’re waaaaaay into your cups: Pickled eggs, rollmops, trotters, peas & cheese, poxy trollop…

The mashed potatoes and gravy, sure. Chicken? I’ll eat that with said potatoes already, so go ahead. Sweet corn? My grandpa always uses corn instead of other toppings on his baked potatoes, so I can totally see throwing that in. It’s really the cheese that gets to me. This cheese blend just seems to be coming out of nowhere. WHERE IS THE CHEESE COMING FROM?!

Mr. Creosote, is dat you?

:slight_smile:

Are you my Dad? When he was raising us on his own, he would try to stretch the last of the chili by putting it over mashed potatoes. We loved his chili. Over mashed potatoes, not so much.

However, my favorite ever non-sugar-laden comfort food is mashed potatoes with corn mixed in, so I can see the appeal of KFC’s bowl thingy.

OK, make that my second favorite ever non-sugar-laden comfort food after my Dad’s chili.

Depends on where you are from. In much of Mexico, flour tortillas are unheard of. But they are the speciality of some Northern States. There are racial/cultural/geographical/economic reasons why flour tortillas would be more prestigious in some communities.

Just wait 'til they take this thing to it’s logical conclusion. Throw all that shit in a blender with your Diet Pepsi and a scoop of ice, stick a straw in it, and serve it as a frappe.

needs cheese.